Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Peffern

More player built structures

36 posts in this topic

So when I first started playing minecraft back in early beta, I was fascinated with the nether portal concept, having spent most of my other video gaming on MMOs, I liked the concept of a thing you had to build, instead of just magically fusing together wood to get sticks. I love miss that add more structures, and I was there at the Fall of BTW :( . I love the bloomery and forge and I would love to see more. This thread is for any ideas. Yes, some of these are from other threads, but I think they belong together. First is a tanning/drying rack. I think it would be made with vertical supports for posts and wool or some new cloth stretched over it. The longer you made the wool the more space you'd have. Used for tanning leather and drying herbs, and maybe if more ceramic is added. Next is some kind of work bench. Not a crafting table, a WORKbench. It would be similar to th anvil except instead of being for metals it would be for leather and cloth, and maybe advanced chiseling if that gets implemented. Third is a freezer/ice box. The idea is ice would be harvested similarly to clean stone. How about... If an ice block is not touching any blocks or water, and the temperature is cold enough,(and maybe is harvested with a special tool idk) then you get the ice blocks. So if ice is places in a 2x2 pattern with stone(not cobble) or bricks of any kind surrounding it, with a 2x2 air space above it(also stone covered) then things can be frozen in it (and keep food from spoiling). Finally, to go with the glass blowing suggestion, A special glassblowing interface block a la bloomery needs to be touching a copper or higher anvil, a forge, and a bellows the forge must be lit but it's okay I'd it goes out after it is created. Molten glass can be blown on the interface block, the bellows is needed to create but not necessary to use. It has a fuel slot so you don't have to have access to the forge.it has anvil style buttons, and a plan slot. That's it for now, add any more or comment on these. Thanks

--peffern

EDIT: another option is a sundial, the built in calendar is strange and annoying, a sundial created with stone and a top interface block(not really an interface, just to recognize the structure as a sundial. It would change textures based on the time.

Ceramic pit, similar to the charcoal but you put ceramics in it and can make a bunch at time.

Skewer for the fireplace, animals like pig could be cooked in here. It would take some time but would generate more quantity of food(made 5 pieces of cookead pork). It would require that animals bodies could be a new item, perhaps after dying they would generate a "block" type similar to woodpiles but with the animal skin and you could pick it or open it with a knife and harvest some stuffs(meat, bones, guts(?!) and blood(if you have a bucket or some container). After cooking the animal-block-thing in the fireplace using the skewer interface it would leave bones.

It would require that animals bodies could be a new item, perhaps after dying they would generate a "block" type similar to woodpiles but with the animal skin and you could pick it or open it with a knife and harvest some stuffs(meat, bones, guts(?!) and blood(if you have a bucket or some container). After cooking the animal-block-thing in the fireplace using the skewer interface it would leave bones.

This reminds me so much of Dwarf fortress

If the conditions are warm enough, it could rot, causing a poisonous or hunger status effect to anyone nearby. The temperature of the body would start off hot, immediately posing a threat of rot, and then slowly cool down to ambient temperature (you'd better hope that it stops rotting at that point ;))

I recon it could work better as an entity, with an 'inventory' (like a chest minecart) that can only be accessed with the appropriate tools, and slowly rots any items within (while the body rots itself, so does any meat inside). The body will eventually disappear, or become a pile of bones that 'slowly sink into the ground' (They're not there forever, just a long time)

