Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
JoekerJoe

More advanced chemistry

36 posts in this topic

Oh! You guys want Large derails? Check out the SECOND BIGGEST DERAIL EVER! In the scorched ground thread.

P.S. Let's stop.

Warning! Diarrhea of the brain.. aka: Wall of text!

People had the concept of electricity as far back as the first homo sapien witnessing the lightning bolt... People knew they could generate static with wool. Thades in ancient Greece (amber and theories on magnetism) and egypt/middle east (baghdad battery).

People also knew that the current given off by electrical eels and catfish was electricity (or lightning as was part of the nickname given to the eel). These creatures were often held in captivity, and sick people made to touch them so their ailments could be healed... though i am sure they were "shocked" to find out it didnt work.

ELECTRICITY BEFORE ITS TIME?

While the baghdad battery isn't absolutely beyond a doubt proof of electricity before historically recorded electrical findings and patents... there is also no evidence condemning whether or not it was indeed a battery. Makes you think.

Did ancient egyptians have actual operable lamps using plants with a high acidic content? Sure a potato doesnt have enough acid to generate a strong electrical current, but plant-matter with high acidic content chemically broken down could supply enough "juice" to provide an electrical current which could in turn heat a thin copper filament which would, in a vacuumous chamber, provided a prolonged glow.

And we all, I am guessing, know that putting a lit match in jar and sealing it can cause a vacuum as the oxygen is consumed by the flame.

CHEMISTRY AND IT'S MAGICAL APPEAL:

What did or did not happen along the timeline of TFC's given era could strictly be kept to what is "historically documented". However if we could step outside of this historical documentation, and look at the archeological discoveries that have been made that do not have historical documents attatched to them, as well as read theoretical writings that have later been proven to be a reality, the realm of believability is not breached, and dare i say that Chemistry could in fact be the answer to "magic" in TFC that we have been looking for?

Or not.. Who wants a sandwich?

Given that we ever start using some form of primitive electricity in Terrafirmacraft, we have the perfect filliment for ancient light bulbs.

Mind you it would be an expensive and temporary light source but it's certainly a use for all that graphite.

Edit: Actually, if the Redstone mechanics are rewritten, Graphite would probably be the perfect material for making Redstone Torches.

Given that we ever start using some form of primitive electricity in Terrafirmacraft, we have the perfect filliment for ancient light bulbs.

Mind you it would be an expensive and temporary light source but it's certainly a use for all that graphite.

Edit: Actually, if the Redstone mechanics are rewritten, Graphite would probably be the perfect material for making Redstone Torches.

That's the principal behind arc lights, two graphite rods forming the terminals of a spark gap.

This topic is more suited for this discution it is a idea (not mine) to replace potions.

Yes it is and if you would see that topic you would be mind blown , if not than just stuborn :)

-Krski

Yes it is and if you would see that topic you would be mind blown , if not than just stuborn :)

-Krski

I have seen the brewing topic and like the idea. Anyway, this topic is about more advanced chemistry such as redstone and electricity and the like, but that is about alcohol. If I am missing something here as to how the two topics are similar enough to discuss advanced chemistry in a topic about the quite primitive brewing of alcohol, then please tell me. :)

Well first we are living in the : x >1500's and we have not yet discovered electic current and it is more logical to mess around with alchemy and brewing to survive and to please our selves in this cruel world . Plus the money we can get is insane or the servents , i think that people would actually work for drinks instead of gold or diamond beacuse of the fun bit of it. :)

-Krski

People have discovered electric current since the ancient times. What you are talking about is how to CONTROL electric current. Just because we haven't discovered how to control electric current in that time period in real life doesn't mean that we can't use it. Like YOU have said, this game isn't realism, it is believability. There were NEVER any walking skeletons, or zombies, or creepers. But there are plans to make them more believable. As long as we can make it believable, it is fine.

Nevertheless, simply because we have not discovered electric current in the perceived timeframe of the game does not give you a logical reason to discuss it in a topic of an entirely different nature.

People have discovered electric current since the ancient times. What you are talking about is how to CONTROL electric citems. Just because we haven't discovered how to control electric current in that time period in real life doesn't mean that we can't use it. Like YOU have said, this game isn't realism, it is believability. There were NEVER any walking skeletons, or zombies, or creepers. But there are plans to make them more believable. As long as we can make it believable, it is fine.

Nevertheless, simply because we have not discovered electric current in the perceived timeframe of the game does not give you a logical reason to discuss it in a topic of an entirely different nature.

Well put. Are you sure you aren't a politician? I'll vote for you... just saying.

The fact that this is a game, and regardless of whether or not pharaohs used car batteries or aliens took Elvis, I can see electricity being used in this mod in a chemistry-like, end-gamish, almost magically mundane kinda way.

Well put. Are you sure you aren't a politician? I'll vote for you... just saying.

The fact that this is a game, and regardless of whether or not pharaohs used car batteries or aliens took Elvis, I can see electricity being used in this mod in a chemistry-like, end-gamish, almost magically mundane kinda way.

Nothing to say against this - but it still remains less 'believable'.

Going from zero to electricity is not the way it would take - not even in a parallel reality.

You need something in between - something that give the people the NEED for using electricity - something like machines & devices.

So it would be more reasonable, to give some sort of machines to the player, that he can use for work - based on gears, axes, etc. pp. and THEN give them the way to invent an alternative for powering them without the use of his own hands.

But the real question is, if this way of invention is planed for this mod, or if bioxx & his team want to keep it simple.

At the moment there is no indication, that TFC will go this way.