Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Teranz

Item weight and speed of walking

31 posts in this topic

Wooooo another idea from me. So i will skip the crap with the intro and go straight into my idea.

My idea is about the weight of a single item and how fasr you walk while your caring that item. So in my opinion every item should have its own weight ( in kilogram, grams or what ever you want to measure it in). Some items will weight more then others, for example your carring stacks of cobble, some ore and few tools, that would slow you down more then if you were carrying some sapllings, few stacks of sticks and a tool or two..

Ok thanks guys for reading, any feed back and ideas are welcome cya!

~Teranz

I think it's an great idea! thats where it would be good to have an horse from trepnick's post to carry your items.

Well, I always am a little annoyed that you can carry tonnes of cobblestone, but just a limited amount of flint tools in your inventory, it just doesn't make sense.

My idea is that we add a weight system that measures in some sort of unit like pounds or kilograms. Some items would weight more than another, a log would weight alot compared to a simple flint.

Ofcourse I am aware of the inventory HUD, which has limited slots, but maybe somewhere in the future this HUD could be replaced with one that shows current weight compared to max weight, and has the ability to scroll down for more slots. (ofcourse Bioxx could also forget the weight HUD and give a system that the more you carry, the slower you move, untill you can't move at all, overencumburance.)

This system will give a much more realisitic turn to inventory managing, as now players can't take a sword with them and alot of brick to make a base in a far away region. Now the player has to either make alot of trips between his homebase and the new base location, or mine the rock locally.

Now for a system to counter it: Wheelbarrows, and perhaps pack-mules, if Bioxx wants such thing.

A wheelbarrow whould allow a player to carry a limited amount of items inside it, and depending on the material its made from, it can carry more. A simple wheelbarrow could be made of wood, later they can be made of metals and alloys so it can carry more stuff, as certain metals are less prone to metal fatigue and well, wood breaks easly when there is enough stress. It might also be possible (if bioxx want such thing), that when there is too much stuff inside a wheelbarrow, it will break. The wooden ones will break in wooden planks and sticks, and the metal ones might break in (scrap)metal.

The scrapmetal option i've provided is that it will break into mangled pieces of metal, that must be reforged into ingots for later use, perhaps for another wheelbarrow.

Also, wheelbarrows won't be able to go up vertically (aka: they can't climb blocks), which might prove difficult at first, but they are useful in area's like a treefarm, where everything is flat, and it would also promote roadbuilding, be it a dirt path or a stone road.

A pack-mule is a domesticated mule, with lots of leather and/or cloth bags (which have to be crafted or sewed at a different crafting station) on it so it can carry lots of equipment and supplies, a pack-mule may be slower than a wheelbarrow, and harder to obtain (domestication ain't an easy process, especially with mules :P), they are able to carry more weight and are able to climb mountains, and are thus in the end better for exploration and to travel to remote locations.

I hope you people like my idea and, if there are any questions, just ask. ^^

Cool idea daveboy2000! :)

I have been playing The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim and i like the Inventory system in Skyrim, You have unlimited space but you need to keep an eye on the weigth! Maybe we can do the same with TFC but instaed of moving slow just not being able to move.

Also you cant carry to many ligth weigth things! irl you cant carry a ton of feathers, in mc you should be able to have backpacks to carry more then you inventoryh allows. But the backpack will also effect you weigth!

Yes these two add-ons would be perfect for each other!!!

Yeah sounds good also i thought of another idea, what if your too heavy and you will try to swim? You will drown straight away. So your weight will also decrease swim speed or drag you down.

Yea thats an good idea too! you'll need to drop some of you stuff to survive! Thats awesome!

Boats would be awesome then! btw this weigth system would be awesome if they will do an multiserver world!

Yes we have to collate these ideas into a MEGA-IDEA!!!!!! :D

Anyway, I feel that working with actual weight isn't a good idea, but gameplay balanced weight values would be better. For example, a player should be able to carry three stacks of cobblestone, six stacks of wooden planks, or nine stacks of dirt. You just can't limit inventory space too much in a building game or you're going to hurt the gameplay. You have to strike some kind of balance.

Edited by spAnser
removed a quote from a deleted post

And also that wheelbarrow can be slower on dirt patches and faster on cobblestone.

You personally innovated videogame encumbrance systems? Good on you.