ok to start off i ike the basic concept here of adding in more player built structures but i do not think that most of your choices make much sence. tanning racks are made purely out or wood held together at the connecting corneres/joints, it should be craftable and place, like a sluice, or door, and a woorkbench is a nice touch, although i think it would be better served being used to work wood and stone into more advanced blocks like stairs and half slabs, leather and cloth working would be crafted on a maneguine. yeah i suck at spelling. the freezer idea is already a post of its own, i myself posted the comment saying that breaking ice blocks gives you ice chunks used to make ice piles to cool off the ice house, someone else suggested that we add barrels that you put in the ice house so you can store food to keep it from spoiling. as for glass blowing, i think that glass blowing should have a system all its own. a glass melting forge/bloomery place, glass working tools and maybe even a glass blowing table like the anvil, Idk. as for animals, how about this, if bioxx adds in the idea people have about tempature affecting metal ingots and other such things, like water cooling them off ultra fast, then it would be safe to assume he could apply such a system to any item he so desires. this is my idea, animals drop corpses. not a block or an entity. and item that you pick up, they do not stack and they will need alot of work to use, skinning, cleaning, butchering, ext. but instead of being like most drops when you pick them up, corpeses start off with a status of fresh and over time the status shrinks, from fresh to warm, warm to infected, infected to spoiled and spoiled to rotten, not sure about these status's, you guys can work that out. heat speeds up the rate the carcass rots at and deppending on how low down the status line it goes effects the total return, so normaly one cow would give you 10/20 beef, enough leather to make 1 and a half leather armour, how ever much that is. you get cow hide and need to work it into leather. but if it is all the way to spoiled you barely get any usable meat, rotten makes the carcass uselss, except maybe as bait for certain mobs. put it in a bait box, player constructed, and it lures mobs in.

so these are my ideas. just my thoughts, if you do not agree. well that is realy up to you. this is just my opinion and if no one likes it then that is completely fine. i am trying to think up ideas that would be very cool to see as well as be easish to code and work in a believable way that keeps everything fun and entertaining for everyone. so lets keep adding to this people, this has alot of potential to be a very popular and exciting suggestion, what are your guy's ideas about how things should be made and what things could be added?

The rotting food idea goes well with the icebox. i agree 100%. The reason i don't support the crafting of a workplace as opposed to building it is because if you build it , then it is customisable(a little because you could make the bloomery as big as you want). I like tfc because it openended. You don't just have to repeat the same process, there's a trillion different combinations of stone, bricks, wood, etc. So i like customisation a little bit. Anyway enough ranting. I definitely support the rotting idea. How about, a knife (a new smithing anvil plan item) that is used similarly to a chisel. Basically i want a way to use the knife to turn the dead cow into cowhide and unbutchered cow meat. The problem is, crafting only has one output. So perhaps... Rightclicking knife opens a GUI, anvil-type. But that seems like a waste of coding. Maybe just rightclicking the knife in your hand splits the first corpse in your inventory, and hurts durability. I don't really know, but anyway. the corpse, the cowhide, and the meat would have a status. Like has been said, fresh, warm, old, spoiled, and rotten. The rotten would be useless, and anyway, the rest seems good. When you split it, you get the two pieces (meat + hide) with the same status. Then tanning the hide to get leather and splitting the meat to get the beef. I guess the icebox for preserving them, because they would lose status in the chest. Just throwing ideas out. maybe for the ceramic structure, you would craft clay into the unfired things, then you place them around a fire or something and cover it, and they turn into ceramic versions. You would need new block versions of each of them.

or a butchers table? if we get half slabs, maybe biox could make it so you can place diffrent types of slabs together, like a stone on top of a wood, if this is possible, you could create a butchers table by putting down a wodden halfslab and the a smooth (chisled) stone halfslab on top of it, maybe make it 2 blocks wide so its more table like and less nightstand like. and skinning the animal would not be hard, i mean they have used this idea before and even just added it to cakes, if you place items in a crafting table you can get the output and have one of the items change id's so you put the carcass and a skinning knife in the crafting table, then a cowhide comes out, the knife losses durability and the carcass is replaced with... skinned carcass? the crafting recipie would have to be craftable to achiev this though. other wise you would have to lose either the knife or the carcass, and only get out a hide.

