Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
zoran

Light Sources - Oil Press, Torches, Lye, Wax (and Lanterns soon!)

31 posts in this topic

There have, of course, been topics about lanterns, oils, candles, etc.

( http://terrafirmacra...age__p__3982121 http://terrafirmacra.../page__p__27383 http://terrafirmacra...lighting-ideas/ )

In this topic however, I would like to cover how to get such items, in more detail.

The first thing you will need to do is craft a press, and a press roller

The press roller could be crafted like so:

Posted Image

and the press itself like so:

Posted Image

When you place the press, it would be shaped similarly to an anvil, and could have the sprites above as it's texture (sides, front, top, back). The recipe could be changed to have raw stone or stone bricks.

This is based off of an ancient oil press (http://upload.wikime...y.Bodrum042.jpg)

Now, for the use of the press. The press would function similarly to the quern:

Posted Image

You place your item to make oil with in the left slot, press roller in the top right slot and a bucket in the bottom right slot. Exiting the GUI and right clicking would activate it.

These plants are chosen based on real world uses for plant oil, and what plants can make them. (http://en.wikipedia...._vegetable_oils)

From here, it is up to the developers to choose what happens to prevent balance issues. It would make sense that it would take many bunches of olives to fill a bucket, but perhaps only 3 or 4 cobs of maize. The developers can also choose to keep it simple and have all 4 of the plants make a generic "plant oil" or have each one make a different type. It is unlikely that there would be much difference between them.

Next, you should place the oil in bottles to keep it fresh (and to store it easily):

Posted Image

Now, I am thinking that oil should be your main source of light, but of course it takes some time to get a setup where you can make such oil. I think a good compromise is to have a very early game grass torch, crafted like so:

Posted Image

This would be lit in a firepit or forge, like the torches already in the mod. However, I think that after say, 1 or 2 hours ingame time [revised time: 12 ingame hours], your torch would burn out and you would be left without light. You couldn't relight your torch, but it would leave a sort of burnt down stick so you could see where you had placed torches before. This grass torch would also give out a level 10 light, but because of mob protection (and eventually mobs being moved underground) the light level wouldn't be too much of a hassle. You could get this grass from punching long grass.

(The grass sprite was found in the TFC mod folder, I did not draw it.)

Once you get your hands on some oil, you can craft a higher level cloth torch:

Posted Image

This would be lit the same as the grass torch, and crafted with cloth. I am unsure how cloth would be obtained (likely sheep) but since the sprite was found in the TFC folder (again I did not draw it) I assume the developers have some plans for it. Anyways, this torch would burn for 4-5 hours ingame time [revised time: 24 ingame hours] and would give off 12 light levels, making it superior to the grass torch but still not as good as the torches we have now. They would also burn away similarly to the grass torches.

Before you get straight to making a lantern, there is another light source I have to talk about, candles. To make a candle, you first need to get yourself some hardwood ash. For simplicity's sake, it could be any wood ash. Burning a log would produce ash:

Posted Image

I think between 2-3 ash items is a good amount per log, and softwood logs could give less than hardwood.

You then take this ash, and mix it with water:

Posted Image

Voila! You have yourself some basic lye. Oil and wax are very similar, and lye was used traditionally to separate triacylglicerides from oils to make them wax.

Just add some oil to your lye:

Posted Image

And you've got some wax candles! Of course, you could add a step between that where you need to mold the wax into a candle shape and add the wick, but that is up to the developers as well.

Now, candles themselves have a major benefit. They could last anywhere between 24 and 48 ingame hours [revised time: 6 ingame days, or 12 ingame days], and would give off 12 light levels. These would be more useful as a stationary light, and if being able to walk with a light source is ever added, I do not think you should be able to walk with these. Maybe if you crafted a small plate to go under it, but with just a candle.

(Currently, this topic is quite rough. I haven't edited it fully but I would like to post it before I start on making lanterns, to see what people think. Please excuse an grammatical errors, and if you have any suggestions let me know and I'll add them to this post!) :)

I like the fact that you included pics. Very well thought out. Like logs, i think beef should give off a byproduct also, suet... For Tallow... Used in candle making, soap, lubricants, etc...

