Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
CreepyCreeps100

Thermometers/Glass addition

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys now that bioxx has added temperatures to the ambient i can finally add my thermometer suggestion to this lovely forum. I know i have to keep these separate but they are both required to make the item.

First of all we need to extract mercury from cinnabar ore by crushing it, making sulfuric powder which then has to be thrown in a rotary furnace separating the mercury from the sulfur by evaporating the metal. To collect the evaporated metal that is where glass condensing tubes come in.

The glass tubes need to be placed inside the furnace in the corresponding slots (most similar to how the forge works with molds) or else the metal is lost in the air causing the player some severe poisoning if to close to the source. After that you will happen to have a tube full of pure mercury which can be used as you please.

To create the thermometer block you need a glass works, a placeable block crafted by using 5 stone in a boat shape with the rest filled with cobble of the same stone you are using. This block functions similarly to the metallurgy table except with the use of plans and two new buttons called "Blow" and "Float" to create the item you want.

In order to use the table you need to melt the glass back down to a blob and put the required amount of glass required to make the item. The glass has to be placed in a certain order to obtain the final result. In order to create the thermometer you need to place the two vertical rows of glass top to bottom and one slot away from each other and place the plan in the slot and press the "Blow" button to make the thermometer. To fill the thermometer simply place it on the ground and right click it with a tube of mercury. The Mercury tube will drain out and fill the thermometer leaving you with an empty vile to be used again in the furnace. Notice tho that the mercury will evaporate in the summer or in high temperature areas then requiring you to fill it again. You do not want to place the thermometer next to your crops or the plant will decease and leave you with nothing.

Hope you guys like the idea. How to crate the rotary furnace? I will leave that up yo you since i explained a fair amount to you above by bashing your head in with a ton of words closely attached together with other paragraphs. By means, See you in the comments :D :D :D :D

Hmmmmmm... Not bad of an idea and in a way it reminds me IC... Could be intresting if it was implemented...

A bit too high tech for this mod I thing.

Am I seeing an add-on mod for TFC that adds high-tech machines and what not ;)

A bit too high tech for this mod I thing.

Am I seeing an add-on mod for TFC that adds high-tech machines and what not ;)

Its not that complex as you might think. Its actually very simple and fits TFC very well but you are not in charge of making the mod no? Let Bioxx decide what he wants to implement in his wonderful mod.

The furnace is a end game item and will require several amounts of steel and sheets to make the components. By the way, did i mention that it has be operated manually just like the bellows?

Mercury production has been started about 500 years ago so why not put it in a suggestion?

You do not necessarily need some kind of electricity in order to make this idea function correctly.

Quite honestly, I like this idea and I think it fits well into TFC - but again it is mid to end-game content. I think we should hold off on this sort of thing until we finish the beginning-game content at least. Once Bioxx has all the start-up mechanics finished and polished up, then let the ideas for mid-game content flow

Quite honestly, I like this idea and I think it fits well into TFC - but again it is mid to end-game content. I think we should hold off on this sort of thing until we finish the beginning-game content at least. Once Bioxx has all the start-up mechanics finished and polished up, then let the ideas for mid-game content flow

Well at least we got the idea out there when agriculture is out. I will wait whatever time i need to wait then and hopefully this will be added.

I added on my new structures thread a little something that might be helpful here. Not plugging just an idea.

._. lets see... you want to add:

-a way to crush Cinnabar

-a rotary furnace block, with no use except of evaporating mercury

-a glass tube recipe

-a glass works block, again, with no use except of creating a thermomether

Just to create a thermomether, a device that can tell the enviroment temperature, something for which i find no use at all, except of killing my crops. Perfect idea.

Now seriously... i like the idea of the glass works and rotary furnace separated, but i don't find any use for the thermomether itself...

This looks like a lot of work for Bioxx, but it could pay off if the factors involved in each step of production (like "crushed" ore, rotary furnace, glass tube, glassworks) can be adapted to other things in addition to thermometers.

What other processes could involve crushing ore?

What else could a "rotary furnace" be used for? (How do you make these anyway? Aren't they complex machines?)

What else could glassworks be used for? (I'm sure there are ideas to be had for this one)

EDIT: This was pretty helpful http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Mercury.html#b

It looks like you could simplify your idea to something that's a little easier to adapt to tfc. Like the rotating furnace might not be necessary, the roasting process could just be reduced to heating something to a certain temperature since the mechanics for that are already well in place.

Thermometers are a good idea, except they should use alcohol.

Thermometers are a good idea, except they should use alcohol.

+1 internets to you for knowing about alcohol thermometers, but the first documented alcohol thermometer was made in 1654, half a century after bioxx's declared historical cutoff date.

We COULD however, have thermoscopes, which are essentially just thermometers without the temperature scale. Top is the coldest, bottom is the hottest, and you get rough in-between temperatures by just judging the distance along in the tube with your eye. They were not used with alcohol or quicksilver (mercury), but instead contained plain water. It was the expansion or contraction of the air that caused the height variance, hence the unintuitive reversal of top and bottom in the measurements.

This sort of device was well-known (though not widely used) in the late 1500s, most notably by Galileo Galilei

If this is added, the ambient temperature should be removed from the 'n' calendar interface and replaced with temperatures subjective to steve, such as 'temperate', 'hot', 'frigid', or the like

Yeah, I think calendars, clocks, and thermometers should be 'created' items.

Here are some ideas for item creation.

1. Calendar

P - Paper

X - Ink

PPP

PXP

PPP

2. Clock

Sundial

S-Stone

W-Wooden Stick

SSS

SWS

SSS

Clock Components:

G-Metal Gear (1 crafted from 1 metal ingot)

S- Spring (4 crafted from 1 bronze, brass, or stronger ingots)

P - Wooden Plank

W - Wooden Stick

I - Ink

C- Clock Face

PIP

IPI

PIP

M- Clock Mechanism

_____

GWG

__S__

Clock

PPP

PCP

PMP

3. Thermometer components

G - Glass (White hot liquid)

M - Bucket of Mercury

V - Glass Vial:

G_G

G_G

GGG

G - Mercury Glass Vial:

_ _ _

_ M_

_ V _

Mercury Glass Vial is placed in forge until orange, and then "bent" on the anvil, creating a thermometer.

Both thermoscopes and barometers (of the water based variety) are a bit more TFC plausable than full blow mercury devices, but either way, it would be cool to have a tool to tell you the relative temperature, rather than the Calendar, which feels kinda cheap :P

A barometer actually is for air pressure. Are you thinking of a Galileo thermometer (not actually invented by Galileo strangely enough but Torricelli)?

A barometer actually is for air pressure. Are you thinking of Galileo Galilei's thermometer?

whoops, yes, yes I was.