Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SierraKhaar

Idea for a cool adition to smithing + "Quality Control"

10 posts in this topic

I got this idea when posting in DarkDurza's suggestion.

So by quickly putting (some metals) into water the metal hardens, good for weapons (bad for tools).

But as Bioxx stated in his latest news post, TFC is not supposed to be realistic, but believable.

My idea (Not all numbers are final):

IMO this idea will give smithing in the game a "slow-mo" moment, where you hold your breath and

hope for the best.

When you've done your tool/weapon out of an ingot, its still hot (Hot+ - hot++++).

Those four stars are all that matters in "Quality control", it takes 1-2 seconds for each star to tick down.

Every star represents a (possible) quality outcome.

Chances of what quality you can get

(The numbers just examples, its always better to beta test these kind of things):

Hot++++ - 60% Perfect, 25% Good 10% Normal 5% Bad

Hot+++ - 20% Perfect, 60% Good 15% Normal 5% Bad

Hot++ - 10% Perfect, 50% Good 20% Normal 20% Bad

Hot+ - 5% Perfect, 40% Good 20% Normal 25% Bad

Perfect - 100% Durability - +25% speed, +25% damage

Good - 90% Durability - +15% speed, +10% damage

Normal - 70% Durability - The default stats

Bad - 60% Durability - -20% speed, -20% damage

NOTE: With different durability for every quality, you only need to pick up the item to see if you got lucky (since the icon shows dur.).

NOTE: Stone tools will not be able to get any quality control, so stone will always give a "normal".

Also not getting full durability when using stone hammer / anvil makes sense, since you need good tools to make good tools.

(Yes, I am aware that the durability on stone tools needs a buff in that case).

Imagine the moment you've thrown it in the water and that second you wait before picking it up.

"Did I throw it in fast enough?"

"Please not a bad again!"

And how happy you get when getting a perfect.

This way some lower tiers might be better then standard higher tiers.

Also you will starting loving your tools, and get sad on the final hit on that stupid rock.

Maybe a system that you need a higher level hammer then the metal you are forming to be able to do quality control?

I dunno, speculate and please like this idea, because I want it ingame so my water by the anvil don't feel useless! ;D

This is in there but instead of being based upon the heat of the metal you are working it is based upon your strike pattern. Get it perfect and you get 100% durability. Miss by being high or low and you produce a weapon/tool that has some durability removed from the finished product.

I do not like that you need luck for something, I want skill to make you better items.

Yeah I can understand that but the numbers in my suggestion was not final as I wrote twice.

Even a expert blacksmith is not 100% sure he has done the best he could with a weapon/tool.

Randomness / chance is realistic/believable.

Have to agree with: Michidez in this. I prefer that a game reward intent rather than just be random... I am still weighing how I feel about the amount of metal I get from a chunk of ore a bit and I am thinking there should be a better way to do that mechanic.

What if each block of ore had a x% chance to drop an extra unit of ore? And maybe higher quality tools allow this percentage to increase. Stone tools would be say 0-2%, then 2-4, etc. Something small enough to make it plausible without over balancing.

While this is a bit off topic I just meant to put the random where it should be, and as Rogue mentioned its random when you are gathering it. Not when you are processing it (Cause honestly you should know that the piece of ore you just put on a fire is 1/4th the size of the last one you put on the fire).

Anywho, it was to reduce how much metal you got from ore down to like 5% or 10% but then to increase and vary the amount dropped per block. TO keep the same ratio you would get 3-8 per block or 1-4 depending on which set.

Yeah I wasn't talking about random numbers in the smelting, just the gathering/mining since that seemed to make more sense and not punish people that don't like things being random (with a possibility of loss). Thanks for clarifying that a bit Crysyn.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0