What they did with cakes was make buckets something called a container item. That way the filled container reverts to a regular container after use. However, of the skinned hide needs to be knifed again, and you need another container, I don't think you can have nested containers. Still good idea though.

the bucket thing is proof of concept, it means that it is possible, even if you need a new crafting block of some kind, just that you can get back more then one item from a crafting recipie means that with the right coding it is possible, never said easy, but with a mod this big and epic, some of the coding is bound to be difficult

Ok. I'll buy that. I think we need to have metal blocks. I want to say 4 ingots in a square. 9 is too many because I want metal blocks to play a role in some more advanced PBSs. And also maybe squids on the butcher table gets you the ink sacs, and squid meat (CALAMARI!!!)

how about a better idea that fits into the believability of the mod better

first idea

you weld 2 2xingots together to get halfslabs, and 2 halfslabs together to get a full block, alot of metal i know but think how many ingots it would take to make 3x3 foot block of iron, unless you made it out of cheet metal.

second idea

ingots act like logs and make an ingot pile of the same type of metal they are made of, looks like abunch of ingots stacked ontop of eachother gold ingot pile, red, black, blue, light grey, copper, you could use the same greyscale tecture that uses its own "foliage" collor graph to collor the blocks accordingly.

Ingot piles are neat, but unless chests are getting a nerf, (which, by the way, I wholeheartedly believe they should) there's not too much of a purpose for them outside piling your gold up to the ceiling like a fat cat.

On tanning racks, I don't feel they're large enough to be multi-block constructions. Even if they were two blocks wide, so are beds. If you do some Google Image research, you'll find that (most tanning racks you'll find these days are in video games and) tanning racks all tend to look the same anyway. I'm not informed enough on the tanning process but I do know that primitive tanning was nasty, nasty, putrid, horrid, rancid smelling work. If I'm not mistaken, it works something like this. Tanners would receive sun-dried, dirt-caked, rigid corpse skin. They would soak that in water to soften it up, pound it clean and ready for work. After that they would wait for the hairs to fall out, before finally removing all the hairs and what have you that might still be there. Throughout this process a lot of urine and faeces is used to clean and soften and all that good stuff. We should probably avoid that.

Probably best to simplify it to kill livestock -> hang animal hide -> right-click with knife until animal hide sprite changes into not-quite-leather-yet sprite -> let sit for XX hours -> retrieve leather... Further working the leather into smaller bits could be done by combining it with the knife in the inventory. Similar to creating wooden planks from logs with an axe.

Regarding animal corpses, and carving them up... Suppose that when you killed a mob it left a corpse. No immediate drops for any anatomical parts. Now using that same knife, right-clicking on a mob corpse could scavenge one item per right-click. Better knives could potentially scavenge more, or whatever. Not sure if good idea.

One step missing. Dead animal gives you body. Craft knife with body to get carcass and hide. The hide would work the way you said with the tanning rack. The carcass could be made into meat somehow. For the chest nerf, how about items rot in chests so need ice box. The ingot piles/metal blocks are mostly for decoration and use in advanced structures rather than storage.

One step missing. Dead animal gives you body. Craft knife with body to get carcass and hide. The hide would work the way you said with the tanning rack. The carcass could be made into meat somehow. For the chest nerf, how about items rot in chests so need ice box. The ingot piles/metal blocks are mostly for decoration and use in advanced structures rather than storage.

Har. Was editing my post as you were replying. Yeah, I kind of like that idea. The only drops that should really 'pop' off mobs are the things they're wearing or holding in their hand.

I wouldn't mind if (single) chests were dropped to nine stacks. Or eighteen. If you need more storage you can always build a storehouse. More importantly, it would open the doors for other kinds of storage with different benefits. Closets could store more armour and clothing, toolboxes could store more tools. ...Bookshelves could store more books, etc. It's a bit more meticulous, maybe, but it also adds more atmosphere.

Granted, since we're currently testing the mod, I'd appreciate it if chests stayed huge just to make things a little easier for now.

Lol I hate when that happens. I'd rather a single drop item, use the knife like a chisel in crafting table to carve. I think the better knives should simply have more durability a la chisels.

