Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redundantusage

Creation of Clothes

14 posts in this topic

I've seen bits and pieces around about clothing but nothing that really brings it together.

It incorporates the topics of adding clothes, making cloth and clothing, and environmental damage.

To start 4 equipment slots would become 8 to give each corresponding body part the ability to be clothed in addition to being armored.

Clothing and sewing of all kinds would be done at a sewing station, which would be crafted by first making a loom:

I = stick

S = string

I I I

I S I

I I I

Then on a crafting table you would add a loom, crafting table, and wooden bucket to form a sewing station.

(Justification being that at the sewing station you would be potentially weaving, sewing, or dying clothes, leathers, etc.)

Wool (perhaps cotton?!) could be spun into string, woven into cloth, dyed as desired, then sewn using needles crafted from bone or metal using string into whichever type of clothing using a sewing pattern like blacksmithing uses.

Raw cloth or leather could also be sew with raw wool to form insulating padding that could be added to clothing to provide protection against colder climates, whereas clothing with no padding would be best against the heat of deserts.

Applying dyes would require using a bucket to bring water to the station, and adding it and the dye of choice to the dye section. Bucket empties after application.

An either hidden or displayed number for resistance to the current environment would be given to the player that affects how quickly their hunger goes down as they try to cope with the temperature, or take gradual direct damage if extremes are in place, like no clothing in a desert or tundra. One option would be a sideways bar much like the temp gauge on the forge or firepit that ranges from blue for freezing to red for burning. Created an image file example, and I have no idea how to upload it to be viewable.

http://imgur.com/efAoV is the best I can do right now.

No clothing at all, even in temperate climates would probably increase need for food due to body protecting itself from sun and wind.

Potential other uses would be treating clothes to make them waterproof for when in the rain or swimming. Not sure if there's anything in game currently that could be used for it chemically though; specially boiled or cooked cactus perhaps? Either way, it could be done by placing bucket of water and waterproofing material in the dying section.

I like the idea, but I guess it comes down to how hard it is to code in an extra layer of something visually between the player's skin and armor. Only other thing would be I worry about players that get spawned in an unwelcoming biome. It would be a bit unfair if someone got some bad luck and immediately started taking damage from the harsh environment.

...an extra layer of something visually between the player's skin and armour.

Or make armour display have a higher priority and make clothes functionally the same as armour.

I think I'd go with the armor having a higher priority to display than the clothes like Lumireaver suggested, and while it's true you could spawn in a bad environment, I'm definitely not suggesting you lose a half heart per second; more like maybe every 10-15 seconds in very extreme conditions, something you could walk out of if need be.

and maybe there should be flax to turn into cotton

a simple idea here

what about hats, a fur lined parka, and heavy leather work boots

i am just going off my winter gear hear

all together these could protect you in the real cold climates.

any other ideas?

sounds good but all players (well most anyway) have clothing as part of their base skin

this seems to render craftable clothing obsolete but i do agree that you will need warm clothing for cold biomes

maybe you could just make the clothing for this reason and have it made of heavy furs or animal skins

as for desert clothing, you could make something like those robes and hoods they wear over in places like egypt

but normal clothing made of cotton or other average non protective sorts would be rather unnecessary

In other words, armor, except made from cloth. Instead of anvil, loom. Instead of hammer, needle and thread.

Thread from wool/spiders, needle from cactus.

These cloth armors wouldnt protect in the usual sense. Bioxx could implement a biome based constant harm rate if not wearing correct clothing type. for example, if not wearing thick layers in taiga, in winter, health depletes at a rate of 1 half heart per 5 seconds. etc.

I personally would also like to see the implementation of paper/cloth armor in the traditional sense to replace leather armor as the lowest tier armor.

it would be nice if you could wear clothing under the armor, and armor had an effect on the clothing. wearing full armor and thin clothing in the desert won't keep you cool. also, what if you spawned with some kind of clothing, just so you aren't a dead man if you spawn in the middle of a tundra or desert. a simple tier zero shirt and pants would keep you alive until you can get shelter going.

it would be nice if you could wear clothing under the armor, and armor had an effect on the clothing. wearing full armor and thin clothing in the desert won't keep you cool. also, what if you spawned with some kind of clothing, just so you aren't a dead man if you spawn in the middle of a tundra or desert. a simple tier zero shirt and pants would keep you alive until you can get shelter going.

i agree with this idea though the simplest clothing should be made from something really easy to get your hands on or perhaps when a new world is spawned, you spawn wearing it

I like this idea a lot, it would add lots of vanity customization to the mod.

No sir that is what skins are for if i understand correctly clothing's purpose will be protection from various elements

but... isn't leather armor kindof already clothes? It's animal skin you place over your body. Then again, there have been real armors made of leather as well, so... that could get confusing.

I say animals should just drop hide, that you can either work into leather for armor, or work immediately into primitive clothes for simple elemental protection.

Real textile clothes didn't come around for quite some time (which is my main problem with several of the suggestions in this thread), and should be an upgrade to wearing animal hides.

more like maybe every 10-15 seconds in very extreme conditions, something you could walk out of if need be.

Right now, that's feasible. But bigger biomes are coming, and hopefully with them a better layout on how biomes are attached to eachother (no more desert next to snowy biomes etc).

Perhaps this could be remedied by changing the spawning rules to always spawn in humid, temperate biomes.

but... isn't leather armor kindof already clothes? It's animal skin you place over your body. Then again, there have been real armors made of leather as well, so... that could get confusing.

In cases where leather was used for armor there was mostly some sort of padding involved to keep the heat. Otherwise, in really cold environments, fur was used.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0