Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

Add Slabs and Stairs as a Creative Block edited

29 posts in this topic

Add Slabs and Stairs as a Creative Block

My idea would be to Have the most common blocks to be removable and going into inventory. Those blocks would be available in creative mode.

You should still need a chisel to create a slab or stair. But we would be able to remove and replace then.

That should work for all the blocks that we currently can use to create slabs or stairs.

So the same way I can create smooth stone and remove it and place it. I should be able to create, remove and place slabs and stairs.

By the way I did search the forum but could not find this suggestion anywhere. I was sure someone would have suggested that before.

I am not proposing the vanilla recipe. You would use the chisel the same way you have been using.

Decided to bump this tread since the main question has not been answered:

Can we have half slabs and stairs as a creative block?

Also can we have those blocs as retrievable blocks?

Again only for stairs and exactly half slabs not partial slabs.

i think this would be a great addition as building massive structures and having to chisel the stairs is very annoying and the don't make the corner stairs so wed have to chisel them one little peace at a time

I'm pretty sure wooden stairs will be craftable in version 78 79.

Sorry, major major major major derp on my part

Oh, and this was a misunderstanding, so ignore

I'm pretty sure wooden stairs will be craftable in version 78.

i think rather 79... isn't 78 the current vesion?

If said slabs and stairs turn into entity's i now finally understand why detailed blocks make my worlds lag so quickly -_-

Although i dont get why slab and stairs would have to be craftable, i kinda like the added cost of having to chisel a block to obtain a certain look.

The thing i do agree on though, is that there should be a block to represent each chisle stair/slab type, for the simple purpose of converting said blocks into the stairs/slabs upon using the chisel in that specific mode. No idea if that is codeable at all though, but it would solve the entity lag from slabs and stairs, although i have yet to get it from that my burden is more with detailed mode on any block type.

The one thing i think is important is that plank blocks should be increased in crafting cost to atleast 6 or 9 planks instead of the 4 that is now. This would bring it more in line with the alternative of using planks, and with the added cost of having to chisel id say thats quite ballanced in terms of stairs and slabs (taken that you only build the outline of the block rather then make it solid from planks).

But id rather wait to see the changes planned before starting a full out discussion on this, maybe the planned changes are really awesome and allow for more options and detailing. Cause atm im using chiseled plank blocks to cut down the plank cost and thus lag potential of certain builds (1 chisel plank block < 8/10 plank, although i dint realise they where entity's like mobs making it even more key to be able to save PC resources), im really curious as in how that will change with the mentioned changes.

Ok when I say craftable All I mean is that slabs and stairs would behave the same way as smooth stone does.

Using the chisel in smooth mode you create a block not a entity.

My Idea is to have the same happening for the stairs and slab mode, so a block would be created. A block that could be picked up and replaced.

I understand that when on slab mode the chisel removes layers, and that could cause some confusion.

Since I am no coder I have no Idea what would be worthwhile the time of the devs.

I see two options: create another mode on the chisel specific for the half slab, or make it so once you remove 4 layers it turns into a slab block.

BTW if someone can find a better wording to say all that on the title of the OP I will edit it. Thanks. 

You mean something like the old RedPower's microblocks, right? I remember there were pages of NEI full of microblocks, but you could place every single microblock and I don't think it was considered an entity.

This is a very simple misunderstanding of what the problem is. The issue with the lag is NOT that the blocks are TileEntites (Note: This is much different than an entity). All redpower microblocks are TileEntites as a matter of fact. The issue is that unlike microblocks, chiseled blocks are not static and there are far and away too many potential chiseled shapes to be able to store each potential shape in the metadata for an itemblock ala microblocks (Which is why you see them in NEI). The way in which chiseled blocks function is, there is an 8x8x8 3D grid of 1's and 0's forming the entire block. We then have to go through each point in the grid one by one and draw a small box for every single 0 that exists (0 = Has not been chiseled). This then means that there are 512 iterations for each and every detailed block. If a roof has 50 detailed blocks lets say then that means that there are 25600 semi-expensive(drawing a box isn't cheap processing wise) iterations that have to occur every single time that you update the sub-chunk that your house resides in. That said, we try to perform some optimizations and we'll certainly add more optimizations in the future but there is no 'Easy' solution like this without losing the visual fidelity that TFC users have come to expect with detailed blocks.

