Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Antice

New bed's

12 posts in this topic

I dunno about anyone else, but i kinda hate how the vanilla minecraft bed is at vissual odds with the environment when one is camping outside by the campfire, (I do love the campfire, it ads soo much to the feel of being outside).

My suggestion is simple. add more bed's, different bed types should have different materials and recipies.

a simple progression may be something like this:

simple bedroll:

made by using 3 wool on top of 3 leather, or if animal skinning/butchering is implemented at some point. use 3 sheepskins in a row. maybe require some thread or a special tool for sewing. (needle could be made by combining a bone and a piece of flint. sort of like the flint is used up when carving a needle from the bone.)

wooden bed: this is more like the vanilla bed. it shoudl be crafted by making a bedframe, planks in a H form maybe? then combining that with a bedroll.

metal bed: kinda the same deal as the wooden one, except it would need you to maybe forge a bedframe first. like one metal ingot = 2 metal rods, then you would need to weld 2 and 2 of them together to make each part of the bed. 2 endpieces and the pair of connecting beams. combine with a bedroll for a nice looking and comfy sleeping device.

In order to motivate the player to progress trough the bed levels, one could add some advantages to the better bed's. Giving the player a potion effect like strenght, and/or speed, for the next 5 minutes after sleeping wouldn't be too overpowered for the later bed stages, but would still add a nice new feeling of progression trough the game.

Hehe good idea! How about a bed that can be made way before those. Like one you'd make before you can get wool and leather. Add fallen leaves to the mod. Collect the leaves and craft with your inventory crafting grid to make a leaf pile bed.

would like, makes you have the feeling of a tent at the start

I definitely like the idea of having an effect applied to you after sleeping in a better bed.

perhaps bedrolls could stack in stacks of 2 or 4, this would make them extremely useful on SMP treks.

perhaps bedrolls could stack in stacks of 2 or 4, this would make them extremely useful on SMP treks.

Wouldn't that be kinda counter to realism? When i pack my bags to go camping in RL. the bedroll usually takes up a quarter or more of the volume of my pack. with the remainder split between food/clothing and equipement.

Minecraft avatars are incredibly strong tho.. carrying large piles of logs at once and stuff.

My question is when you go camping are you able to carry over a thousand cubic meters of stone cause I'll tell you right now I think it would be hard to carry 1 cubic meter. The game's ability to carry a lot is overweighted on purpose that way its actually possible to make large structures that would otherwise take dump trucks, bulldozers, and cranes. There is nothing realistic about that like I've said before reality is a constraint (and a good guideline sometimes) this game is suppose to be better than reality not the same.

My question is when you go camping are you able to carry over a thousand cubic meters of stone cause I'll tell you right now I think it would be hard to carry 1 cubic meter. The game's ability to carry a lot is overweighted on purpose that way its actually possible to make large structures that would otherwise take dump trucks, bulldozers, and cranes. There is nothing realistic about that like I've said before reality is a constraint (and a good guideline sometimes) this game is suppose to be better than reality not the same.

I did not mean that the game should conform to reality, but it should approximate reality in those areas where it does not cause the game to become too tedious, and where it adds something to the survival aspects. inventory management is an important part of surviving int he wild, and it should not be too easy to do.

That is why tools cannot be stacked. and imho a bed is a tool item. just like a workbench. being able to carry hundreds of metric tonnes of stone is imo overpowered. and i think that the same stacking rule for lumber should be used for stone and dirt also.

But this is the way i roll when playing with this mod. I play a lot of mods, and i have other mods like redpower 2 that i use when i feel like making something that is just purdy, or if i want to build really OP machinery and stuff.

You could take some of the design ideas from the CampCraft mod. You have a tent, you have sleeping bags, and it can all compact into a nice little shelter that you can carry in a inventory slot.

I really like the idea of some bedding that doesn't require sheep. I like the thought of using leather, because leather was useless enough in Vanilla and now we can't even make bad armor with it (not that we want it in Terra Firma!). I propose a new use for leather: making a tent! Accompanying this would be a massive reduction in the drop rates for leather, so you'd have to really push for it in order to have a tent in the first day. Face it, either way you are going to be able to make a safe shelter the first night. I think it would be a bit more fun to camp out in a tent on the first night instead of having to sit in some pitch black hole with some wood planks above you.

In short, +1 to more beds. OP, perhaps your metal bed idea could be a bunk bed so in multiplayer you could share a bunk with your buddies.

As for the pre-wool bedding, I like the idea of surviving a night with leave but perhaps there should be another way to craft it. Perhaps if you use a Flint Tool on a leaf block, it breaks the leaf block similar to shears, losing the flint tool in the process. Placing two leaf blocks on the ground (and maybe a leather on top of it for a blanket?) would create a special bed entity that you could sleep in. It would also fit in with the other constructions mechanics already in place. Since it would make sense that if you are able to cut down a tree with flint & a stick that you could also lop off a branch that has a bunch of leaves on it.

No, do not reduce the amount of leather drops, kill / finding cows is hard enough on day 1

Add fallen leaves to the mod. Collect the leaves and craft with your inventory crafting grid to make a leaf pile bed.

Hmm, and the leaves would fall automatically, or we should activelly try and collect them? I see several ways...

• If seasons where implemented (don't tell me you didn't saw this one coming), we could make certain trees to lose the leaves, just like the real world. They would appear in the ground, like flint stones, but close to a tree.
  • We could collect them from the trees the same we colect the solid rock blocks, by leaving the block in mid air unconnected to anything.
  • When you chop a tree down, there's a certain provability of the uncollected leaf blocks to turn into fallen leaf blocks in the ground.
The first is harder, but the others aren't so hard from my point of view. Maybe the last is the easiest. Since we already have code that destroy the leaf blocks, it should't be so hard to count how many leaf blocks are destroyed, pick a random percent of that number and spawn the leaf block items next to the wood items. "We destroy ten leaf blocks with this tree... *diceroll* ok, drop four leaf blocks". Does that sound fair?

You could take some of the design ideas from the CampCraft mod. You have a tent, you have sleeping bags, and it can all compact into a nice little shelter that you can carry in a inventory slot.

Not in my name!

That's too simplified, in fact I have run away from that mod in vanilla and technic. Kind of reminds me a Morrowind mod I used for a camping tent. The tent ended up clogged with chests full of armor pieces to sell, selfes full of enchanted scrolls and all kind of parafernalia weighting a pair of tonns in total; but since the tent weighted only 75kg and ocuppied one inventory slot... The leather tent, if it's made, should be individual blocks you can place and remove to form a roof, like in the ropes mod or the rubber sheets of industrial craft 2, not a magic block you shoot and forget.

( What kind of terminator could kill enough cows to sleep in a leather tent the first night, anyway? Think you need the workbench, too, and that means four flint tools, getting enough wood... then going after the cows. Chuck Norris would be proud! )