Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
abandoned mines

winches, pules and cams, water wheels and pumps (move your ores)

69 posts in this topic

the complexity is always optional. (after all, bloomery level gives you most of what you'd have in vanilla as is)

Overall I'd recommend any sort of machinery focusing on a few simple (comparativly) dynamic blocks you can create in a crafting gui and can be combined with some form of power source to produce effects. The bar/nut/wheel/chain blocks implyed by that old post seems a good lego set for players to develop their own levels of complicated from then on.

Big 'dynamic' mechanics you can see happening tend to be a bit more transparent than some of the more invisible rules of redstone that you can only figure out by error, or reading a few pages of eletronic diagrams.

But either way, somthing for the future. Theres still alot of tweaking, prodding and occasionaly bashing with a hammer, to be done to the foundation levels of TFcraft befor we get to anything as high level as dynamic machines.

the complexity is always optional. (after all, bloomery level gives you most of what you'd have in vanilla as is)

Overall I'd recommend any sort of machinery focusing on a few simple (comparativly) dynamic blocks you can create in a crafting gui and can be combined with some form of power source to produce effects. The bar/nut/wheel/chain blocks implyed by that old post seems a good lego set for players to develop their own levels of complicated from then on.

But, somthing for the future. Theres still alot of tweaking, prodding and occasionaly bashing with a hammer, to be done to the foundation levels of TFcraft befor we get to anything as high level as dynamic machines.

yea TFcraft still has a ways to go before this goes anywhere though we should keep thinking out more stuff so we have a solid foundation on which to give to bioxx :)

true the mod taked place in 1000 AD we could really use the machinery that had around then. watermills, windmills, wheels, gears, aquaducts, wells, drawbridges, giant doors, the thing where u pull the rope and it does the bellows for u. and all that good medevil stuff

true the mod taked place in 1000 AD we could really use the machinery that had around then. watermills, windmills, wheels, gears, aquaducts, wells, drawbridges, giant doors, the thing where u pull the rope and it does the bellows for u. and all that good medevil stuff

for the bellows operated with a rope i think that's called a Drawers handle. some forges in early Britain used water wheels and a cam and pinion system to power there large tin smelters

hmmm >.> i though it would be a different name cause all the forges in skyrim have them

YEEEEEESSSSSSS! I love the tools I'll never use but are realistic and at my disposal lol. And there is no sarcasm here, I want this.

I'm not so sure about some of this... i mean, they're great ideas but, where is the reason to do it? when one person can lug around 20 million tons of metal and rock, why would i want to send it into a system to move it for me? about the pulverizer, i am very against making it give more metal, but i am ok with lowering the temperature needed to melt it, due to the increased surface area. But the lifts, how are you proposing that the power is directed to the system from the bottom of the shaft? i would be alright with something like a rope that would disconnect an axel or something like that.

I'm not so sure about some of this... i mean, they're great ideas but, where is the reason to do it? when one person can lug around 20 million tons of metal and rock, why would i want to send it into a system to move it for me? about the pulverizer, i am very against making it give more metal, but i am ok with lowering the temperature needed to melt it, due to the increased surface area. But the lifts, how are you proposing that the power is directed to the system from the bottom of the shaft? i would be alright with something like a rope that would disconnect an axel or something like that.

i am trying to come up with some ideas that could work

though for the lifts i was just thinking of using a drum winch and rope to move lifts or ore buckets.

there are probobly much better ideas than mine, can i have any suggestions?

Well... i do like the idea of further processing of the ores (as i stated above), and ah, i thought you meant a lift large enough for a person a drum winch would work, unless a mechanic is introduced that makes me need to transport my ores like that, i probably will keep on lugging it around myself. I approve of the aspect of harnessing water and wind, especially for the wheat grinding, but could also be used for a blade sharpener (off topic here sorry). As for pumps and water wheels, i feel that no vein is large enough, or the deposits dense enough to require such a thing utility wise. A primitive lift for people i could get on board with however. but yes, keep the ideas coming :) i like the thought processes here.

Well... i do like the idea of further processing of the ores (as i stated above), and ah, i thought you meant a lift large enough for a person a drum winch would work, unless a mechanic is introduced that makes me need to transport my ores like that, i probably will keep on lugging it around myself. I approve of the aspect of harnessing water and wind, especially for the wheat grinding, but could also be used for a blade sharpener (off topic here sorry). As for pumps and water wheels, i feel that no vein is large enough, or the deposits dense enough to require such a thing utility wise. A primitive lift for people i could get on board with however. but yes, keep the ideas coming :) i like the thought processes here.

thank you :)

i agree that the winch and windmill were my better plans

as for the pump, that was thought out when finite liquids were going to be the norm for naturally generated water.

This is hard to follow; you have been warned (i'm just putting ideas out there)

Machinery?

How about Steve can use a saw to cut chunks of a log into a crude wooden "wheel"

That "wheel" could then be cut into a gear or something, and that gear could be used to make something like... a gearbox.

A gearbox could change the direction of power on an axle made of logs that were cut down in fourths or something, those axles would need support gained by shoving them through a block of wool on another log (wool supports but has less friction) to let the axles be above the ground.

The axles could be powered by something like a windmill or a Waterwheel... Or Steve with a wheel attached to an axle.

Now, thats just simple power and transfer of power, actual machines would need metal chains and metal gears, those simple wooden gears would be good to make something like a cart or simple barricade that moves with the gears (reduction reducing the amount of power needed), but the wooden gears would never be able to move a heavy metal chain. Metal gears are tougher and can be placed on a wall if you have a stick and hammer on your hotbar (hammer stick into wall, put gear on stick). Then you can make complex machines like what Think Tank said...

