Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Artuga

Tree growth speed/size

80 posts in this topic

The problem I see with surface roots, is in the real world roots grow down first. when they cant anymore(stopped by rocks) THEN they grow outwards. THis brings up the issue on generation where dirt layer is MUCH deeper in one spot then another.

The problem I see with surface roots, is in the real world roots grow down first. when they cant anymore(stopped by rocks) THEN they grow outwards. THis brings up the issue on generation where dirt layer is MUCH deeper in one spot then another.

That's true, but if you think about it, this could be used to add some randomness to where large forests would generate.

If we stay with the suggestion where trees also can spread out by themselves, the deeper dirt layers would allow for trees to grow larger in certain areas (limitation for continuous growth by root size)

Thus creating areas with massive forests, and other areas with lower, denser vegetation.

Deeper dirt would allow trees to grow closer together. Shallow dirt would force trees to grow larger(width), and the greatest depth dirt could support super massive trees such as sequoias. All trees should be able to have saplings, and should grow at a believable rate based on its real world counterparts(note: Not a 1:1 scale)

Trees would have to have certain conditions to meet if they are to grow to maturity. water tables(simulated), fertile/viable ground(dirt), and means to grow(can reach full height without obstruction)

Actually, several trees' roots don't grow down that far - about half a meter or so for Siberian pine trees. I lived in pine forest for half of my present life and fell the withered ones with me hands couple of times, so I saw quite a lot of dem roots.

Mmm... you know, ECC gave me an idea (which is strange in this case, 'cause it hasn't that much relation with what he said... ._: )

What if we get TFC cacti, which also implement the roots system, BUT, they grow outwards instead of downwards -like they do in real life, trying to capture as much water as they can-. We could even have a desert big "tree": saguaros

Posted Image

There is no need for them to still be a source of green dye -not sure if that's correct in vanilla or not-, but they would be nice, and make the desserts look a little bit more alive...

EDIT: do i need to mention that they would need to have "branches"?

Mmm... you know, ECC gave me an idea (which is strange in this case, 'cause it hasn't that much relation with what he said... ._: )

What if we get TFC cacti, which also implement the roots system, BUT, they grow outwards instead of downwards -like they do in real life, trying to capture as much water as they can-. We could even have a desert big "tree": saguaros

Posted Image

There is no need for them to still be a source of green dye -not sure if that's correct in vanilla or not-, but they would be nice, and make the desserts look a little bit more alive...

EDIT: do i need to mention that they would need to have "branches"?

cacti implementation would be cool, but i think some sort of practical use should be in place as well. Guess you could implement cactus juice to go with the new thirst mechanics. this would give you a way to survive in deserts, and possibly even live in one :-)

and possibly even live in one :-)

This piece of phrase sounds cool.

Just to clarify, i meant living in the desert, not in the cactus :)

Just to clarify, i meant living in the desert, not in the cactus :)

I know, that. What did you think? Living in a cactus...looooooool

Living in a cactus...looooooool

Well, I think if you shave, it you should be able to build yourself a nest in its branches.

Well, I think if you shave, it you should be able to build yourself a nest in its branches.

But that way it can die. And if it doesn't die, thorns regrow.

I just felt it sounded very weird when you quoted only that part :P

Although if these cacti were implemented, i would build myself a small hut in the top, just to have done it :D

But that way it can die. And if it doesn't die, thorns regrow.

It will die only if I'll break it somehow, but why would I want to break it? It's not like I'm hosting females in my nest or anything.

And do thorns really regrow? I don't want to test it with my little one, he's not even rooted firmly yet.

It will die only if I'll break it somehow, but why would I want to break it? It's not like I'm hosting females in my nest or anything.

And do thorns really regrow? I don't want to test it with my little one, he's not even rooted firmly yet.

No, thorns don't regrow. Don't test.

I think they do... they are just modified leaves, leaves regrow, so it could regrow... right?

I think they do... they are just modified leaves, leaves regrow, so it could regrow... right?

Yes, they regrow, but some scars remain.

My suggestion to "tree problem". Make trees have 5 stages, sapling, tiny(1plank),small(2plank),medium?(3plank) and a log(4plank).

