Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Zandorum

The Hoe

18 posts in this topic

Ok so I saw the Hoes Modes on the changelog and I have to say... Eww. Not only do I not like it but I think its pretty OP. So I suggest that its Toggleable for both Singleplayer and Servers. Please take this into Consideration.

I'll have to look over the changelog, but if its unreleased, this belongs in discussion NOT suggestions.

Alright, looked at the changelog(must have updated in the last 2 hours)

soo, thoughts:

This indeed needs to be moved to discussion as the mod has not released that version yet.

Colour code should be accompanied by a visual cue such as a separate texture. this is so people with colour efficiencies are able to use the feature.

Nutrients may need to be a partially hidden value. The reasoning is that even as a skilled farmer you cant tell weather or not a soil is perfect. you must go though the scientific process to know for sure. there is also taking into account what type of plant you plan on using... heh. However, in the defense of the unreleased product, I have yet to try this in game so let us test it THEN argue it.

oh and last thing: Love the idea of an extra HUD icon. visual cues and out moding text cues ftw

oh and last thing: Love the idea of an extra HUD icon. visual cues and out moding text cues ftw

Second this. Will never have to go through a "cycle" of mode changes to double check what my Chisel etc. is doing.

The self toggle works great: you don't use the feature that offends you, and the info won't work it's way onto your computer screen. Since the benefit to using the feature isn't so groundbreaking as to make it impossible to be better than your neighbors in SMP, the self toggle would seem the best method, requiring no additional coding, time, or effort on the parts of the people working on other features as well.

I have heavy OCD. I cant just refuse to use it. Back when I used to use other mods if one mod had the same ore as the other one ill pick which one I want more and forget about the other mod. Basically Im not upgrading unless we get this feature.

Side note: If it wasn't color coded and was a popup bubble instead or atleast something prettier I would be less likely to hate the feature so much.

I typed this on an Android.

well, unfortunately a mod isnt going to be made especially to the needs of one person, and you arent forced to use it either, but if it were simple enough to be done, there COULD be a toggle function, but it'd just remove the use of the tool, so i cannot fathom why you want to do that, besides disliking the GUI

Thoughts on the hoe features:

Water - This isn't OP. It's basically the same as counting the distance from water except it takes some minor guesswork out of certain situations.

Harvest - This isn't OP. Everyone knows when wheat is ready for harvest, except maybe if you just installed a new texture pack. However, TFC has a larger variety of crops and so Bioxx has decided that it is unfair to expect the player to memorize the finished states of every crop.

Nutrients - This...might be a little OP. Skilled farmers are somewhat capable of examining soil and determining if it is suitable for certain crops, obviously it is a very rough estimate. However, in order to get specific readings like that of the hoe's feature would require some specialized equipment. I hadn't actually thought about any of this until I started writing this post, but now that I have given it some thought, the precision of the readings does not seem to fit into TFC (looking at you, pro-pick). Perhaps an alternative method which could help to bring this feature back into balance would be to display 3 colored stripes, one for each crop type, but instead of nutrient levels being displayed via height it would be displayed via color saturation. This would introduce a bit more guesswork into the use of this feature. If that still seems to break the game then perhaps you would rather have a simple yes-no for each crop type as to whether or not that soil is suitable for that type.

Nutrients

This might be OP, but it's the one that I like the most. Bioxx here made a very good work!

you're a lucky duck that Bioxx doesn't visit these forums as often. He generally doesn't like people saying "eww" about the things he designs.

you're a lucky duck that Bioxx doesn't visit these forums as often. He generally doesn't like people saying "eww" about the things he designs.

Are you referring to me? Because I don't know what you mean with eww. Expression of disgust or something like "Eww yeah I like this!" ?

Are you referring to me? Because I don't know what you mean with eww. Expression of disgust or something like "Eww yeah I like this!" ?

pro tip: he was talking about the OP.

pro tip: he was talking about the OP.

Ok, better now. Just the odea of dunk saying soemthing similar to me...I would be not that happy.

It just makes farming too easy, atleast in my eyes as well as the way its done (hover colors) is well : ugly. TFC has always looked beautiful to me and the hover colors are just... not. I honestly feel like this doesnt fit TFC.

I read "Horses preview" instead of "Hoes preview" and I was all like OMFBBQ MUST CHECK THE CHANGE LOG NOW!

Then I :('d

I really like the colors of the nutrients and how they're showed. I don't mind if others dislike it or disapprove because I'm only saying my idea of this.

I agree this system was much better than I was expecting, I thought it was just going to be displayed in the corner of the screen as 3 flat coloured bars, and I'm not really opposed to this method in general, you still have to learn which nutrients are used by which crops(which I think could be based on seed in the future, if it isn't already, I've tried to avoid learning about it from outside).

Also: game is still beta, even the propick and bloomery changed over time, both older features. There's always a chance that the hoe will tell less information. In the end though even if it does tell you the exact nutrient type, you are still required to have the knowledge of what that means for growing your crops and if you should plant a specific type of crop there or not. If it was less specific than this, then the only way to plant any type of plant with any level of success would be to mass plant it and hope that at least 50% of the time you planted the things on the right blocks. At least till fertilizer comes out anyways.

Love the ability of the hoe, I certainly wouldn't mind if another tool was added to actually examine the tool but by that point it becomes unnecessary. I'm happy with it, the only other option is using a color-scale in the soil to tell nutrition level but lets be honest here people are far too dumb and stupid to understand that usually. Anyway we could do both Dunk or is that to much coding? (Once more I'm happy with what we got but obviously others aren't)