Or maybe, implement a carving table used both for this and the new brick ideas. Lol autocorrected me to "grafting table"

EDIT: on the subject of ingot piles, does anyone know why my ingots won't stack or shift click correctly?

I'm not sure if a whole new table should be added to loot corpses because it would kind of put a damper on the whole nomadic way of life. ...Having to lug around a table everywhere you go isn't very cool. I definitely meant for knives to have durability though.

The way I imagined it it, you would walk up to a fallen mob and right-click on it with a knife to loot it. (On right-click the looted item would just pop out of the corpse to be collected.) The loot you got would be selected randomly from a finite list of all of the possible loot you could get from that particular mob. Maybe certain items would have more weight to be selected first. Example loot table.

Each loot would cost some knife durability. For gameplay balance purposes, perhaps the first loot could be free and salvageable by hand (or with a flint tool), meanwhile the second loot, and each successive loot on the same corpse would cost progressively more durability. So loot wouldn't be completely random and, in fact, you could potentially salvage a ton of food and resources from a single kill, but if you didn't get what you wanted on the first couple of shots it might not be worth carving the rest of the mob. ...Not sure if that's well balanced, and I don't have time to think on it just now...

Sorry I just thought that a) carving yields 2 outputs do crafting is a stupid way to do it & B) there are several other carving based suggestions and it might be worth it.

EDIT: that's supposed to be a "b" followed by a ")" not an emoticon.

ok to start off i ike the basic concept here of adding in more player built structures but i do not think that most of your choices make much sence. tanning racks are made purely out or wood held together at the connecting corneres/joints, it should be craftable and place, like a sluice, or door, and a woorkbench is a nice touch, although i think it would be better served being used to work wood and stone into more advanced blocks like stairs and half slabs, leather and cloth working would be crafted on a maneguine. yeah i suck at spelling. the freezer idea is already a post of its own, i myself posted the comment saying that breaking ice blocks gives you ice chunks used to make ice piles to cool off the ice house, someone else suggested that we add barrels that you put in the ice house so you can store food to keep it from spoiling. as for glass blowing, i think that glass blowing should have a system all its own. a glass melting forge/bloomery place, glass working tools and maybe even a glass blowing table like the anvil, Idk. as for animals, how about this, if bioxx adds in the idea people have about tempature affecting metal ingots and other such things, like water cooling them off ultra fast, then it would be safe to assume he could apply such a system to any item he so desires. this is my idea, animals drop corpses. not a block or an entity. and item that you pick up, they do not stack and they will need alot of work to use, skinning, cleaning, butchering, ext. but instead of being like most drops when you pick them up, corpeses start off with a status of fresh and over time the status shrinks, from fresh to warm, warm to infected, infected to spoiled and spoiled to rotten, not sure about these status's, you guys can work that out. heat speeds up the rate the carcass rots at and deppending on how low down the status line it goes effects the total return, so normaly one cow would give you 10/20 beef, enough leather to make 1 and a half leather armour, how ever much that is. you get cow hide and need to work it into leather. but if it is all the way to spoiled you barely get any usable meat, rotten makes the carcass uselss, except maybe as bait for certain mobs. put it in a bait box, player constructed, and it lures mobs in.

so these are my ideas. just my thoughts, if you do not agree. well that is realy up to you. this is just my opinion and if no one likes it then that is completely fine. i am trying to think up ideas that would be very cool to see as well as be easish to code and work in a believable way that keeps everything fun and entertaining for everyone. so lets keep adding to this people, this has alot of potential to be a very popular and exciting suggestion, what are your guy's ideas about how things should be made and what things could be added?

Damm, you should use more periods, It's hard to read. But I see your point. I guess a rotting system would come pretty nice in this mode. But not sure about the mob drop being a entity, cuz can you imagine someone killing a cow an "collecting" it? It's damn heavy should take more then your full inventory to carry. Perhaps you could place the dead-cow in a sledge or a cart and bring it home.

