Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gelondil

Chisels and mining stone

11 posts in this topic

This is two suggestions, but they are related:

1: Chisels as stone gathering tools:

It seems to me a chisel should be usable as a pick to mine native stone directly into block form without carving around it. (ala silk touch)

2: Sledgehammers as stone busting / cobblestone gathering tools:

In the same way a chisel should be usable as a pick, a hammer should also be usable for the heavy-labor portion of mining, to bust through hard stone quickly and easily. I have difficulty seeing how someone could make a pick blade out of chunks of claystone and break walls of granite with it. This could also be used for progression and efficiency as well, by requiring picks for gathering ores but allowing a player a little more ease when they are actually digging.

1. Chisels can already do that, but you still need the pick to remove it from the wall.

2. Claystone makes the weakest type of stone pick... The hardness of the stone is considered when making stone tools. I don't think mining speed is affected though, so that is something to consider.

2a. If you are in a mine, the last thing you want to do is shock the nearby rock with a large heavy hammer. Picks are much safer and cause less cave-ins.

It would be nice to have the option in order to increase your mining speed before you can find better picks, though.

As for ease of mining, I'd like to have some more natural way to repair my tools. In reality you can't just fuse two broken picks together to get a working one. If your pick gets dull, you grind it back to shape. If the handle breaks, you remove it and put a fresh one in. Perhaps sandpaper/handle replacement could be added to the game? Maybe a tool could only be sanded down once or twice.

1. Chisels can already do that

Actually, they can't. I'm talking about using a chisel to cut regular (not smooth) stone blocks from the wall, with a left-click action like a pick would do, but without breaking it into cobblestone pieces or needing to remove all the other blocks around it. Like I said, Ala the silk touch enchantment.

2. Claystone makes the weakest type of stone pick... The hardness of the stone is considered when making stone tools.

All stone picks have the same hardness. Claystone picks have less durability but can still cut through granite just as easily as granite picks can.

Yes, hammers are more likely to cause cave-ins, precisely *because* they have more blunt force in the swings, but proper reinforcement is still relevant. In the end, this is a quantity over quality issue. I could see a hammer having a % chance to reduce the targeted stone to useless rubble scraps instead of cobblestone.

My guess is the hammers in TFC are more "driving a nail" sized. Not SLEDGEHAMMER SMASH sized since it's designed to work metal.

And I don't think using chisels to MAKE smoothstone would be all that realistic. I dunno. Maybe wrong.

Let me follow your suggestion with another suggestion.. maybe make mining with a chisel make gem drops somewhat more likely? And make ore blocks drop more ores?

Since chisels are designed for that sort of purpose in mind.

-Goes to thread this-

Well I guess this basically brings up the issue of just how many tools can we have in the game before a player is overwhelmed? I was thinking about a machete weapon/item that functioned as an offhand weapon while also allowing you to cut down leaves from trees and get more sticks/saplings back. But players already have to carry a lot of tools as it is, unless they micromanage with a chest. I don't carry a chisel around because even if it did cut regular stone from rock, I wouldn't need it for anything (smooth stone is better and useable in recipes) and it would just be one extra inventory slot used up. I think it already works perfect, because a chisel alone isn't going to get a cubic meter of rock out of a wall, but it can sure help you smooth it and get it into the right shape.

And, yes, chisels can do that. Right click, it turns into smooth stone. Then break it with a pickaxe.

Actually, they can't. I'm talking about using a chisel to cut regular (not smooth) stone blocks from the wall, with a left-click action like a pick would do, but without breaking it into cobblestone pieces or needing to remove all the other blocks around it. Like I said, Ala the silk touch enchantment.

All stone picks have the same hardness. Claystone picks have less durability but can still cut through granite just as easily as granite picks can.

Yes, hammers are more likely to cause cave-ins, precisely *because* they have more blunt force in the swings, but proper reinforcement is still relevant. In the end, this is a quantity over quality issue. I could see a hammer having a % chance to reduce the targeted stone to useless rubble scraps instead of cobblestone.

