Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDCollie

Tree Climbing Boots

19 posts in this topic

One thing that really irritates me is trying to get the leaves for saplings off of those really tall trees. I was thinking it would be really nice if we had some kind of tree-climbing boots.

The recipe would be pretty simple. Leather boots + 6x arrowheads, or something like that. To use them, you would put on the boots, crouch, and then walk toward the trunk. As long as you were wearing the boots and holding crouch, the tree trunk would allow you to climb when walking toward it, and descend by backing up. If you stop moving and keep holding the crouch button, you would stay in place. (Allowing you to harvest those precious leaves)

Letting go of the crouch button would cause you to fall out of the tree, potentially breaking your boots (and your legs) upon impact.

I like it. I would use them. I was thinking about serious par core ( i spelled that wrong i think) and was wondering is the smart moving mod compatible with TFC because that would be fun.

Belongs on the accessories thread.

I thought that you use a belt to climb trees. I think it would by little more realistic. But i agree some kind of way to get to the top of the tree would by cool.

1) It doesn't HAVE to go there since this is its own idea. This thread is fine.

2) I personally just make ladders with the sticks I've already gotten (since I'll be using the ladders anyway) and climb the tree like that..

3) This is a good idea anyway since I don't always want to carry ladders with me.

Special belts are also used. Different cultures have scaled trees in different ways.

One thing that really irritates me is trying to get the leaves for saplings off of those really tall trees. I was thinking it would be really nice if we had some kind of tree-climbing boots.

The recipe would be pretty simple. Leather boots + 6x arrowheads, or something like that. To use them, you would put on the boots, crouch, and then walk toward the trunk. As long as you were wearing the boots and holding crouch, the tree trunk would allow you to climb when walking toward it, and descend by backing up. If you stop moving and keep holding the crouch button, you would stay in place. (Allowing you to harvest those precious leaves)

Letting go of the crouch button would cause you to fall out of the tree, potentially breaking your boots (and your legs) upon impact.

+1. Should require metal though, since 'things that make basic mechanics easier' are generally mid-tier items.

I like it. I would use them. I was thinking about serious parkour ( i spelled that wrong i think) and was wondering is the smart moving mod compatible with TFC because that would be fun.

The more you know

Just an alternative movement up and down the tree. Maybe when wearing the boots, all tree trunks are treated the same way as ladders. Kind of like the boots are a toggle switch that activate when you wear them. I have no idea about coding, but it might be easier than creating a new movement mechanic for climbing up a tree.

Basically, I'm just trying to give Bioxx a potentially easier time implementing the idea. Could be harder, I dunno. Either way I like the idea. I'm looking at you White Cedar trees!

of course why not just stack blocks underneath yourself....

Because most of this mod is making difficult/annoying things easier through some labor of your own.

Hmm can't punch down a tree for building supplies, make a tool to chop it down. Tool is kinda weak. Lets use the supplies we got from this tool to make better tools. That made things a bit easier. Let's use those tools to make everything else easier. Etc.

Basically find an inconvenience, then do some work to make it easier. Kind of generalizes humanity pretty well, for better or for worse.

I's rather see a tool added that allows you to reach higher in the tree. Like a Pole Saw.

Posted Image

I's rather see a tool added that allows you to reach higher in the tree. Like a Pole Saw.

Posted Image

Yeah. Amazing. BIOOOOOXX if it's possible to change the range of tools, that would be awesome!

I would like belts as climbing with spiked-boots looks like something out a comics. But yeah, that would be nice.

I'm looking at you White Cedar trees!

And i'm looking at you... Sequoia tree,

some good ideas in here like the boots or whatever...

I would like belts as climbing with spiked-boots looks like something out a comics. But yeah, that would be nice.

And i'm looking at you... Sequoia tree,

I think I hear someone crying out in agony from far away. Must be Crysyn. He seems to really love those ones.

But yeah, people thought Willow + Scythe made insane amounts of sticks, I can't even imagine the sheer quantity from a Sequoia.

Posted Image

My main reason for this suggestion is not that it is impossible to get up trees as it is (stacking blocks, using ladders, etc.) but rather that those ideas are impractical simply because some TFC trees are so damn tall.

Also, no offense, but when was the last time you saw a city crew stack up a 20 foot pile of dirt to cut a tree limb that was threatening a power line? We may not have access to cherry-pickers, but at least we should be able to make an appropriate tool for the job that fits with the tech level.

+1. Should require metal though, since 'things that make basic mechanics easier' are generally mid-tier items.

I agree. I was assuming metal arrowheads, but I should have stated that explicitly :)

Also, no offense, but when was the last time you saw a city crew stack up a 20 foot pile of dirt to cut a tree limb that was threatening a power line?

Depends, we talking NYC or Lancaster? Cuz I saw a dude in a big black hat pile dirt up to get to some broken tree branches a few years ago

Depends, we talking NYC or Lancaster? Cuz I saw a dude in a big black hat pile dirt up to get to some broken tree branches a few years ago

>.< You aren't helping. :P

>.< You aren't helping. :P

Oh was I supposed to? :3

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0