Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
lakeel

volcanic forgeing and smithing

115 posts in this topic

Things are only wasted if you let them be. Maybe this mod doesn't use your idea, but that doesn't mean another won't. Mods can work together. You could: write a mod with this, commission a mod writer to make this a mod for you, or plant the idea in another mod authors ear. This doesn't mean the end. It only means this door is closed for now. Who knows you might have given them an idea for something like this or they might change part of the mod because of what you've said. Lava turning into ropy-lava rock near or at the surface would be awesome. Nothing is ever a waste unless you give-up.

BTW I don't think lava should ever gain the ability to be moved in any way other than channeling it.

You should be surprised when you read it - http://dwarffortress...31:Magma_piston

The lifting mechanism could be implemented more truth-like right after bioxx add pressure to liquids. The cobble block falling into lava or a moving-in piston head should cause it to move (not just disappear) - in DF it glitchly teleports up, but I foresee a more agile method.

This method assumes that lava is finite liquid. Also my mind requests the lava's ability to be able to have 1 to N (8? 10? 16?) stable in-block levels - or liquid block pushed out of the lake will never spread and should travel its surface or stay on it infinitely, which looks a bit strange. (In Eloraam's Red Power it does stay if pushed in lake by pump - and if lake is big, it lags like hell, because place is chosen randomly)

At instance, (in very-pseudocode)

liquid.beingPushed() {

if this block is isolated from stream // the block is alone

if this block has air on one side [directed by impulse, down, spreading on plane, up]

teleport in it

otherwise

if falling item is cobble

swap liquid block and cobble

otherwise

stop block from sinking or piston from expanding

otherwise

traverse the stream, locating first nearby air block

spread in them

}

Of any course, the lava block, sticking out the magma should also try to spread in nearby air. If one lava "slab" will be pushed into an other, they will add (should counts as 1 - lava-level air, if >1 air block found - no spread at all).

If bioxx will also add pistons - I speak of those made from magma-proof materials, of course - one could also make a true lava pump working by the next schema:

0. Initial - output is pressure-isolated.

LLLVSSS

LLLLSSS

SS->LLL

SSSSSSS

1. Lava is a slowpoke. If this phase will be no longer than 1-2-3 tick, it shouldn't even notice a little vaccum here. One can also make a more complex system, with pressure-protection.

LLLVSSS

LLLLSSS

SS> LLL

SSSSSSS

2. Now input becomes isolated. Ready to punch!

LLL|SSS

LLLVSSS

SS>LLLL

SSSSSSS

3. +1 lava block in reservoir. And the next step will be the 0 again.

LLL|SSS

LLLVSSS

SS->LLL

SSSSSSS

The WEAPON TRIBUTE from Boatmurdered also will be able to made and incur !!FUN!!

I also presume, what pressure wave traversing the stream should affect the speed of floating objects - acting as a sharp acceleration of them (mb, setting speed to the 1m/tick?). This could be used like a pneumatic pipe - but with liquid. Just imagine the item-autholifting system in your shaft!*

* we do not responsible for loss of you precious items in case of despawn on 5 min delay

The boats (in water) will gather the acceleration from natural stream of water, caused by in-air teleporting of traversed block.

P.S.: travelling inside the stream, block at first will try to hold height level of incured impulse - gravity is a potential field.

Edited by hindmost

During a volcanic eruption, lava, or magma, can travel downhill at speeds between 20-60 miles per hour.

its char coal... i understand how char coal can still burn and hold its heat for a while. so 75 kilos of coal about 165 pounds of coal, which probably wouldnt fit in a 3x3x9 foot area is suppost to burn without choking itself out and melt 33 pounds of ore (15 kilos) which flows to the bottom over the coals without extinguishing them.......yep.........realistic....

Life's going to be a lot easier for you if you switch to metric lol. Blocks in minecraft are measured in metres, not yards. 3 blocks is 10 feet, not 9. And metric is so conveniently set in base 10 :)

During a volcanic eruption, lava, or magma, can travel downhill at speeds between 20-60 miles per hour.

Saying "can travel" and then giving a range doesn't make much sense lol.

