Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Yarp

Combining Small Ores (& Nuggets) into Standard Ones

26 posts in this topic

Hello,

it would be nice to allow combining four small ores into crafting grid to get one standard size ore piece in 76 build. This would:

• solve the "it uses too many charcoal in bloomery to smelt small ores/nuggets" problem
  • and also slightly help with storing small ores.
Thanks for considering this proposal :)

you know... I could definitely see this happening. Wouldn't even need to add too many crafting recipes either...

The problem is that small ores just means less ore in slightly less rock. This means that a single small ore has just about the same thermal capacity as a normal one meaning you still need as much fuel. Of course nobody in their right mind heats these ores without crushing them up first and then at least slightly separating the product.

The problem is that small ores just means less ore in slightly less rock. This means that a single small ore has just about the same thermal capacity as a normal one meaning you still need as much fuel. Of course nobody in their right mind heats these ores without crushing them up first and then at least slightly separating the product.

Interesting point of view, but I doubt it is intended such way. Consider nuggets: Does "small nugget" mean "slightly smaller piece of pure metal containing much less pure metal"?

I never had enough ore nuggets to try this, but isn't it more believable if you could throw much more ore nuggets into a bloomery then normal ore peaces.

And imho, i would only allow smelting ore nuggets in a fire pit. Makes much more sense to me.

I believe that there was some post from either dunk or bioxx himself about this, i think it was that ore nuggets and small ores are supposed to be mostly trash, and little ore, as opposed to normal chunks of ore having a higher percentage of metal in them.

Not sure though...

Actually, a normal size ore takes up 1 meter-cubed block, the same size as a block of cobble.

A small ore takes up a rock on the ground.

As of build 76, 4 rocks make 1 cobble block, and breaking it with a pick yields 4 rocks back. That would mean that the amount of space taken up by a small ore is likely about 1/4 the space of a regular ore

Actually, a normal size ore takes up 1 meter-cubed block, the same size as a block of cobble.

A small ore takes up a rock on the ground.

As of build 76, 4 rocks make 1 cobble block, and breaking it with a pick yields 4 rocks back. That would mean that the amount of space taken up by a small ore is likely about 1/4 the space of a regular ore

It makes more sense to me to think that a lot of that 1/^3 is just stone you mine away to get at the ore. The ore density in surface rocks also makes sense to be lower than that of mined ore.

It makes more sense to me to think that a lot of that 1/^3 is just stone you mine away to get at the ore. The ore density in surface rocks also makes sense to be lower than that of mined ore.

Well let's look at this from a technical standpoint. How many kg of metal does an ore produce, and how many does a small ore produce?

Well let's look at this from a technical standpoint. How many kg of metal does an ore produce, and how many does a small ore produce?

The answer to that varies greatly not just by ore type, but between different deposits of the same ore, the methods used to smelt the ore, and the skill of the blacksmith and his apprentices. Unlike today's modern metal mills, blacksmithing in the middle-ages was more art than science.

However, a good rule of thumb for iron, for instance, was about 8kg of ore to 1kg of finished iron.

The answer to that varies greatly not just by ore type, but between different deposits of the same ore, the methods used to smelt the ore, and the skill of the blacksmith and his apprentices. Unlike today's modern metal mills, blacksmithing in the middle-ages was more art than science.

However, a good rule of thumb for iron, for instance, was about 8kg of ore to 1kg of finished iron.

...In the game. The game.

I'm not talking about RL ore deposits

...In the game. The game.

I'm not talking about RL ore d6eposits

Irl the general idea of rocks leading to ore makes no sense. Rocks are deposited on plains by rivers when they flood. Generally they just stay in the river until eventually the current is weak enough to not make the rocks move any further. These rocks get transported from upriver where they were orifinally mountains. Surface rocks should therefore in no way be an indicator of ores.

Irl the general idea of rocks leading to ore makes no sense. Rocks are deposited on plains by rivers when they flood. Generally they just stay in the river until eventually the current is weak enough to not make the rocks move any further. These rocks get transported from upriver where they were orifinally mountains. Surface rocks should therefore in no way be an indicator of ores.

So, when I said that I wasn't talking about RL, you obviously took that to mean that I was talking about RL.

...I'm not.

So, when I said that I wasn't talking about RL, you obviously took that to mean that I was talking about RL.

...I'm not.

I was supporting your point that comparing reality to this mod is silly since even the base mechanic is completely unrealistic.

either way, it seems to be a thing of believability and fun of playing. I mean without the surface ore you cannot mine without mining you cannot obtain big amounts of ore....and so on, also i think that the surface ore thing comes from the fact that metals, and the art of smithing smithing were discovered because someone picked up a piece of metal ore and found it to be quite harder than rock.

My 2 cents.

either way, it seems to be a thing of believability and fun of playing. I mean without the surface ore you cannot mine without mining you cannot obtain big amounts of ore....and so on, also i think that the surface ore thing comes from the fact that metals, and the art of smithing smithing were discovered because someone picked up a piece of metal ore and found it to be quite harder than rock.

My 2 cents.

hard

/härd/

Adjective

Solid, firm, and resistant to pressure; not easily broken, bent, or pierced.

Adverb

With a great deal of effort.

Synonyms

adjective. tough - severe - difficult - heavy - stiff - firm

adverb. heavily - hardly

Metal is not resistant to pressure and is malleable meaning it can be bent into shape.

Wrong choice of words.

Nobody actually knows how they were discovered but since gold was likely the first one to be discovered then that makes your choice of words really far off. No worries though :P

Back on topic, however.

How many small ores does it take to make a large one?

A small ore is 1/9 to 1/12 of an ingot.

A large ore is 1/3 to 1/4 of an ingot.

So that's 4 I think?

Back on topic, however.

How many small ores does it take to make a large one?

A small ore is 1/9 to 1/12 of an ingot.

A large ore is 1/3 to 1/4 of an ingot.

So that's 4 I think?

9/3=4?

That is really embarrassing. I meant 3. Minimum/minimum=3. Maximum/maximum=3.

Maximum/minimum=4.

Sorry.

It's roughly 4 small ores to a single large one. Roughly.

It's roughly 4 small ores to a single large one. Roughly.

Its so rough and varied that someone should really do research on this.

my concern is averages. If the AVERAGE conversion rate is 4 small to 1 normal, then that's the ratio you should be able to craft them in. Doesn't matter if you sometimes only get 1/24 of an ingot when you usually get 1/12, as long as you get 1/6 an equal amount of the time. All that matters is the ratio of averages

my concern is averages. If the AVERAGE conversion rate is 4 small to 1 normal, then that's the ratio you should be able to craft them in. Doesn't matter if you sometimes only get 1/24 of an ingot when you usually get 1/12, as long as you get 1/6 an equal amount of the time. All that matters is the ratio of averages

Well, are we assuming that people are melting one small ore per mold and crafting them together (and abusing the repair bonus) which averages 9, or that they're doing what they're supposed to abs melting them together, which averages 12?

I still think that there should certainly be some tradeoff for using surface ores. And this is perfectly fine a tradeoff too.

Well, are we assuming that people are melting one small ore per mold and crafting them together (and abusing the repair bonus) which averages 9, or that they're doing what they're supposed to abs melting them together, which averages 12?

Since abuses are likely to be patched out, assume they're doing as they ought