Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TomatoThief

Forge Chimney Design

12 posts in this topic

I've read the Wiki, but I want more clarification on what exactly is a valid chimney. I apologize for coming here instead of testing on my own. My playtime is very limited, and coming here assuages my addiction when I can't play.

Posted Image

Questions:

• Trap door counts as clear line of sight - does this mean I can drop a forge in the ground, and place a floating trap door above it to block rain but still function?
  • The bend must occur one block above the forge - how many blocks over can the bend travel? The diagram shows a two block bend, can it go three or more?
  • The diagram shows a vertical chimney of four blocks - is this a minimum, or can it be fewer?
  • Does the "chimney" have to be enclosed on all sides, or will the forge logic just go up and path around any block (can I just put a floating stone block over the forge?
  • Does block type matter? Can I make chimney out of dirt, thatch, or hot chocolate? I believe one of the devs said only pit kilns will set fire to blocks.

If possible, the most comprehensive answer might be in terms of forge logic, or pseudocode. If/Then = True/False

Thanks!

1. dont know havent tried

2. yes it only works with one block bend

3&4. all a foge is, is a hot pit with a path to the open sky direct or with a bend of one

5. block type dont mater

From my own experience, trap doors are treated as if they don't exist at all, which also means that they do not block the rain (even though it looks like they do). i.e. If you have a straight vertical chimney, the forge will not work during the rain even if you have a trap door on top.

Okay, so I decided to dig into the deobfuscated dev build to help grok the logic. Hopefully the devs do not mind me posting a snippet.  edit: removed code example.

The code checks to see if the forge or its nearby blocks can see the sky. It doesn't perform any fancy path-finding magic. A forge chimney is valid if:1) the forge can see the sky AND it is not raining2) an adjacent block can see the sky AND there is a block above the forge3) a block 2m away can see the sky AND there is a block above the forge AND there is a block above the adjacent block.In short, the graphic on the wiki shows the only valid options.To answer your questions:1) no2) two blocks maximum3) the chimney can be any height4) the chimney does not need to be enclosed5) block type does not matter

snip

Great comprehensive answer! Thank you!

Trap door won't block forge functioning but also won't block rain.

However, a trapdoor will block mobs from entering, so if you have a bend in your chimney to stop rain, it might still be useful to put a trapdoor up so you don't get surprise attacked when smithing.

Sorry to necro this post but I'm curious as to whether a trapdoor is still useful to keep rain out of your chimney.  Yes, I know that the trapdoor apparently doesn't technically block the rain, but it does LOOK like the rain is blocked and that's what I'm going for.  I'm about to build a chimney and I don't want to see rain coming in... but I also want my forge to function.  Anyone know if this still works?

I always offset the chimney from the forge so the rain will still come in, but it won't hit the forge block allowing for forging in the rain and to be able to see the weather.

Posted Image

I always offset the chimney from the forge so the rain will still come in, but it won't hit the forge block allowing for forging in the rain and to be able to see the weather.

Yeah, but it kinda bugs me that the rain will come in.  I know it doesn't affect anything but I'll still twitch when I see it.

Oh then in that case last I checked a vanila trapdoor works to block the rain. I wasn't for sure your first post was a little unclear. (Or maybe I just need to sleep more. o_O)

Edited by Powerman913717

Sorry to necro this post but I'm curious as to whether a trapdoor is still useful to keep rain out of your chimney.  Yes, I know that the trapdoor apparently doesn't technically block the rain, but it does LOOK like the rain is blocked and that's what I'm going for.  I'm about to build a chimney and I don't want to see rain coming in... but I also want my forge to function.  Anyone know if this still works?

If you do an offset chimney, you can put a trapdoor on top of the offset chimney to block the rain particles from falling in, but the chimney will still be valid. You have to do an offset chimney if you want to use the trapdoor though, if you put the trapdoor directly above the forge block it will stop the rain particles from showing, but it won't stop the rain from making it so your forge doesn't work.

Personally I put a barrel under the chimney to collect rain water.. This way I can cool ingots on the spot.