Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ximeeen

Larger Biomes - Realistic Biome Transition

86 posts in this topic

Well, i suppose i understand, and torodial, most people will assume is spherical anyways, so i see no harm in a torodial wrap.

Well, i suppose i understand, and torodial, most people will assume is spherical anyways, so i see no harm in a torodial wrap.

no wraps.

I thought we were doing latitude and longitude and thewhole hotter at the equator colder at the poles deal how will that happen without a wrap?

I thought we were doing latitude and longitude and thewhole hotter at the equator colder at the poles deal how will that happen without a wrap?

well... You can imagine how hard it is to do a wrap, the terrain has to line up with itself and minecraft is designed intirely linearly. It can't deal with the idea of a wrap, it just doesn't fit the array structure of chunks. Think of it more as a simulated world. There will be latitude, but not longitude.

well... You can imagine how hard it is to do a wrap, the terrain has to line up with itself and minecraft is designed intirely linearly. It can't deal with the idea of a wrap, it just doesn't fit the array structure of chunks. Think of it more as a simulated world. There will be latitude, but not longitude.

its discworld, exept that now, its ribbonworld !

its discworld, exept that now, its ribbonworld !

It's more of a 2D map, where x -> infinity and y-> +- 90 degrees. and temperature is inverse to y.

It's more of a 2D map, where x -> infinity and y-> +- 90 degrees. and temperature is inverse to y.

Suspension of disbelief.... shattered. -_-

XD

Elegantly stated Dunk XD of course, it won't be exactly inverse will it? i mean there will be a variation depending on biome too, yeah? like a desert would be much hotter than a ocean of the same latitude. Also, Deserts, as i'm sure you are aware, are blazing hot during the day, and frigid during the night, because of the lack of a water buffer. maybe that could be implemented?

Elegantly stated Dunk XD of course, it won't be exactly inverse will it? i mean there will be a variation depending on biome too, yeah? like a desert would be much hotter than a ocean of the same latitude. Also, Deserts, as i'm sure you are aware, are blazing hot during the day, and frigid during the night, because of the lack of a water buffer. maybe that could be implemented?

A minor correction, an ocean would be more consistant in temperature then a desert at the same latitude. Unless currents are implemented. So at say 1000 miles north of the equator you have a desert, in that desert there is little humidity, and as such the temp could be 115f in the day, and 30f at night. The ocean however has plenty of humidity and as such could be a nice 85f during peak heat of the day, and maybe 65f at night.

Which you mostly mentioned, but I just embelished upon.

Lol, yes, i understand the concept, thank you for the clarification anyways.

A minor correction, an ocean would be more consistant in temperature then a desert at the same latitude. Unless currents are implemented. So at say 1000 miles north of the equator you have a desert, in that desert there is little humidity, and as such the temp could be 115f in the day, and 30f at night. The ocean however has plenty of humidity and as such could be a nice 85f during peak heat of the day, and maybe 65f at night.

Which you mostly mentioned, but I just embelished upon.

actually, it probably wouldn't, as the ocean is so deep and the water has a much higher specific heat capacity. To raise the temperature of the ocean as much as you do the sand or the air, you would require a great deal more energy than you would the sand.

actually, it probably wouldn't, as the ocean is so deep and the water has a much higher specific heat capacity. To raise the temperature of the ocean as much as you do the sand or the air, you would require a great deal more energy than you would the sand.

Wasn't refering to the water temp, was refering to the air temps over the water, and they were more of a made up number to greater demonstrait that air temps in an ocean biome would in theory be more stable than a desert.

Wasn't refering to the water temp, was refering to the air temps over the water, and they were more of a made up number to greater demonstrait that air temps in an ocean biome would in theory be more stable than a desert.

The air temp is also affected.

The air temp is also affected.

I know, but your saying the same thing I'm saying, the temperatures over the ocean remain more constant and don't change but a few digrees at any given time without something substantial. Like storms and shifts in major currents and such.

I know, but your saying the same thing I'm saying, the temperatures over the ocean remain more constant and don't change but a few digrees at any given time without something substantial. Like storms and shifts in major currents and such.

well yes, but I wanted to sound like we were saying something completely different... >.> oh well

There will be latitude, but not longitude.

I dont think i understand this completely. It makes my brain hurt a little.

basically, there is a finite North and south, but not a limited west and east, this is so that temperatures can vary based on latitude.

basically, there is a finite North and south, but not a limited west and east, this is so that temperatures can vary based on latitude.

more like this.

post-236-0-89231700-1344983251_thumb.jpg

This... is what I've been talking about... so long. Very nice. Is that what we can expect from the generator in terms of masses? In other words, will the landmasses be centrally located, or will there be 'polar' landmasses as well?

-snip-

Was that sweet sweet preview or just shooped ? Because it got me uncomfortably excited for such a non-de-script image :L

I would assume it isn't a preview, but that's just me, unless the ice caps are pure white on the map that is.

I would assume it isn't a preview, but that's just me, unless the ice caps are pure white on the map that is.

That's what I was presuming :L

That's what I was presuming :L

we haven't started coding yet, but we're looking into it. (That was 15 minutes in paint.NET =P)

we haven't started coding yet, but we're looking into it. (That was 15 minutes in paint.NET =P)

That took you 15 minutes, boy got some novices here. This is how it's done.

Posted Image

2 minutes of paint.net, masterpiece.

Anyway, besides that, I am totally confused.

About what exactly? things are pretty clear to me :/