Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Waz

[79.6] Prospecting seems less useful - gravel layer?

9 posts in this topic

I'm relatively new to the game and prospecting is of course no exact science, but I feel I'm getting a lot less positives from surface prospecting than in 0.78, and I'm wondering if this is the new gravel layer often putting the goodies out-of-range of the prospectors pick?

The gravel layer and new mining collapse mechanics are already making mining harder, so it being harder to find ores from the surface compounds the difficulty. Seems just as useful to just look in crevasses and forget digging elsewhere.

It's entirely possible. However, being able to use the prospector's pick on just about any block and getting a good reading never really made much sense anyways, since it's supposed to be a tool used to get rock scrapings.

Why would you use the ProPick on the surface anyways? Just look until you find nuggets, dig down at the average center and prospect from there. Although I agree that Crevasses are great places to find ores that are already uncovered. I don't see the gravel layer as a problem since I always dig down to stone anyway.

What is the average center now?

I haven't really played since the new ore generation was introduced, and before that you could tell at which height in a layer the ore would generate.

But anyhow, wouldn't it be better to dig not too deep while searching, as digging down is always safer than digging up?

The propick still works fine even with the new gravel layer, just the area you can find ore is much smaller now. On the other hand the world now has much more ravines than before, which will allow you to search underground often. You can as well scan around mountains, which will allow you to "peek" inside. And if everything else fails, you'll need to use a ladder and a hole to get down to the stone layer and prospect from there.

Nuggets on the surface are a dead give-away that there is ore around, and the amount of nuggets tell you how close it will be to the surface. The downside is that some "ores" do not produce nuggets, most importantly graphite, kaolinite and borax. But then you will usually find enough ore by prospecting on the surface.

I never did quite understand people's fascination with Borax. All you have to do is go find one of the flux-stones (Chalk, Dolomite, Limestone, Marble), and you never ever have to worry about getting flux again. 

I never did quite understand people's fascination with Borax. All you have to do is go find one of the flux-stones (Chalk, Dolomite, Limestone, Marble), and you never ever have to worry about getting flux again.

In my world I searched an area of about 8000x8000 blocks around my spawn and haven't found neither. I just got lucky and stumbled over some surface Borax, otherwise I would still be in the stone age.

In my world I searched an area of about 8000x8000 blocks around my spawn and haven't found neither. I just got lucky and stumbled over some surface Borax, otherwise I would still be in the stone age.

In my experience it is easier to find flux-stones than rock-salt (only 1 rock type).

Well I got lucky then, I got 3 rock-salt spots, several andesite and gabbro and one quarzite area. ;)