Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maga

Wolf Proof Fences

9 posts in this topic

This is just a small quality of life change for people tending to animals.

Currently wolves are able to attack and kill your livestock right through a fence block (wood fence, stone fence, even support beams can be penetrated). Now I can see the reasons why this might be considered a "feature" but really, making a castle wall to protect my sheep seems like over-kill. Are the devs open to looking at making fences wolf-proof (and bear-proof)?

If you tie a wolf to a fence post, it will sit down and won't attack anything. My suggestion is to keep the darn thing on a leash when you're walking around at home, the same way you keep an untrained dog on a leash IRL

Most fixes that i can think of for this sound hard or undesirable, changing the mob AI or the fence width. I think the most usefull change would be making pasive animals (or just tame) try to get away from wolves. This should keep them away from the side of the fence the wolves are on. Unfortunately thats probably the hardest thing to do. I dont know how hard changing the mob AI is in mods

If you tie a wolf to a fence post, it will sit down and won't attack anything. My suggestion is to keep the darn thing on a leash when you're walking around at home, the same way you keep an untrained dog on a leash IRL

I think he is means for wild wolves.

This is great advice, we have an inescapable doghouse far from the livestock and it works well. We did lose 2 sheep to the butt scooching bug a while ago tho :P

What I am more concerned about is the spawning of wild wolves... I was told that bears, deer and wolves all re-spawn now and I'm concerned that a wolf will eventually spawn around (or even worse, IN) my pastures. Perhaps you could help ease my concerns by detailing the specifics of wolf and bear spawning behavior. The wiki page is blank on this one atm.

Light level requirments?

Does it need a grass block?

Does the spawn protection mechanic stop wild wolves from spawning?

These are the three main questions I have.

Thanks <3

ah yes, wild wolves. If you're really concerned, you could put a fence post in the centre of the pen and tie all the animals to it. That requires a lot of rope, but it should keep them from the edges of the enclosure.

It looks like sheep should already try to avoid wolves, but we'll see what happens.

ah yes, wild wolves. If you're really concerned, you could put a fence post in the centre of the pen and tie all the animals to it. That requires a lot of rope, but it should keep them from the edges of the enclosure.

It looks like sheep should already try to avoid wolves, but we'll see what happens.

...Won't do much good if the wolf spawns in the pen... But can it? I really don't know. Are the spawning conditions for wild wolves something you want to keep less-known?

Double up on fences? Two layers are better than one. Would be nice not to have them pop into existence randomly in your pen though.

In fact I have doubled fences as a workaround, it just looks bad imo. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0