Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
hoseja

Tree grow mechanic - sprouts

13 posts in this topic

So I had an Idea for how trees could grow - the top block of a tree would be a sprout that with a similar mechanic as a sapling would turn into piece of wood and another sprout plus some new leaves after some time. I can see this working very easily with White Cedars, not sure about how other trees could be implemented.

So yeah, just my stupid idea I had while out biking; if you don't understand my lame explanation, I may elaborate later.

I like this idea a lot. I think it would work well for all trees since that's basically how they grow IRL. Maybe if it was implemented so that after the tree grew a certain amount the bottom leaves would decay up to a certain point. I don't know how hard that would be to code but that essentially how trees grow IRL. After they reach a certain height and grow enough leaves the shade created by the upper leaves causes the lower leaves to wither and die since they are no longer needed to produce nutrients for the tree. Trees are very efficient like that, they stop feeding any part of themselves that isn't doing photosynthesis.

+1

But, I do not know if this is possible in minecraft… -_-

Thought of something like it before, I had an idea that it would just start as 1 block with some leaves next to it, like the jungle scrubs. And how longer it was growing how bigger they grew and more leaves they have.

Or it's a cute sapling, then a bigger but still a 2d sprite, and then the blocks start coming!

how about normal trees follow the same growth pattern as apple etc. trees. Problem solved. They start with a single bit of trunk, that grows upward, eventually getting branches and leaves.

First should be a little sprout as regular sappling, then a sappling, then thick wood(like apple trees) with small leaves, then small size tree with regular wood blocks and regular leaves and followed by a bigger tree, as in vanilla minecraft happens sometimes they "bug" and grow super size.

+1, i'd love to see my tree farm growing into the sky and further... i could even create a castle in the trees!

Another thing, the trees should grow roots in the ground, making dirt blocks become wood or "roots" blocks, and going in the direction of any subterranean water source.

That'd be cool, just go caving and find a tree root. XD

If this is possible than i support it 100%! If its not possible i still support it 100%

+1 for growing trees...like the idea

well i was always wondering if trees actually grow in minecraft.........i will see to creating a little special place for my GIANT HICKORY TREE :D

anyways hope this gets implemented +1

I like this idea a lot. I think it would work well for all trees since that's basically how they grow IRL. Maybe if it was implemented so that after the tree grew a certain amount the bottom leaves would decay up to a certain point. I don't know how hard that would be to code but that essentially how trees grow IRL. After they reach a certain height and grow enough leaves the shade created by the upper leaves causes the lower leaves to wither and die since they are no longer needed to produce nutrients for the tree. Trees are very efficient like that, they stop feeding any part of themselves that isn't doing photosynthesis.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I have to say- of course you like this, its a sample of fractal tree growth. Now we just need fractal mountain formation, tree/branch placement, and everything else that exists in the universe generated with fractals.

Would it wreck too many computers to make trees an entity of sorts? I've always wanted better looking trees, bigger and better branches/leaf placement. And then, chopping it down could spawn an appropriate amount of sideways logs on the ground adjacent, instead of raining logs.

Also, I like this idea. +1