I am not sure if mobile lighting will ever be implimented, though i know there are mods that have mobile lighting, so i am not sure how hard it would be.

I also like the idea of street lamps!

I like the fact that you included pics. Very well thought out. Like logs, i think beef should give off a byproduct also, suet... For Tallow... Used in candle making, soap, lubricants, etc...

I was thinking about adding tallow into my post but I decided that mine would be a little more plant oriented. I may add that later.

yo, theres already a thread on this, although the pictures are rather nice

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/1586-lamps-candles-and-torches-oh-my-new-lighting-ideas/

"Posted Today, 06:41 PM

There have, of course, been topics about lanterns, oils, candles, etc.

( http://terrafirmacra...age__p__3982121 http://terrafirmacra.../page__p__27383 http://terrafirmacra...lighting-ideas/ )

In this topic however, I would like to cover how to get such items, in more detail."

Yea he knows. He wanted to cover how to get such items, in more detail.... On this thread... I think.

http://terrafirmacra...lighting-ideas/

Yes, I realize this but yours doesn't really explain how to get it some of the things I covered, and I figured a plant oil oriented oil system was different enough to not just post on your thread. I also kind of drew up everything before I searched, which admittedly was not a good idea at all. I also have a few other things to add; clay lanterns or stone lanterns [a bowl with oil, yes they did exist] and are somewhat different from metal lanterns, oils for cooking, I was thinking about covering how bees and beehives would work, that sort of thing. Less about the fact that they could exist and more on how they would be implemented, and of course possible textures.

I like this, and in this case I think a new thread makes sense. So no "lurk moar"s from this guy. :)

Anyways, I like the idea in general, I just have a few things to say.

- Maybe we could have a step between grass torches and oil torches, not sure what, but 1-2 hours in-game is really, really short. And you would be using grass torches for at least a few months in-game! I understand that an irl grass torch would last that long, but for the sake of fun and not tedium could we buff it a little for the game?

-Why is that oil green? Most plant oil is either clear or a light amber (olive oil is best described as a pale yellow/amber, and I would know, I'm greek.). So yeah, maybe we shouldn't use green for oil, at least not for olive oil.

- There is no question there should be at least one more step in candle making if not more. The way you have it now is just too damn easy.

Nice job on this, I'm interested in seeing how you expand upon it.

- Maybe we could have a step between grass torches and oil torches, not sure what, but 1-2 hours in-game is really, really short. And you would be using grass torches for at least a few months in-game! I understand that an irl grass torch would last that long, but for the sake of fun and not tedium could we buff it a little for the game?

This is why I like to discuss balance, and of course 1-2 is quite short, some 2 minutes I think? I agree after thinking for a bit, perhaps 10 ingame hours would suit it better? I could scale all the other times and see how that looks...

-Why is that oil green? Most plant oil is either clear or a light amber (olive oil is best described as a pale yellow, and I would know, I'm greek.). So yeah, maybe we shouldn't use green for oil, at least not for olive oil.

I was going off of a single image from wikipedia, so forgive me: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Italian_olive_oil_2007.jpg

And of course this is not going to be the actual art if it were to be implemented, as I am no professional pixel artist.

- There is no question there should be at least one more step in candle making if not more. The way you have it now is just too damn easy.

I was thinking that once you have added the oil to the lye, you could bake that in a firepit or anvil, as that is how it is done in real life, but the bucket was wooden. Any suggestions?

Nice job on this, I'm interested in seeing how you expand upon it.

Thank you! :)

I was thinking that once you have added the oil to the lye, you could bake that in a firepit or anvil, as that is how it is done in real life, but the bucket was wooden. Any suggestions?

It could be poured into a mold (same as used in metallurgy) to then be baked in a forge, that seems believable to me.

Could we maybe use the Quern for this, instead of making the press thought?

My original thought was to have the quern make a "plant mush" and then you would press that, I figured that was a little tedious. The main reason I thought of a press block is for the bucket to collect the oil afterwards, as I'm not totally sure how difficult that would be to add to the functionality of the quern. And I figured that pressing was different enough to have it's own block, as there are other things that could be pressed in the future... (Pressing wine, which of course is different from this press but still falls under "Pressing", and some other things).

True. If brewerages were to be implemented, we would need some sort of press to make wine out of grapes ;d

Thumbs thumbs everywhere.

