Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
JRagans

Leather Gloves

59 posts in this topic

This is just something i came up with yesterday while playing.

I think that given the extra amounts of leather recieved from killing pigs/cows, a good use for that would be leather gloves for metal working.

It would work like a hammer during chiseling (just needing to be in the hotbar).

Leather gloves would be able to prevent you recieving damage from a firepit.

Surrounding gloves with leather in your crafting table would give you 2x Leather gloves, which would be able to handle the heat of the forge as well as increasing durability.

Surrounding 2x gloves with Leather again would give you 4x Leather gloves, which could handle the Bloomery's heat, and once again increase durability.

Not wearing gloves would burn you in the following ways:

Firepit- 1/2 heart of damage

Forge- 1 heart of damage

Bloomery- 2 hearts

I do like it... but, just two things:

-How do you make the starter leather gloves, to begin with?

-This is simply a detail, shouldn't sorrounding 2x leather gloves twice give you 4x leather gloves? : just maths things, though i understood what you meant...

-So much leather sorrounding the gloves, wouldn't make them a little too hard for you to move the hands when wearing them? ._.

-Shouldn't this use tanned -i think that's how you write it :- leather, rather than raw leather? i think leather tanning was something confirmed... i think ._.

-What if you spawn in a world completely devoid of both cows and pigs? : we already have to eliminate worlds very often due to world changing updates...

Don't take this as an agresive critic, i'm trying to flesh out the idea a little more, so it's not completely ignored :

I like it, but I don't know if Bioxx does. I know we're trying to implement environmental damages (bundle up in the cold)

I forgot tanning was in the works. So yeah, tanned leather would probably work. Maybe remove the firepit damage so that the leather only goes to 2x (1x on forge damage and 2x on bloomery).

As far as the math, i'll admit i bit off the idea from either ic2 or bc that had insulated wire. it went 1x, 2x, 4x. I never understood it either though.

As far as how to build them, im trying to think of a viable 3x3 pattern...

Relating to the world devoid of animals....i have no answer for that, as it seems like a glitch in the world more than an inability to create gloves/ leather armour. How would one survive in a world without animals as a beginning food source?

Obviously its a work in progress, but if anyone else thinks its a good idea, maybe some of these kinks could be more easily worked out.

Sorry for the double post but @dunkleosteus, its obviously not a matter of dire importance, so i wasn't exactly expecting it to be implemented in the next build, if at all.

Like I said, it pretty much just came to mind one afternoon as i was playing around with ingots.

Nice to know at least a couple people like the idea though.

Relating to the world devoid of animals....i have no answer for that, as it seems like a glitch in the world more than an inability to create gloves/ leather armour. How would one survive in a world without animals as a beginning food source?

I said "devoid of pigs and cows". Go chicken hunting : you will survive as long as you find 4-5 every mile (i think...)

and regarding the way you propose to craft them... Not a fan : those who use the backpack mod will be sad to see it rendered incompatible with TFC because they can't make backpacks -which is the reason you are installing that mod in the first place... xD-. Also, it would be too much leather : it would mean a pair of leather gloves use the same amount of leather a leather chest uses. How about, two leather pieces in this way:

XXX

LXL

XXX

X-nothing, L-leather

I mean, i think they would use less leather than leather boots... :

True. Although I've never been a fan of the 3x3 boots design, for continuity sake, your design would work. Maybe for the 2x, the design could be.

XXX

LGL

XXX

X= nothing, L=leather, G=original gloves.

As far as the lack of cows/pigs, i dont know to be honest. Lack of leather seems like a serious problem seeing as leather armor would also be out of the question.

And bellows. But yeah, that was just a very rare case, just to see how you reacted :] *<---creepy smile*

About the recipe, agreed :3 maybe you could have a recipe to directly jump from leather gloves to 3x gloves, like:

LXL

LGL

XXX

just for convenience :P

Well that was just mean! Lol.

Yeah i like the formula for them, it seems like the simplest and most effective way to go about it.

So to recap: we need to tan leather, and form 1x Gloves to use the firepit.

Making 2x gloves would allow us to use the Forge without getting burnt.

And 3x gloves would let us use the Bloomery without getting burnt.

To use the gloves, simply have them selected in the hotbar (like a hammer on a "stone anvil") and right click on the firepit, forge, bloomery.

Or maybe you could have them equipped, in other slot like those for the armor, in which you could also wear metal guantlets... º-º

That would be ideal but it seems like it'd be a lot of extra work.

I'd be happy just "hotbarring" the gloves until Bioxx wants to redo the entire player UI.

Well, in fact, modifying the player GUI was already suggested, and much more complex than just space for gloves... Don't knwo what the devs said about it :

Link to thread?

Just to see ideas that were pitched and see if i could add in anything.

An idea for upgraded gloves, 2 layers of leather with wool between them.

Modern welding gloves are made in this manner except with heat resistant fibers between the leather.

I believe wool, in the form of fleece which is unworked wool, and leather would be period appropriate and such.

i like the whole idea of gloves and i think it shouldn't be limited to leather, other armor sets should need gloves to be fully effective too, cuz you don't just go into battle with a chestplate, you have armor on your arms and hands as well

i like the whole idea of gloves and i think it shouldn't be limited to leather, other armor sets should need gloves to be fully effective too, cuz you don't just go into battle with a chestplate, you have armor on your arms and hands as well

Well, here we are talking about using gloves for managing fire related temperatures without damaging yourself, and metal gloves would be a pretty bad choice for that... :P but yeah, i like the idea of armor gloves for extra protection.

Idea i mentioned a few posts before, BTW xD

* the leather amount, decrease the amount of leather drops+add leather to the crafting recipe (good lether clothing is created by layering several leather sheets, ( gloves thin leather(neck,skull etc) boots need several layers (soft/fur for the inner, a middle to connect inner+outer (another barrier) and the outer (hard leather(legs back etc)

If I don't care for the practical use of leather gloves to keep me warm or keep me un-burned, may I make some stylish and hip fingerless leather gloves? All the fellas at school would be so jealous.

Nah, but I like this idea, gloves would be great. Maybe they could even increase the power in PvP fist fighting? What about metal studded gloves to further PvP damage?

If I don't care for the practical use of leather gloves to keep me warm or keep me un-burned, may I make some stylish and hip fingerless leather gloves? All the fellas at school would be so jealous.

...so much... rage...

u mad brooooo?

seriously now. Don't act this way. This forum is supposed to be a place to share your ideas. Let's act like adults here (or try to).

Gloves seems like an interesting suggestion. I don't know how the proposed tanning system works but maybe you could different levels (and uses) of gloves depending on how they were prepared

Let's act like adults here (or try to).

heehee! and he sounded so serious too!