Basically i want a way to use the knife to turn the dead cow into cowhide and unbutchered cow meat. The problem is, crafting only has one output. So perhaps... Rightclicking knife opens a GUI, anvil-type. But that seems like a waste of coding. Maybe just rightclicking the knife in your hand splits the first corpse in your inventory, and hurts durability.

I think a chest-like interface in a dead-cow that can only be open with a knife, once open there will be all the stuffs(meat, bones...) and then you would have to use another type of knife(skinning knife) and get the hide.

EDIT: on the subject of ingot piles, does anyone know why my ingots won't stack or shift click correctly?

If they are heatead(even warming) they wont stack, also if they have been worked they wont stack. Only recently made ingots and cooled ingots stacks.

Thanks. Also off topic but I need to know: how do I make coal coke?

Sorry I just thought that a) carving yields 2 outputs do crafting is a stupid way to do it & B) there are several other carving based suggestions and it might be worth it.

EDIT: that's supposed to be a "b" followed by a ")" not an emoticon.

I not sure what you mean by A, and what suggestions are you referring to with B? I'm not sure I want to be carving up dead animals on the same table I use to do finer work... Anyway there's no reason to compromise one mechanic just because other mechanics use similar verbs.

I think a chest-like interface in a dead-cow that can only be open with a knife, once open there will be all the stuffs(meat, bones...) and then you would have to use another type of knife(skinning knife) and get the hide.

Do you sincerely want another GUI to go through though? I'm not entirely against something like this (as that is how it's been done in a few other enjoyable games), but generally GUIs don't facilitate immersion very well. They're necessary to accommodate certain mechanics, like inventories or systems where fine control over a bunch of little things (or numbers) is necessary, but they probably shouldn't be thrown in just for the sake of being thrown in.

A crafting recipe is many inputs and 1 output. However we want to have 2 inputs (knife + body) and two outputs: carcass and hide. Can't be done on crafting table. I was mostly referring to the advanced leather armor and the stone stairs.

Thanks. Also off topic but I need to know: how do I make coal coke?

By switching out your .jar file for the one you installed railcraft on

Do you sincerely want another GUI to go through though? I'm not entirely against something like this (as that is how it's been done in a few other enjoyable games), but generally GUIs don't facilitate immersion very well. They're necessary to accommodate certain mechanics, like inventories or systems where fine control over a bunch of little things (or numbers) is necessary, but they probably shouldn't be thrown in just for the sake of being thrown in.

Well, I guess it would be so hard to code, just take the chest code, change the skin and make a variable that it can't be open without a certain item. It's not rocket science in my seen, but i'm no programmer so bear with me ;)

And i'm not throwing it just to throw it, it makes no sense a "man" be able to carry a dead cow, they wheight around 600~1000 pounds!

By switching out your .jar file for the one you installed railcraft on

Wow. You're so helpful. I had no idea.

TFC has an item called "coke." it works as fuel in the bloomery, I ckecked. It doesn't seem like bioxx to add a useful item that is unobtainable. It seems like he adds it first, then adds the usefulness (borax). I said coal coke because I didn't want anyone to think I meant cocaine.(or coca cola)

I said coal coke because I didn't want anyone to think I meant cocaine.

I lol'd.

I lol'd.

Then my job here is done.

Wow. You're so helpful. I had no idea.

TFC has an item called "coke." it works as fuel in the bloomery, I ckecked. It doesn't seem like bioxx to add a useful item that is unobtainable. It seems like he adds it first, then adds the usefulness (borax). I said coal coke because I didn't want anyone to think I meant cocaine.(or coca cola)

To my knowledge, coke is not yet obtainable in-game. Borax was added before it became useful because adding borax would change world generation, and Bioxx is (quite smartly) doing the Eloraam thing and doing all the world gen stuff as early as possible so people don't have to cycle through worlds frustratingly.

Coke would be made, not generated, so there doesn't have to be coke available in-game yet. If I'm wrong and it is currently obtainable then please, someone correct me because I want some too, but I do not think you can get it quite yet