Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Srgnoodles

Sticks Vs Handles/Rods

42 posts in this topic

I can totally imagine myself sitting criss-cross in a beautiful grassy field working on my lap definitely not nervous that I'll be eaten by a bear at a moments notice. I just don't see it as something that requires a workstation, but I could be wrong.

Idea Get!

maybe crafting could take time? it makes sense because it takes at least a little time to make things, but im not sure how people will like having to take time to craft things

I misunderstood the idea, disregard my comment. I agree some kind of handle would be nice but is it really necessary?

Regarding the above: I've thought of this before and I have always came to the conclusion that the time necessary to craft something is the time it takes for us to work not the tool randomly assembling itself. In other words we would need to actually work stuff a GUI of some sort would make sense but again you gotta ask yourself does this add more to the game than it takes away because I don't think it does.

Hypothetical updates: The backbone of this forum...

Indeed they are, I would say we have an unusually creative bunch here on this forum, and there are definitely some people here who come only to lurk on the suggestions forum .. Not looking at anyone in particular ¬.¬ :P

I can totally imagine myself sitting criss-cross in a beautiful grassy field working on my lap definitely not nervous that I'll be eaten by a bear at a moments notice. I just don't see it as something that requires a workstation, but I could be wrong.

I'm in two minds about this, namely because I don't really know what entails a "decent workspace". Was Eternal implying you would need tools, or just a decent area and surface ? :S

Idea Get!

maybe crafting could take time? it makes sense because it takes at least a little time to make things, but im not sure how people will like having to take time to craft things

Won't lie, I'm not a fan. I love the way that this mod shifts a lot of the game from in game skills to meta skill. I think that this would detract from the meta skill aspect of the game slightly :/

but I'll post my own pics of me eating my goddamned fedora

Ahahaha you wear a fedora :lol:

v no mate, no you don't. I don't even need to see a picture to know that.

Ahahaha you wear a fedora :lol:

Damn skippy

And brother, I make it look goooooooooood

If we're talking handles with leather grips, I could see needing a good workplace with the appropriate tools and space for that. It'd be hard to measure, cut, shape, and properly attach leather to a handle without such a setup.

If however you're talking about just whittling down a piece of wood to a handle shape then sure, you could work it down that way pretty much anywhere. Heck you could also make some sort of leather wrap in the field, perhaps, but I don't think it'd be easy or productive in most cases.

Or just a thought, instead of solely using wooden handles, why not use Metallic handles, having the whole of the tool be durable would increase the strength significantly, historically, i believe many weapons and some tools had this, so if i go through the trouble of getting steal, why oh why, would i want to throw a stick as the handle, especially with the no-repair currently. But, otherwise i completely agree with the Suggestion.

+ 1 :)

Metallic handles are a double edged sword. their durability is amazing, but the weight and brittleness could cause severe injury and cause the tool to not function properly. Historically, very few tools or weapons used metal handles due to the fact that it ruined balance. Nowadays, most "metal handles" are actually fiberglass or polymer.

Not to mention metal handles also would impart the entire force of an impact up the length of the tool, so when you hit that pickax against that hard rock it is going to go "PIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGG!!!" And your going to feel this lovely numbing/painful shock in your hands/arms.

Trust me I tried it once wit ha sledgehammer .. the handle broke so I go the brilliant idea to use a iron pipe... I quickly changed my mind.

Well, i suppose for tools, but for weapons, i know that some were crafting almost entirely out of metal, such as pikes, and weapons that needed to be shatter resistant.

Not to mention metal handles also would impart the entire force of an impact up the length of the tool, so when you hit that pickax against that hard rock it is going to go "PIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGG!!!" And your going to feel this lovely numbing/painful shock in your hands/arms. Trust me I tried it once wit ha sledgehammer .. the handle broke so I go the brilliant idea to use a iron pipe... I quickly changed my mind.

I know that feel :S .. I don't know how people can even use fibreglass handles :P I stick to good old fashioned hickory for all my handles

Well, i suppose for tools, but for weapons, i know that some were crafting almost entirely out of metal, such as pikes, and weapons that needed to be shatter resistant.

I've only ever seen weapons such as war picks and maces being made in all metal, I would be shocked if somebody had made an all metal pike :P Just to clarify, pikes are long as shit :L

Posted Image

i think you may be thinking of lances or throwing spears, the former of which was almost always wood with a metal TIP, the latter very rarely all metal do to balance and aerodynamics. thank newton!

Ah, thanks for the info guys :)

I was going to start a new thread for my idea on handles but i think i'll resurrect this one instead with my idea.

i think different woods should impart different weak enchantments to the tools they get attached to, so instead of changing durability of the tool it simply adds the enchant durability, basically the same effect but seems easier to implement. seems reasonably the a soft wood would give faster mining results, where harder wood could give more durable tool. so you can customize the handles to your prefrences.

i would like to have a small minigame to craft handles, similar to the crafting of other tools, but with a woodworking bench and knife, saw, axe, chisel ... etc.

as for the gui of the woodworking bench, i'll leave that up to someone else, cause i couldnt think of a good design.

Mentioned this before, but wooden pegs/nails work by being larger then the hole they go into. you hammer it into place and it acts as a bond stronger then conventional glues. Any mention of using a string, fiber, leather as a bonding agent should be rethought as those kinds of bonds are AMAZINGLY weak compared to hammering a handle into its given slot.

Edit:

did not read dates.. oops

Mentioned this before, but wooden pegs/nails work by being larger then the hole they go into. you hammer it into place and it acts as a bond stronger then conventional glues. Any mention of using a string, fiber, leather as a bonding agent should be rethought as those kinds of bonds are AMAZINGLY weak compared to hammering a handle into its given slot.

Edit:

did not read dates.. oops

But wooden pegs must be a one use items, because when you use them, their form changes and loses friction.

Look up how hammers are made. No imagine them being made in midevil times. K?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0