Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Skoobysnax

About construction changes possibility

23 posts in this topic

I feel that the recent possible update by bioxx would be cool and a pain in the ass for many people, depending on why they wanted to try out this mod. I have a few ideas to resolve the problem. I personally like the way the building system is currently, because of the building restrictions with cobble, etc., which already is tedious. The addition of building materials to put these together would completely take " building a city" out of the equation. But, I have a couple ideas to use both ideas. Idea 1: split the game into two different versions, one catered towards being a bit easier for people who like building things quicker, and a version towards the tedious, hard game loving people. Although this may add a lot more onto the work load, but you could also bring others with the same idea of where the game should go, into help. It will defenetally worth it in the long run. Idea 2: test run it, and based on the feed back, remove it, or stick with it. It is only in beta mode, after all. I am torn towards both because the changes sound hard, but I wouldn't know if I like it or not until I tried it. Hope you find something of worth from this.

Good luck, skooby

Edit: unless he makes the planks, etc stackable to 64 or 32, and the chests getting nerfed, it's just another thing to try to find space for.

This could be feasable if TFC was done in moduals, but not so much as it stands. It would be cool to have it done in moduals but I would rather see development progress toward an end more quickly than to have two or three versions of everything be developed so everyone can "Have it Your way!" (Burgurking Slogan)

Also, the more developers you get working on a project such as this the more problems and bugs trying to mesh things togather. Yes big game companies do it but they also tell their coders how to structure and everything else.

Another point, if you make building this much harder to build, I might as well go build something outside. This is minecraft, and changing this much about it takes the game right out of it. It basically is turning it into sims.

When you start a new world you have an option for creative mode. It sounds like what your looking for.

Aye, creative mode is for being creative. Survival mode is for surviving. Instant city building is more of a creative endeavour than a survival oriented one. Minecraft 1.3 is going to add a cheat mode if you want the best of both worlds, so there's that to look forward to.

Though it would be neat to throw some TFC items into the spawn chests they're also adding for people who want an easy start. :U

Building a city with one person is a tedious task, even in vanilla minecraft. If that's what you want to do, play creative(which is intended for building, as mentioned above), or SMP, where you have other people to help you build.

I don't know about everyone else, but with the planned construction changes building a house will go from a regular task to something you get a lot of self-satisfaction out of for completing. Building a palace in vanilla is one thing, but building a palace with TFC's planned construction is something completely different.

So what exactly are these construction changes you guys are referring to?

I know that there's creative mode, *facepalm* I meant like building houses, and towns ( on servers), and having to build plank by plank would take many many minecraft days, leaving you out in the open to creeps, unless you build a 2x2x2 box with a bed in it and use that as your shelter.

I know that there's creative mode, *facepalm* I meant like building houses, and towns ( on servers), and having to build plank by plank would take many many minecraft days, leaving you out in the open to creeps, unless you build a 2x2x2 box with a bed in it and use that as your shelter.

Did you read Bioxx's post on construction? He said that even though you'll have to build rock by rock and plank by plank, construction won't take ridiculously long to do. So you won't expect building a house to take ingame days to complete.

In addition, you can't really criticize a system that hasn't been made yet, either.

I relish the challenge. If you are concerned that you can't protect yourself for long enough to build a house, I advise you get more wary, carry a weapon and play more wisely, or put it on peaceful :P

i agree with jed allways wary allways careful and better safe then sorry

Did you read Bioxx's post on construction? He said that even though you'll have to build rock by rock and plank by plank, construction won't take ridiculously long to do. So you won't expect building a house to take ingame days to complete.

In addition, you can't really criticize a system that hasn't been made yet, either.

Yes I read it, or else I wouldn't have made the post, and your rite, I really shouldn't criticize it before its even out. I meant it more as an opinion than a criticization.

i like this idea, it will help encourage cooperation in servers, and with the knife now working as a weapon, as well as javelins, you already have decent methods of defending yourself, even without a crafting bench, something vanilla never had. now if only there would be a metal ranged weapon... metal javelins (with a minor nerf to the current "stone" version) or throwable shards of some kind anyone?

it would be nice for you to need to get some kind of metal for nails or something before you can make a wooden structure, it could even go so far as to determine the resistance to explosions! imagine the satisfaction of using hardwood and high tier metal nails, knowing that only a tiny hole will be punched in the wall when a creeper decides to hug the house.

also as far as storage issues go, i have been a huge fan of open-air storage since i saw log piles, they could use this for soo many other things, including pallets of nails, boards, and other assorted non-blocks. it would also make actual organization much easier, as you can easily see what is in each pile instead of rummaging through each chest trying to find the one you dropped your stack of nails into. (i know some people carefully categorize each chest, but i find that more tedious than counting blades of grass) plus, it would make a construction site look like an actual construction site, with various tools and materials lying around!

...and with the knife now working as a weapon, as well as javelins, you already have decent methods of defending yourself, even without a crafting bench, something vanilla never had....

Javelins require a crafting bench. Just saying. B)

I also am in favor of the open-air storage that Kelik had mentioned, its visually interesting, and much easier to organize your materials with. I would want to see it used for many things: wheat/grain, wool, tools, etc..

On another note, I think it would be cool if the strength and integrity of your structure hinged on a strong and solid foundation. Perhaps you would have to dig one or two blocks down in the earth and start building there for more advanced structures, I also hope things like pourable concrete that dries and hardens gets implemented as I think this would add more flavor and options to construction.

Javelins require a crafting bench. Just saying. B)

yeah i wasn't clear with that. i meant to say that the knife doesn't require a crafting bench, and the javelin is a wonderful weapon, considering your tech level required is only a crafting bench. it far outstrips other weapons that require similar materials.

I think you have something there paragon. That would make total sense to make it based on a solider frame rather than gravity for some blocks.

So did anyone notice that javalins don't require a bench anymore? They take 1 stick now.

So did anyone notice that javalins don't require a bench anymore? They take 1 stick now.

I would hope there'd be a few, since it was stated in the change log:

Removed one stick from the Javelin recipe. It is now just a rock on top of a stick.

a mudhouse (plaggenhut) with 3 support beams is build quickly enough.

Posted Image

Very nice! I was thinking about constructing a house like that a couple/few months ago but never got around to trying to design one. That turned out great. :)