Also, doesn't that all depend on the angle of the hill and the coeficient of friction? At an 89 degree angle, I wouldn't expect lava to be slow

Nor would I expect it to stay hot. As I've said before it should never be able to move in an upwards direction without turning into a rock. If this idea is to ever be seriously considered it needs to be:

not over-powered, (you must travel to it which may be out of the way from your other buildings and would be less convienent)

interesting to enough people to make coding it worth while, (a infinite heat source that we can use instead of burning the forests down [like Mordor did :) ])

not make previous features useless, (works with most melting points and to heat not melt ferrous metal unlike bloomeries which melt all metals)

I'm sure I'm leaving something else out but I'm not a dev. so ... just be mindful of the work these great people do for us for free

So basically:

- Has to be built around flowing lava from a generated source block

- Does not require fuel

- Remains permanently at the same heat level

- Not hot enough to melt later metals, but hot enough to make them workable

- Looks badass

Is this an efficient and balanced summation of this idea?

Amazing idea bro! Something to add to part 5 though... if you put water in it the bucket may crack leaving you with scrap (just to be annoying or reused). You must let it cool a bit before adding water (boo physics :) ), I wouldn't make it too low that it's nearly obsolete, which is almost realistic.

... and also you can have the lava pumped in (mechanism was described at the end of page 4 of this topic) which looks moar badass and, you know, tubes build of chiselled stone (maybe, glass?), providing that lava into your SKY FORGE or MAGMA CANNON should look awesome.

So basically:

- Does not require fuel

- Looks badass

Yeah sounds right.

So basically:

- Does not require fuel

- Looks badass

>.> no its not...

1. i said put lava in it like coal...kindof... not an ugleh river....hmmm... that shall be plan B

2. no...thats part of plan B

3. yes...

4 yes...

5. and yes...

d** it..... yd u haft to go and expose my plan B :c

Amazing idea bro! Something to add to part 5 though... if you put water in it the bucket may crack leaving you with scrap (just to be annoying or reused). You must let it cool a bit before adding water (boo physics :) ), I wouldn't make it too low that it's nearly obsolete, which is almost realistic.

hmmm...... 50/50 chance it cracks at faint red or above. if it does crack u need to smith it and weld it with a new metal sheet to patch up the crack...

Plan B is the only way it would make sense, but I love your plan B bro.

Plan B is the only way it would make sense, but I love your plan B bro.

but plan B dont have lava buckits D:

but it does have more creative designs and interesting rooms that could come from lava channeling

You could add a durability bar for the buckets as well, so while transporting the lava they lose it quickly and if you put in the water to early they lose a great amount of it.

But I also like plan B more: Lava canals that tranport lava in my giant iron forge would look so brillliant. ^_^

>.> no its not...

1. i said put lava in it like coal...kindof... not an ugleh river....hmmm... that shall be plan B

2. no...thats part of plan B

3. yes...

4 yes...

5. and yes...

d** it..... yd u haft to go and expose my plan B :c

Cuz it's better.

Plan A was moronic.

Dis iz best.

Oh god, please do not turn this into a dolan grammar thread :o

Oh god, please do not turn this into a dolan grammar thread :o

Posted Image

Oh god... too many horrible memories XD but nicely played sir

So basically:

- Does not require fuel

- Looks badass

Yeah Id back that setup overall.. I still have to keep my stance on not wanting people to move lava around in a bucket :D

Yeah Id back that setup overall.. I still have to keep my stance on not wanting people to move lava around in a bucket :D

I can see two reasons for that... You don't want people carrying it around because it's overpowered and you don't want to get spilled on. :)

I can settle for that good sir :), nice to finally meet in the middle on this issue :), but you forgot one thing. We'd still need to take care of the sulfur content that comes from the lava. That's where my bellows idea comes in handy :D.

I can settle for that good sir :), nice to finally meet in the middle on this issue :), but you forgot one thing. We'd still need to take care of the sulfur content that comes from the lava. That's where my bellows idea comes in handy :D.

It may be possible more steps would have to come along but a balance needs to be struck between the (difficulty/tedious/useful)ness of the things. I think not being able to move the lava and having to build your forge by/with/near it would be enough of the challenge that you could just skip the sulfur issues, after you clear it out and keep it in check and such ;)

It may be possible more steps would have to come along but a balance needs to be struck between the (difficulty/tedious/useful)ness of the things. I think not being able to move the lava and having to build your forge by/with/near it would be enough of the challenge that you could just skip the sulfur issues, after you clear it out and keep it in check and such ;)

i can live with that....but lava lava pools are so freaking hard to find...and if u slip ut stuff falls in the lava