I like this. Of course I have to do my own independent investigation of the techniques used here (part of my process), but this couldn't have been posted at a better time. Better light sources is something that I've been meaning to get to soonish.

Well thought out posts like this are what get my attention. Including pictures shows that you took the time to properly think about each aspect. Of course posting pictures doesn't mean that I'll like the idea, but it sure can't hurt.

well Halleluja :)

off to liking :P

Heh, thank you! I've been meaning to get to the second part of this post, I've got a few things on my whiteboard but so far nothing worth posting. As soon as I get to it there should be a few more ideas up here... :)

I like this. Of course I have to do my own independent investigation of the techniques used here (part of my process), but this couldn't have been posted at a better time. Better light sources is something that I've been meaning to get to soonish.

Well thought out posts like this are what get my attention. Including pictures shows that you took the time to properly think about each aspect. Of course posting pictures doesn't mean that I'll like the idea, but it sure can't hurt.

"Then Bioxx said, "Let there be light," and there was light. Well, there already was light, but he just made it better."

Glad to see this is something you are going to be working on, can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

(Before religion becomes an unwanted topic here: The quote is from the bible, yes. Does that mean I'm religious or promoting Christianity in any way? No, absolutely not, it is simply a joke. Please don't turn this into a religious discussion, we all know how that ends.)

you could change the manner in which light is dispersed too, if you have a lantern with a candle in it, it shines everywhere, but if you have a bulls-eye lantern (completely shut besides 1 hole) it'd focus all the light in that direction, which would be more useful in a long mineshaft :D also mobs SHOULD become light-sensitive as in, once their below the earth, if they see a light from a lantern, they get drawn to it (zombies, skeletons) or run away from it (animals)

you could change the manner in which light is dispersed too, if you have a lantern with a candle in it, it shines everywhere, but if you have a bulls-eye lantern (completely shut besides 1 hole) it'd focus all the light in that direction, which would be more useful in a long mineshaft :D

._. That's already coming in some eventual vanilla update... just saying.

Kinda on topic question... (Ok, barely on topic.)

Is it possible for TFC to fix that really, really, really annoying dark shadows bug? I know this is an issue with VMC and not TFC, but if this could be done I would be eternally grateful.

Here's a few pictures to show what I'm talking about

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(I understand that this likely requires editing base classes, and I understand why that won't happen, I'm just kinda hoping that there is some way that new code can fix it... :P. I know nothing about coding, so I have no concept of the difficulty or possibility of what I just asked, but it was worth a shot, right?)

If this isn't possible (or the devs just don't want to do it), does anyone know if there is a mod compatible with TFC that does this, it doesn't have to do only this, but this bug bugs (get it?), a lot.

Why not incorporate a tree tap system as well to harvest creasol from pine, seqoia, ect. and syrip from maples.

Why not incorporate a tree tap system as well to harvest creasol from pine, seqoia, ect. and syrip from maples.

This could possibly a good idea. But, work on it a little more, put some work into it, (maybe even some pictures) and make your own topic on it.

And, seeing as no one has done it yet ( :P),

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS, Doncody!

tree tapping was done (in its most efficient way) by cutting v's in a tree's stem, with several centimeters of space in between, and drain the sap from that (read it somewhere, cant figure out the actual techniques name)

Kinda on topic question... (Ok, barely on topic.)

Is it possible for TFC to fix that really, really, really annoying dark shadows bug? I know this is an issue with VMC and not TFC, but if this could be done I would be eternally grateful.

Here's a few pictures to show what I'm talking about

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(I understand that this likely requires editing base classes, and I understand why that won't happen, I'm just kinda hoping that there is some way that new code can fix it... :P. I know nothing about coding, so I have no concept of the difficulty or possibility of what I just asked, but it was worth a shot, right?)

If this isn't possible (or the devs just don't want to do it), does anyone know if there is a mod compatible with TFC that does this, it doesn't have to do only this, but this bug bugs (get it?), a lot.

That's supposed to be fixed in the next few vanilla updates.

That's supposed to be fixed in the next few vanilla updates.

They said they were going to fix it for 1.4, and that didn't happen. Mojang needs to learn not to make promises they can't keep :angry: