Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DarkLadyPhoenix

Nerfed chest size

60 posts in this topic

My only complaint is that old chests crash the world when you open or destroy them.

And once you log back in, the chest hasn't dropped anything (if you destroyed it).

As for storage, I think everything will just be done with open-air piles in the future.

I can't play till monday (So I can't try it), but I have a question, maybe someone tested (May be obvious as hell... but well): Minecart chest is nerfed too?

If we think of it on the positive side for this "addition" to the game, TFC now pushes more the player to use rails, to actually transport the goods to the base. (Even if they nerf the minecraft chest, and even if it nerf the character inventory even more.)

I confess that I actually never used chest minecarts and furnace minecart ever on my vanilla games. And I'm kind of sad to this. :(

Because they are actually nice. I like them. But never had an useful use for me.

Okay pre44 changed stacks back to 64. Now I am fine with the chest sizes.

Yay i can say goodbay to backpack mod now :) no more arguing about space!!!

By the way thanks for the pics Ryuugumo got some nice ideas thanks ^_^

The chest nerf was very important for many different gameplay changing reasons. The first, most obvious, and most misunderstood aspect is that it is only to raise difficulty and make the game more realistic. However, this is not the only reason. Nerfing chests gives items more value. You have to learn to only use things as you need them, and can't just hoard massive amounts of valuables. You can no longer make excessive resources and store the extra useless garbage in chests and forget about them, either.

It changes the way you have to play the game, in a way. It is in no way just an up to difficulty.

The way I see it is that people are still seeing this as minecraft, where it is feasible collecting and hoarding all the things there are in existence. You are not supposed to amass a stockpile of every wood type. You are not supposed to amass a stockpile of every rock type. You are not supposed to amass a stockpile of everything you can get your blocky little hands on. You are supposed to survive using what is available to you, so that every playthrough is not the same as the last one.

From the TFC main page posted by Bioxx on June 19th:

My biggest problem as an avid gamer is the concept that every game is virtually the same the second time around. Skyrim was a ton of fun on my first character, but subsequent play-throughs were less and less fulfilling. Sure small things might have changed here and there, but it was all pretty much exactly the same every time. True randomness while maintaining coherency is not an easy thing to pull off for most games so I don’t blame developers for that. However I feel that its something that we all find appealing about minecraft and I plan to continue expanding upon that

I am absolutely by no means the voice of Bioxx, but the reduction of chest size (when paired with this statement) makes me think collecting every stone, tree, fruit, etc is just not what Bioxx intends for us to do. You are certainly free to do it, but this mod is "Survival mod as it should've been." This mod is about survival. You do not need everything in existence to survive, and I believe the lowered chest size was meant to emphasize that fact. The longer people hold on to that misconception, the harder it will be to let it go and simply enjoy the mod.

Here's an example: I started in a mostly empty area with no visible ores or caves, a few willow trees, a cherry tree, 3 sheep, 1 chicken, and 2 cows. Seems like a map most everyone around here would just delete immediately. Instead I challenged myself to make what I could of it. I killed all the animals, started a willow forest, went fishing, grew wheat, built a home, started a little stone quarry, and I'm prepping supports to begin underground excavation. I'm playing hardcore, so one screwup is all it takes to make it all disappear. I have 4 double chests, and that is all I have ever needed. If I am building something, I immediately go from tree to plank to placement. There is no need to store wood away before use. It results in half-done buildings of course, but I make one at a time and they get done soon enough. Then I move onto whatever my next project might be. When I get some metals then I'll need some more storage, sure, but last I knew it was not intended to take an entire "very large" vein of anything all in one go. It was supposed to be something you came back and collected as you needed.

I've gotten to Red and Blue steel before with Pre39, so I do know the advantages of having powerful metal tools. Once I eased off the hoarding mindset, however, I found the game more enjoyable. Each map I play is a new experience and new challenge. I could certainly scour the lands for every building material to make grand creations, but then it's just the same game every single time. Plus, playing like that I don't even get to enjoy the game until I actually manage to acquire those supplies. Yes, I could say I earned that creation over there with hard work, but really it would be no different than something I could create in creative mode.

There are probably some people who think that the way I've started to play is stupid or wrong, and to them I have this response:

I'm having fun with this game, and you apparently are not. I could care less if it was correct.

-snip-

I couldn't agree more. Ever since I let go of my "hoarding" tendencies, I have actually noticed the game has gotten easier and more fun :P

Instead of tying myself to a base with huge storage and taking everything "just in case", I now use my minimap, keep only what I need, and mine only the ore I need from the veins I find. It's great :D I think the idea is Survive THEN Thrive. If you have to deal with limited storage resources, it stops you from stockpiling everything you will ever need, sometimes, you need to go get it ;)

I also agree. I go on two or three expeditions to gather "exotic" tree saplings and I find it to be fun. I don't wait on those expeditions though I build with what ever is on hand. My tree farms do grow wood for me but I don't harvest a tree type if I don't need it. Yes I limit the size of my farm. I find it makes you stop and think before you build. "Do I have enough wood for this with what I can harvest? Do I need to use local wood to finish it faster? Should I build this in sections because I really like that wood color but don't have enough?" These questions and foreplanning make building very enjoyable to me. Also I play around with not having any resources coming in from my farms during the winter months. It makes me want to build some buildings I normally wouldn't consider I.E. silo, smokehouse, lumberyard, stoneyard. I don't mass collect these resources but it's nice to have a place to put scrap or look for what would look nice. I exclusively use open-air-quarry mining technics and it's fun to go around and find new stone types I can use in my buildings. If I get too much stone to hold I just think of a use. It can be challenging but it's very fun. You could complain about the chest nerf or anything else, but to me it's another challenge to work to my fun or favor.

For the last four posters, the stack size was limited to 16 when this was posted. That is not the case now.

Also the fact that someone points out they enjoy the game because of a further mod makes me very sad.

For the last four posters, the stack size was limited to 16 when this was posted. That is not the case now.

Also the fact that someone points out they enjoy the game because of a further mod makes me very sad.

I see.

I don't understand what you mean ? Because of a further mod ?

You posted about the minimap.

I've been yelled at for 'taking someone else's ore' because they had it marked on their map :rolleyes: Never mind the fact that there was NO indication whatsoever in the actual game world to indicate as such.

Yesterday I nearly drowned because the user I was following could climb up two block high things and I couldn't. I can't enter other user's mine without it. To me, not using the game's natural design is nothing short of cheating- like the ability to dash even though you have nothing in your hunger bar. So... the developer puts stuff in only for modders to circumvent it? Like the sudden need for backpack mods just a week ago? This is just me rambling at this point, but you get the idea. I play with a vanilla TFC so I can properly test this mod. At this point I feel like I'm the only player in existence that feels this way as I have yet to find a single user that isn't using the smart move mod+minimap to the point where I'm wondering if it's required.

As I pointed out earlier, using other mods just masks problems by making those problems much less noticeable. Not noticing problems means they don't get reported and they don't get fixed.

Minimap practically is required. I cannot remember the location of every single vein of ore or location of clay or of animals. In about a week of play on one server I managed to accumulate over 300 waypoints, about two thirds of those representing ore deposits, and maybe 50 of them clay deposits.

Writing down that many sets of coordinates is one thing. Actually having to visualize where something is in relation to me is another.

You posted about the minimap.

I've been yelled at for 'taking someone else's ore' because they had it marked on their map :rolleyes: Never mind the fact that there was NO indication whatsoever in the actual game world to indicate as such.

Yesterday I nearly drowned because the user I was following could climb up two block high things and I couldn't. I can't enter other user's mine without it. To me, not using the game's natural design is nothing short of cheating- like the ability to dash even though you have nothing in your hunger bar. So... the developer puts stuff in only for modders to circumvent it? Like the sudden need for backpack mods just a week ago? This is just me rambling at this point, but you get the idea. I play with a vanilla TFC so I can properly test this mod. At this point I feel like I'm the only player in existence that feels this way as I have yet to find a single user that isn't using the smart move mod+minimap to the point where I'm wondering if it's required.

As I pointed out earlier, using other mods just masks problems by making those problems much less noticeable. Not noticing problems means they don't get reported and they don't get fixed.

That was very childish of the person :P It's nobodies ore, if they wanted it, they should have fought you for it, or mined it themselves before you ever even saw it :P

I've always used the minimap mod as a matter of preference to prevent horrible map clutter (I used to use series' of flaming beacons before the minimap mod even existed :P It was horrible :(), I can understand why you would see the minimap as cheating certainly :P

However, I can assure you that I do not use smart movement to cheat :L I don't even dig the little one high tunnels that never collapse, just on principle :P I prefer the feel of the game with it, as I feel the movement is more enjoyable, so my usage of these mods is not for the sake of fixing perceived problems with the game, merely to enhance my enjoyment of this already great mod :P

I also feel the backpack mod is a total cop out though :P I love the restricted inventories and chests because, to me, it represents a harsher minecraft world I have always wanted :P .. Now .. If only combat was more fun and enemies more challenging, that truly would be a formidable game *sigh*

Lol, smart moving to cheat? Smart moving is required on my server along with tfc. I think it complements tfc greatly. It doesn't make you invulnerable, it doesn't make you fly, it simply let's you climb and crawl through interesting terrain without having to tare it up.

You choose not to use it, but calling someone a cheater for using it is just silly, it doesn't even change or bypass core mechanics of tfc.

I hope chests get phased out in favor of open-air storage. Why?

1) Aesthetics. It's much cooler to build a warehouse to store your swag than putting it in a 2-meter box.

2) Consistency. The player and the chest are about the same size. In fact, the chest is bigger, but holds less material than steves pockets.

I think this is feasable for tough materials like stone, metal, and wood. I'm not sure how food would be handled, however. Icehouses?

You choose not to use it, but calling someone a cheater for using it is just silly, it doesn't even change or bypass core mechanics of tfc.

I NEVER said anyone cheated. I said, "It is a cheat to me"

I don't give a damn if others use it. I DO have a problem when it becomes required to play the game. Yes, it does bypass basic mechanics of the game if other players are using windows for doors and can sprint when I can't.

I NEVER said anyone cheated. I said, "It is a cheat to me"

I don't give a damn if others use it. I DO have a problem when it becomes required to play the game. Yes, it does bypass basic mechanics of the game if other players are using windows for doors and can sprint when I can't.

I don't have a problem with people being able to crawl through a small single block hole, but I do find the unlimited sprinting of Smart Movement that bypasses the hunger restrictions to be cheating.

It's like using a backpack mod along with TFC, it defeats the point of Bioxx limiting what a player can carry at once.

I don't have a problem with people being able to crawl through a small single block hole, but I do find the unlimited sprinting of Smart Movement that bypasses the hunger restrictions to be cheating.

It's like using a backpack mod along with TFC, it defeats the point of Bioxx limiting what a player can carry at once.

But that's what a backpack is there for, to hold more than you actually could on yourself. I think that makes more sense, and I agree with you that they should've tied the sprint into hunger or took it out of smart moving all together.

It feels like to me the spring action does drain the hunger bar. at least on the "normal" setting, I dont know about the easy setting. I think the run does too, but I rarely run so im not as sure.

Besides running in real life never made me hungry. and now meat is going to be a lot harder to stockpile, my main food currently is fish. I HATE FISHING! oh god how I hate it. and fishing on SMP is 10x worse than SSP... I forget what I was talking about.

Yes, jumping drains your hunger. A lot if the game is on hard mode. Run even more so. Those with the smartmoving mod need not worry about any of that.

I don't fish, sadly it's too frustrating. It's easier to find a cow and kill it. However on our last map it was very VERY watery. It would have been cool to set up a fishing village but the current mechanics for fishing could stand to be tweaked so getting food when you're on a water map is a bit easier.

1) Aesthetics. It's much cooler to build a warehouse to store your swag than putting it in a 2-meter box.

2) Consistency. The player and the chest are about the same size. In fact, the chest is bigger, but holds less material than steves pockets.

I think this is feasable for tough materials like stone, metal, and wood. I'm not sure how food would be handled, however. Icehouses?

I only just started playing, but I agree with you entirely. I was very surprised to see that chest size was reduced so drastically, but I took it in stride. Having seen the way logs are placed and stored, I immediately fell in love with open-air storage. Nothing feels as right as a pile of logs sitting in plain sight alongside a smithy. (On a personal note, my family had a wood-burning fireplace when I was young, so I grew up stacking and splitting wood. So nostalgic.)

From what I've read, there may be plans to expand upon this? If so, I simply cannot wait.

Open Air storage may be nice, but its not for everyone, having a general chest storage system is "real" in fact, we have whole buildings dedicated to such. I am not against the current changes as a whole, but I would be against removing chests completely.

Open Air storage may be nice, but its not for everyone, having a general chest storage system is "real" in fact, we have whole buildings dedicated to such. I am not against the current changes as a whole, but I would be against removing chests completely.

You need general storage space, but historically and up until this day, any large scale collection of any resource is put to open storage. If you think about the implications of keeping rotting flesh, metal ore and your bread in the same container, it's flaws become immediately apparent :P

That said, they still make sense as a small storage method for your personal items such as armour and fishing rods etc.

I love the idea of open air storage and I think that this is planned ( dont quote me on this, its just a feeling as the way things are going) however it doesnt work for everything as you say food cant be left lying around its just silly but the idea of an ice box or salting ur meat and leaving it in chests is feesable ( no idea how to spell that) as it has been done in history and i think would be a great way of forcing you to have some sort of interaction with the food rather then killing the animal i came from then storing it for what may be in game years before eating its just not realistic.

I have seen some people post in other topics that things shouldnt be changed cause they are complicated or they are gettting in the way but this is a realistic mod and life is complicated i would never be able to run a mine fishing village farm and build everything myself so why should i be able to easily do this in a mod. this mod should be hard as it makes it much more fun to play multiplayer cause you can actually have separate jobs for each person which i have been looking for in a mod for a very long time but no one has been able to do it properly.

To sum up as i rambled a bit and slighty went off topic i love the open air storage and chests being nerfed so i hope this gets much more attention as it has quite a large knock on affect on many other areas of the mod.