Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Dark_Demon

Mod "Review" + Bonus: My Red/Blue Monument

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

After finishing the metal chain, I decided to write a post about my opinions and ideas about the mod.

I have to start with the fact that the mode is absolutely amazing. 

The depth, the complexity. Just stunning.  

Taking the best aspects of real-life survival and combining with minecraft, which misses difficulty in the survival aspect.

But there are issues in my opinion, which make me describe the mod as "incomplete".

First, the survival is hard only in the beginning, and afterwards, it is extremely easy. Why?

1. After making a bed, there is no reason what so ever to ever meet mobs.

They don't drop anything useful what so ever (zombies and wrought iron ingots being the only exception, and it is just not worth it),

and you don't meet them underground, because cave exploring is stupid because of the way ores spawn.

2. You can collect enough seeds and bushes on the first summer for eternity.

Once every year or so you'll have to kill a single animal, but that's it.

Second, colored steels aren't worth it, at all. I never used a tool of higher tier than steel.

a. Nickel is just so so rare.

b. On SP, they just take too much time and effort. 

c. Good weapons and armor aren't useful late-game, because you don't meet any mobs, ever.

d. The small efficiency boost does not compensate for the huge waste in metals.

black steel ingot uses 150% steel ingots, and a bunch of other metals, and has only ~140% of  the durability of steel.

red/blue steel ingot uses 250% steel ingots, and even more other metals, and has only ~200% of the durability of steel.

Third, after finishing the metal chain, there is nowhere to go.

There is a feeling that something is missing, if the colored steels are the goal, why do they have uses?

If I finish at blue steel,  will I have a chance to use the bucket?

The way I see to fix all of these issues, is late-game content. 

Even adding a bunch of achievements, without changing the mod at all, can give a reason to go fight mobs and create colored steels.

Or a boss fight. Mob drops will allow access to the fight and say placing water and lava will be needed as well. 

The boss can be made too hard to deal with without very high tier weapons and armor.

This mod is amazing, and in my opinion can be even more amazing.

I would love to hear others opinions on those issues & ideas.

Yours,

Dark_Demon

p.s. as promised, my red/blue monument:

Posted Image

I really like this post. I agree that TerraFirmaCraft needs more end game content. Most of the fun in the game is had from the stone age to the iron age.

Very good summary of some problem areas of the mod. I'm sure that in due time each one will be addressed in one way or another. The work is simply a massive undertaking. Other modders are of course invited to make add ons. Unfortunately, the game is subject to vicious cycles of game-breaking releases. The next anticipated release b79 will without doubt break worlds generated with the b78 release and a fresh start is required.

But there are issues in my opinion, which make me describe the mod as "incomplete".

You should remember that this mod is incomplete as it's still in beta. Anyway your post shows most of the problems that I had in mind when i'm playing TFC.

I have to make this point regularly, Iron/Steel is endgame as far as I'm concerned. The colored metals exist to add challenge but I have always considered iron/steel to be the endpoint of metal progression for the majority of players. Beyond those they become a luxury which is why the reward of those metals don't always feel like they justify the time spent.