DO YOU REALLY THINK SLEDGEHAMMERS ARE USED FOR MINING IN REAL LIFE!!!!???

Well I guess this basically brings up the issue of just how many tools can we have in the game before a player is overwhelmed? I was thinking about a machete weapon/item that functioned as an offhand weapon while also allowing you to cut down leaves from trees and get more sticks/saplings back. But players already have to carry a lot of tools as it is, unless they micromanage with a chest. I don't carry a chisel around because even if it did cut regular stone from rock, I wouldn't need it for anything (smooth stone is better and useable in recipes) and it would just be one extra inventory slot used up. I think it already works perfect, because a chisel alone isn't going to get a cubic meter of rock out of a wall, but it can sure help you smooth it and get it into the right shape.

And, yes, chisels can do that. Right click, it turns into smooth stone. Then break it with a pickaxe.

If I can carry one pick to open up the cave and one sledgehammer to clear the rubble, then I'm actually carrying less than the 4 picks I normally would to clear the same area.

It seems you still don't understand... Again, I'm talking about using a chisel to harvest regular stone blocks off the wall so that I can have a seamless stone block to place where I want. Not using a chisel to make a smooth stone block and then cutting said smooth stone block off the wall...

DO YOU REALLY THINK SLEDGEHAMMERS ARE USED FOR MINING IN REAL LIFE!!!!???

First: Relax and please stop shouting. The caps and multiple exclamation points are not appropriate to a regular discussion.

Second: Do you really think a stone pick can cut through granite in real life?

And finally: Yes, absolutely yes! Especially in a pit mine where there is no risk of cave-ins, to break up stone with mineral deposits inside. But even inside a mine, a hammer can be used to break down large boulders after the stone has been loosed from the wall. Apparently you've never made flux before in-game: the concept is identical, only the scale is different.

Not only can a maul be used for breaking stone directly, it's invaluable as a tool for spiking stone that's too hard to cut with a simple pick.

I might repeat something I said somewhere else relating to this discussion to help clarify what people are talking about

Rename the stone you retrieve by mining adjacent blocks to have the prefix "Rough" or "Raw" vs just "Granite" or what have you. After mining out the adjacent blocks, the one you get would be called "Rough Granite" or "Rough Schist" etc. what ever the stone is (just examples).

Well I guess this basically brings up the issue of just how many tools can we have in the game before a player is overwhelmed? I was thinking about a machete weapon/item that functioned as an offhand weapon while also allowing you to cut down leaves from trees and get more sticks/saplings back. But players already have to carry a lot of tools as it is, unless they micromanage with a chest.

I think it's completely reasonable to have a lot of tools. That's realistic. And you don't need to carry around your saw, when you're miner/going to mine some ores.

If I can carry one pick to open up the cave and one sledgehammer to clear the rubble, then I'm actually carrying less than the 4 picks I normally would to clear the same area.

It seems you still don't understand... Again, I'm talking about using a chisel to harvest regular stone blocks off the wall so that I can have a seamless stone block to place where I want. Not using a chisel to make a smooth stone block and then cutting said smooth stone block off the wall...

First: Relax and please stop shouting. The caps and multiple exclamation points are not appropriate to a regular discussion.

Second: Do you really think a stone pick can cut through granite in real life?

And finally: Yes, absolutely yes! Especially in a pit mine where there is no risk of cave-ins, to break up stone with mineral deposits inside. But even inside a mine, a hammer can be used to break down large boulders after the stone has been loosed from the wall. Apparently you've never made flux before in-game: the concept is identical, only the scale is different.

Not only can a maul be used for breaking stone directly, it's invaluable as a tool for spiking stone that's too hard to cut with a simple pick.

IF you tend that it can break boulders... Fine by me.. what i meant is that you where trying to break stone right out of a wall

which seemed crazy. And yes i have made flux before... Keep in mind tho that flux is obtained by only several types of roc

I would suggest that the stone pickaxe gets replaced with a stone hammer for rock breaking

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0