The rods could be made of stone or logs (chisel and hammer for stone, saw and axe for wood) mabye we could get some primitive sandpaper (tree sap on paper then sand on the paper) and have to sand down wooden axles before you can use them.

Pulleys would be fun, a "wheel" on a moving rod with some rope on it (make trapdoor out of string), a gearbox could be disabled to determine when power "flows" through the axles. Winches are diffrent, a player would have to sand down a log, then put two "wheels" on the sides, then it would have to be strung with rope and attached to whatever you want to move, which would require something on it to allow the winch to pull it.

Have fun :P

--blue

Machinery?

How about Steve can use a saw to cut chunks of a log into a crude wooden "wheel"

That "wheel" could then be cut into a gear or something, and that gear could be used to make something like... a gearbox.

A gearbox could change the direction of power on an axle made of logs that were cut down in fourths or something, those axles would need support gained by shoving them through a block of wool on another log (wool supports but has less friction) to let the axles be above the ground.

The axles could be powered by something like a windmill or a Waterwheel... Or Steve with a wheel attached to an axle.

Now, thats just simple power and transfer of power, actual machines would need metal chains and metal gears, those simple wooden gears would be good to make something like a cart or simple barricade that moves with the gears (reduction reducing the amount of power needed), but the wooden gears would never be able to move a heavy metal chain. Metal gears are tougher and can be placed on a wall if you have a stick and hammer on your hotbar (hammer stick into wall, put gear on stick). Then you can make complex machines like what Think Tank said...

The rods could be made of stone or logs (chisel and hammer for stone, saw and axe for wood) mabye we could get some primitive sandpaper (tree sap on paper then sand on the paper) and have to sand down wooden axles before you can use them.

Pulleys would be fun, a "wheel" on a moving rod with some rope on it (make trapdoor out of string), a gearbox could be disabled to determine when power "flows" through the axles. Winches are diffrent, a player would have to sand down a log, then put two "wheels" on the sides, then it would have to be strung with rope and attached to whatever you want to move, which would require something on it to allow the winch to pull it.

--blue

i like many of these ideas :)

though there are still people who don t think these sorts of technology are needed for terrafirma craft

Machinery?

--blue

Sooooo, better than wolves.

Sooooo, better than wolves.

...More DF-esque than Better than Wolves... More in depth... more Bioxx-y, seriously, in BTW you don't even need a friggin support for your axles, and I'm talking overly-complicated stuff, like a rotation speed and power ratio to make gears worth it for changing speed into power and vice-verse, Wooden gears are weak and can only be used for a certain amount of power or less while metal gears have a very high limit and need more power to turn due to heavier weight.

Oh, and Wheels/Pulleys/Winches/Rope would need their own models (Devs, say If you want) to make them look like real things instead of blocks.

Thanks for your input tho, Eternal

Have fun

--blue

yea i really didn t want this to be like BTW

yea i really didn t want this to be like BTW

My idea is nowhere near BTW. To a point it is similar, but once you get into details it is vastly different and superior, BTW barely takes in gearing calculations and force, speed would make something like a millstone run faster, while power would raise something like a platform faster

I mean, i think we have been given enough hints to know that it IS infact going to the industrial era. how it is implemented is a better question. also blue. power and speed are force, and either aspect depends on the mass of the object you realize, they aren't alien aspects... But i would like to see something like a steam boiler, if we are going to add pumps, i say it almost has to be steam powered, and the steam engine could power things like axles, or stamping ores, and if currency does get added, then an automatic mint would be interesting indeed.

My idea is nowhere near BTW. To a point it is similar, but once you get into details it is vastly different and superior, BTW barely takes in gearing calculations and force, speed would make something like a millstone run faster, while power would raise something like a platform faster

sorry i didn t mean your idea was like BTW, i was just stating that i don t like using the BTW system

gearing speeds would be interesting, perhaps we could also use gear redaction to increase or decrease speeds :)

if we are going to add pumps, i say it almost has to be steam powered

Archemedian Screw pumps are simple and don't need INSANE amounts of power to function.

Is that a problem? and i didn't expressibly say archimedian, in fact a more traditional form of it could be implemented as the technology existed around the 1700's, directly for pumping water from mines.

Is that a problem? and i didn't expressibly say archimedian, in fact a more traditional form of it could be implemented as the technology existed around the 1700's, directly for pumping water from mines.

i ve seen models of "reverse bellows systems" in roman mines, perhaps we could use a simple form of this system to act as a pump

Mabye different kinds of pump, ones that need more speed and ones that need more power, each one limited by the resources you have?

A screw pump would run faster with a higher speed, while one made with a piston would run faster with more power...

I would love a gear and pulley system it might even be able to replace the redstone system when that is removed however this more complicated than you may think worm gears, sun gears, rotational to lateral gears i need them all to do anything interesting like make a giant robot.

I would love a gear and pulley system it might even be able to replace the redstone system when that is removed however this more complicated than you may think worm gears, sun gears, rotational to lateral gears i need them all to do anything interesting like make a giant robot.

well i wouldn t really like to see redstone removed, i would like to see red stone and gearing systems work together

well i wouldn t really like to see redstone removed, i would like to see red stone and gearing systems work together

Seeing as gear systems haven't even been confirmed, you'll be pretty disappointed.