Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
weylin

Saving block damage

42 posts in this topic

here is the issue: if this is implemented, how do you keep a server looking nice? I feel like this idea is great, but servers will have the issue where greifers then just run around and tap every block making ti look ugly, doing far more damage then before because the staff/members must then manually go behind them and clean up the mess as opposed to just repairing a section of a wall.

perhaps for aesthetics, the cracks are temp and stay for a number of seconds around a localized player. the mined time is saved and allows the user to mine two or more blocks practically at once.

I would like to ask you to, in real life, take an axe and "accidentaly" hit the wall with it. Then come here and tell me your walls shouldn't get cracked.

I would like to see you, in real life, take a pickaxe, and hit the wall until nothing left, then show me the block of wall you got.

This cracks are just the progress of removal, and should disappear after a few seconds, and not stay as a permanent crack.

here is the issue: if this is implemented, how do you keep a server looking nice?

With a customizable limit of broken blocks that the admin can set. IE if there's a big server that could have griefers, set the number to 15. If it's a small server that maybe is in LAN too, then set it to 50.

guys, why not just use a TEMPORARY damaged state, after which the blocks would begin healing, which would take up to 1 full minute, with the healing taking 30 seconds. this way, damage done mid work is saved for a short while while you deal with that skeleton harming you, but you dont get to break the world.

guys, why not just use a TEMPORARY damaged state, after which the blocks would begin healing, which would take up to 1 full minute, with the healing taking 30 seconds. this way, damage done mid work is saved for a short while while you deal with that skeleton harming you, but you dont get to break the world.

But I want to make something similar to this:

What I think during a minecraft day, a common minecraft day:

Yeeeeeeehhh! I found gold!!! But I can't mine it all now...oh well, I start mining here and I will continue tomorrow from where I ended today...here, from this rock!

*wolf starts mining* This rock is half broken now...but I'm tired now and it's better if I go to sleep.

[The next morning...]

Ah! What a good day today! I should end mining that rock... *Wolf starts walking with a pickaxe* Finally I arrived in the deepest place of my mine! And now let's break that rock! Oh here it is... *Wolf grabs pickaxe...*

NOW IF THE BLOCKS REGENERATE AFTER TIME, GO TO READ NUMBER 1, ELSE GO TO READ NUMBER 2.

1 :( ) WHAT? Dafuq is happened here? A new rock? Why is there a new rock?... *And wolf keeps asking questions for other 2 hours*

2 :lol: )Well, the rock is where it was yesterday. Cool, a good feature, maybe one of the best...*Wolf starts mining* I found...logs?!?!? *ID error...fixed* I found gold!!!

*And this way wolf became rich...*

i dont mean regenerate as have the mined blocks regenerate, but only the damaged state of a block being reverted into a normal normal block

I think this could lead to too many problems.

If your finger accidentally twitches, in real life, it isn't going to leave a crack in your wall. It's a lot harder to accidentally swing an axe with force, then it is for your finger to accidentally twitch.

In real life you can't mine blocks weighing tons upon tons by simply pressing your finger either. See the logic?

Also Dunk, I think that many of our suggestions here went over the board.

Right now after revisiting the topic I think only one block should have it's state saved, just to add to the belivability of practically all aspects of the game.

If you start cutting a tree, and accidentally aim your cursor beyond the edge of the block, you don't have to start over, but if you start cutting/digging/mining another block the previously nearly-cut block will return to normal value.

It's a simple solution that solves a minor, and yet quite important matter.

In real life you can't mine blocks weighing tons upon tons by simply pressing your finger either. See the logic?

Also Dunk, I think that many of our suggestions here went over the board.

Right now after revisiting the topic I think only one block should have it's state saved, just to add to the belivability of practically all aspects of the game.

If you start cutting a tree, and accidentally aim your cursor beyond the edge of the block, you don't have to start over, but if you start cutting/digging/mining another block the previously nearly-cut block will return to normal value.

It's a simple solution that solves a minor, and yet quite important matter.

you are not a developer. If I say this is bad, it is bad.

you are not a developer. If I say this is bad, it is bad.

Unless proven wrong by another developer. However, Bioxx rarely comes to the forums, and there are no other "developers" (unless Avi can be called like that?), so yeah... your word is pretty much the final :

I didn't say that I was a developer and you didn't say that it was bad.

You said that you thought that it could lead to too many problems, but...

Ok.

Posted Image

I like this suggestion. Too bad it already got shot down.

Also, I tried multimine and when I was mining stone, I noticed I didn't get any rocks. I mined a hundred or so blocks so it can't possibly be the fact that I was just unlucky :P

I like this suggestion. Too bad it already got shot down.

Also, I tried multimine and when I was mining stone, I noticed I didn't get any rocks. I mined a hundred or so blocks so it can't possibly be the fact that I was just unlucky :P

Probably Multimine is incompatible in terms of gameplay at the moment, since the modification seems to bug the non-vanilla blocks.

P.S. - How is the Nessaja Server going, Mister Warfight67? Have not seen you in a while.

In real life you can't mine blocks weighing tons upon tons by simply pressing your finger either.

Exactly, but luckily the suggestion was for a game, where you can.

Am I the only one who thinks we shouldn't move game around griefers and just give players decent ways to self police and repair damage caused?

Am I the only one who thinks we shouldn't move game around griefers and just give players decent ways to self police and repair damage caused?

probably.

as a general point though, I usually try to consider all sides of an argument before I make a decision, so it's not very likely that someone will be able to change my mind.

will you guys at least explain what the problem with my idea is? you can temporarily damage a block but it will regenerate within the minute, sounds good in my head, perhaps im not bringing the idea correctly?