Anyway, I feel that working with actual weight isn't a good idea, but gameplay balanced weight values would be better. For example, a player should be able to carry three stacks of cobblestone, six stacks of wooden planks, or nine stacks of dirt. You just can't limit inventory space too much in a building game or you're going to hurt the gameplay. You have to strike some kind of balance.

Nope but all im saying is that i posted the idea about weight system so whats the point of posting it again?

sounds like a good idea maybe armor could slow your movement speed too because seriously, who runs around all day in a suit of solid plate armor?

and maybe we could add some kind of studded leather or scale metal armors that are much lighter than plate but not quite as protective and require higher teir technology to make

sounds like a good idea maybe armor could slow your movement speed too because seriously, who runs around all day in a suit of solid plate armor?

and maybe we could add some kind of studded leather or scale metal armors that are much lighter than plate but not quite as protective and require higher teir technology to make

...I get the odd sense I've seen this discussion play out. It turns out plate armour doesn't inhibit movement as much as most people would initially believe...and why would it? That stuff was designed to save lives. If it turned you into a lumbering target it wouldn't have been of much use. That said, impeding sprint duration, or the ability to swim? I can live with that. :U

Edited by spAnser
removed a quote from a deleted post

I get the odd sense I've seen this discussion play out. It turns out plate armour doesn't inhibit movement as much as most people would initially believe...and why would it? That stuff was designed to save lives. If it turned you into a lumbering target it wouldn't have been of much use. That said, impeding sprint duration, or the ability to swim? I can live with that. :U

Actually most plate armor weighed upwards of 120+lbs... And yes most knights were on a war horse all the time for a reason, you can't move a lot in it, and you really are not agile(at all).. running is more of a glorified walk in full plate.. and swimming.. Ha! You are a lead weight.

Weight systems kind of break the whole minecraft part of the mod and hit that "too realistic" part as you wouldn't be able to carry more then a single pickaxe.. and those support beams.. Ya good luck moving those on your own.

THe current system of just limiting how much things stacks is fine without getting over baring.

Edited by spAnser

Actually most plate armor weighed upwards of 120+lbs... And yes most knights were on a war horse all the time for a reason, you can't move a lot in it, and you really are not agile(at all).. running is more of a glorified walk in full plate.. and swimming.. Ha! You are a lead weight.

Weight systems kind of break the whole minecraft part of the mod and hit that "too realistic" part as you wouldn't be able to carry more then a single pickaxe.. and those support beams.. Ya good luck moving those on your own.

THe current system of just limiting how much things stacks is fine without getting over baring.

Do you think they hauled armoured knights onto their horses with cranes, too. :U

I agree that a realistic weight/encumbrance system would screw over the fun factor--also that's what stack, and inventory sizes are for. (What I mean is it would be simpler to slow people down based on how many empty slots they have left, or something along those lines...) However, giving every in-game item a weight value, as long as that value was assigned with gameplay in mind, wouldn't get in the way of having fun.

this is kinda like mortal onlines weight system....the more u weigh the slower u move....also to much weight u sink to the bottom of water and drown unless u unload some things out of your invi...

I merged the two posts talking about the same topic and cleaned up off topic replies.

also, if this isnt too much, i realised that in vanilla, you just pop on your armor chestplate like you would a common tee shirt

in real life, putting on armor atually takes time but i think this would be a little weird to put into the game

also, a little off topic but shouldnt the rmor have some kind of padding in it?

because getting hit while wearing straight metal plates would probably protect you from some things, like getting cut by a blade, but the force would drive the armor into you probably hurting you too

maybe just wool and leather could be put into your armor to make it actually usefull

Crafting more into armor would be troublesome however if we could make layered clothing that would add a lot of possibilities

Crafting more into armor would be troublesome however if we could make layered clothing that would add a lot of possibilities

hmm i was thinking

A padding would be required in the recipie of armor

or

B padding would be optional but almost necesarry because un-padded armor wouldn't work as well

and now thanks to you

C padding could be omitted by wearing heavy clothing like winter/cold biome furs but if you did that, you would'nt be able to wear it in hot biomes

I like the idea of limiting the amount of cobblestone you can carry. Perhaps by limiting stacks by 16? Or is that too much? It's hard to keep with minecraft mechanics and basics (large amounts of blocks) while still keeping it realistic without making it really annoying.

As for shufflin' stuff out of mines, I just had an idea that might just work and tie in with minecarts.