It starts as sapling-->then wait a while and turns to tiny and turns dirt block underneath to rootblock, moar time and tree grows to small and adds tiny on top. Tree now 2 blocks high. Then grows to medium and has small and tiny on top. Tree now 3 blocks. Then grows to log and moves other up. now 4 block. This point it checks can roots grow to 3x3, if can then it grows as logs keeping those smaller upmost and maybe groving praches at top most logs to, say like 5 logs tall. Tree now 8 blocks. This point it checks "rootblock" can it grow down and if can, grow 5 logs slowly one by one. Tree now 13 blocks tall. Again root check if it can go deeper, continue growth. At maybe 30blocks tall it "rootchecks" 5x5 or maybe 7x7 to root and if can it could turn to a 2x2 trunk. and keeping that every 5 logs up, one root down. maybe at 60 blocks high tree turns to 3x3 logs? This is quite long post but remeber all that normal IRL tree grow atleast 20 years before cutting and those tree are hardly 20-30 meters high... i suggest too that 5 block growth to 1 or 2 minecraft months wuold be reasonable?

EDIT: and i dont mean every tree type to grow 2x2 or 3x3, maybe redwood forest someday, 200 block tall,3x3 IT WOULD BE AWESOME

Edit2: maybe 1 block growth to 1 minecraft week???

If I may comment that a roots block would be interesting. It would provide the ability to make early underground shelters under large trees, and create a possibility to have trees "fall"- essentially, when the tree is unstable for some reason, most likely because the roots have been cut out a bit, then the tree might have a chance to fall down in some way. Possibly turn into logs? This could also be expanded so that trees would fall over in windstorms, too.

Suppose that the trees have different growthstages and an increased amount of time for it to actually grow up then i have another suggestion!

make it no longer possible to store sapplings and/or plants in chests!

I mean, wouldn't that make sense? yeah! take this living and breathing plant that is dependant on light to survive and stuff it into a box! that'll be healthy for it!

Instead, just like logs make most plants that are still very much alive impossible to store in chests and instead make the player put them in ceramic pots! don't want the plant to fully grow? put him indoors, want him to grow into a fullsized tree? wait until he reaches that certain stage where his pot can no longer support him (let the player check this through some means) and then replant it in soil.

More thoughts into this idea anyone?

Trees falling by not having enough roots was in my mind too, it would be cool too see fallen trunks. And because logs can be placed sideways now, i think its possible ,not easy task.

Edit: ive seen some mods that explosions turn blocks to entities and then fly like real, on landing chancing them back to blocks. Maybe this could be used to topple tree???

Trees falling by not having enough roots was in my mind too, it would be cool too see fallen trunks. And because logs can be placed sideways now, i think its possible ,not easy task.

Edit: ive seen some mods that explosions turn blocks to entities and then fly like real, on landing chancing them back to blocks. Maybe this could be used to topple tree???

Of course this can be used! And it would be a good feature!

Hmm, I would like to see tree felling be actual felling. I would also like shrapnel physics applied to explosions. buut, thats a ways off without some mod compilation, something that is a problem to organize.

Hmm, I would like to see tree felling be actual felling. I would also like shrapnel physics applied to explosions. buut, thats a ways off without some mod compilation, something that is a problem to organize.

and I would like to be able to plug the game into a port on the back of my head and play it in virtual reality.

on the more practical side of things, tree felling is possible, just as player built ships are possible, theoretically(two things I think would make this game about perfect in my eyes).

I think that perhaps this would work if they also made it so fallen saplings will plant themselves instead of disappearing. This way would prevent servers from becoming devoid of trees.

As for the growth rate, it should depend on the tree. Generally though, it should go from sapling to thin tree in about a week, to normal short tree in maybe another week, then grow consistently one block higher every couple weeks or so until it hits that tree's limit. For trees like the sequoia, the growth rater after going to the normal tree stage would be very slow, and eventually after 1000 years or so it would finally turn into a 4x4 tall Sequoia.

I think that perhaps this would work if they also made it so fallen saplings will plant themselves instead of disappearing. This way would prevent servers from becoming devoid of trees.

This would work on vanilla because you cut down the tree and saplings happen after you walk away. On TFC if you've gone through the pain of deleafing a tree for those saplings, you won't be walking away from them.