Wooden carts, on wooden "rails". "Powered" every 3-5 blocks by a wooden "lever" (that actually acts more like a button as it should give continuous power to the rail), simulating the player "pushing" the cart along the "rails".

The cart should probably work like a regular cart, that can have a chest inside it (it would look cooler if it was just filled with stuff without having to put a chest into it)

So, like:

w - wooden railp - lever			[w] [w] [w] [w] [w]        [p]

So the 'lever' could work like a hand crank* from Better Than Wolves (as in it doesn't stay in the state it is set to)

Posted Image

The wooden rails* can be "powered" depending on what direction the lever is placed into (so it needs to have two levers on each side to be multidirectional)

Posted Image

Also, wheelbarrows won't be able to go up vertically (aka: they can't climb blocks), which might prove difficult at first, but they are useful in area's like a treefarm, where everything is flat, and it would also promote roadbuilding, be it a dirt path or a stone road.

A pack-mule is a domesticated mule, with lots of leather and/or cloth bags (which have to be crafted or sewed at a different crafting station) on it so it can carry lots of equipment and supplies, a pack-mule may be slower than a wheelbarrow, and harder to obtain (domestication ain't an easy process, especially with mules :P), they are able to carry more weight and are able to climb mountains, and are thus in the end better for exploration and to travel to remote locations.

An idea for the wheelbarrow would be that it can't go up vertically, but they can go up stairs and halfslabs, like when a player is walking. Perhaps you already insinuated this into your roadbuilding solution, but I just wanted to put it out there just in case.

The pack mule idea is fantastic! I assume you intend for it to be able to jump, like horses in mo' creatures? (to climb whole blocks)

By the way, there seems to be a cart mod out there already! Looks cool, could be made to work in a similar fashion for wheelbarrows.

Posted Image

I loved playing skyrim. I hated having to go back to the same cave 5 times just to be able to loot all the valuables. So please no messing with the inventory. Actually if you going to change it let me stack tools. At lease the ones that are not in the hand. There is a line between realism and real life. We should be able to play in single player. If we add too much realism it would require multiplayer in cooperative mode.In real life no one survives for long by itself, and for sure would not be able to build a castle.

I loved playing skyrim. I hated having to go back to the same cave 5 times just to be able to loot all the valuables. So please no messing with the inventory. Actually if you going to change it let me stack tools. At lease the ones that are not in the hand. There is a line between realism and real life. We should be able to play in single player. If we add too much realism it would require multiplayer in cooperative mode.In real life no one survives for long by itself, and for sure would not be able to build a castle.

5 times to the same cave? Trolololol, did you take all the buckets and other useless 1 gold coin stuff?

No seriously, skyrim inventory managing is easy, seriously, i hardly ever become overencumbered.

I like the idea of limiting the amount of cobblestone you can carry. Perhaps by limiting stacks by 16? Or is that too much? It's hard to keep with minecraft mechanics and basics (large amounts of blocks) while still keeping it realistic without making it really annoying.

As for shufflin' stuff out of mines, I just had an idea that might just work and tie in with minecarts.

Wooden carts, on wooden "rails". "Powered" every 3-5 blocks by a wooden "lever" (that actually acts more like a button as it should give continuous power to the rail), simulating the player "pushing" the cart along the "rails".

The cart should probably work like a regular cart, that can have a chest inside it (it would look cooler if it was just filled with stuff without having to put a chest into it)

So, like:

w - wooden railp - lever			[w] [w] [w] [w] [w]		[p]

So the 'lever' could work like a hand crank* from Better Than Wolves (as in it doesn't stay in the state it is set to)

Posted Image

The wooden rails* can be "powered" depending on what direction the lever is placed into (so it needs to have two levers on each side to be multidirectional)

Posted Image

An idea for the wheelbarrow would be that it can't go up vertically, but they can go up stairs and halfslabs, like when a player is walking. Perhaps you already insinuated this into your roadbuilding solution, but I just wanted to put it out there just in case.

The pack mule idea is fantastic! I assume you intend for it to be able to jump, like horses in mo' creatures? (to climb whole blocks)

By the way, there seems to be a cart mod out there already! Looks cool, could be made to work in a similar fashion for wheelbarrows.

Posted Image

I personally didn't think of that with halfstairs, although i don't think it should be able to go with stairs, too steep. Have you ever seen a cart or anything else with wheels going up some stairs in real life?

And with the pack mules: Yes, my intention was that they should be able to jump.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0