*snip*

Tnx that explains a lot for me, that was actually close to what i thought it would work like before i read this OP :)

Blocks being converted to a entity instead of TileEntity dint make much sense to me to begin with, but hey you never know right :P

I'd like to keep the stairs limited to chiseled features, but it might be nice to have the stair function turn them into stair blocks instead of detailed blocks, complete with turning corners and whatnot.  It would reduce the lag (hopefully) and make them a bit easier to work with.

@ Bioxx

Is there no way to have blocks chiseled to stairs and half slabs become actual stairs and half slabs? To myself it doesn't make sense to punish people for using shapes that are rendered just fine in vanilla since they already have their own blocks. Stairs and slabs (which make up the majority of what people actually use) would lag less and leave the resource intensive computing to deal with the much less frequently used shapes that people create.

I am not proposing to create blocks for every potential creation with the chisel. That would be insane.

What I am suggesting is to create blocks for the 2 most common shapes, the slab and the stairs.

Since is what most people use, I believe it would help with the lag created by TileEntities. (again I am no coder ) 

One more time I really appreciate that the creators of this mod take the time to answer our questions. It matters.

In addition to what Bioxx stated, there is another huge misunderstanding that is going on in this thread, because Djakuta started the whole thing based off of incorrect information.

In the code there are currently 3 classes for 3 blocks:

• BlockDetailed
  • BlockSlab
  • BlockStair

The first is the block that is composed of all the tiny little microblocks. The only way to create this block is to use the detailed mode of the chisel. It is all these tiny little microblocks that are causing the lag.

The second is the block that is created when using the slab mode of the chisel. The way that this block renders is completely different from BlockDetailed, and doesn't cause as much lag.

The final is the block that is created when using the stair mode of the chisel. This contains pretty much no special rendering code in it that is different from the pre-corner stair vanilla stair blocks, and therefore doesn't cause much lag either.

You can however use the chisel in detail mode on a BlockSlab or a BlockStair to turn them into a BlockDetailed. This comes in handy when you want to shave off large sections of a block before chiseling in the smaller parts.

So in short, there already are separate slab and stair blocks that do not cause as much lag as using detailed blocks. Not all chiseled blocks are considered equal, and not all of them cause the same amount of lag.

I'm pretty sure wooden stairs will be craftable in version 78.

1. The current version is 78.

2. Where did you see something that made you think that? If you are referring to my post in the other thread that talked about the removal of chiseling plank blocks, I was not talking about crafting. I was talking about placing the lumber down in the shape of a stair, like you can already do. Here's a picture if you're still confused:

Posted Image

The one thing i think is important is that plank blocks should be increased in crafting cost to atleast 6 or 9 planks instead of the 4 that is now. This would bring it more in line with the alternative of using planks, and with the added cost of having to chisel id say thats quite ballanced in terms of stairs and slabs (taken that you only build the outline of the block rather then make it solid from planks).

The recipe for a plank block has to be 4 plank items (lumber) because of the limitations of the crafting grid. Starting out you only have 4 crafting grid slots available, and you have to use those 4 slots to make plank blocks to make a crafting table to get more slots.

I'd like to keep the stairs limited to chiseled features, but it might be nice to have the stair function turn them into stair blocks instead of detailed blocks, complete with turning corners and whatnot.  It would reduce the lag (hopefully) and make them a bit easier to work with.

Stairs do turn into their own stair blocks instead of detailed blocks. Djakuta had this information wrong in the OP. The only reason they don't have corner stairs is because they were coded before vanilla added corner stairs, and haven't been updated to match vanilla's corner stair render code.

Thanks for the explanation Kittychanley.

I guess my confusion came from the fact that half slabs and stairs do not behave the same way as smooth stone. Also they are not available in creative mode.

I will edit the OP and remove the LAG issue from it.

I still wish they should be removable and replaceable same as a smooth stone.

The recipe for a plank block has to be 4 plank items (lumber) because of the limitations of the crafting grid. Starting out you only have 4 crafting grid slots available, and you have to use those 4 slots to make plank blocks to make a crafting table to get more slots.

Sudge a simple feature, yet i always keep forgetting that :unsure:

-snip-

So, long story short, are we going to be able to have retrievable stairs and slabs blocks in the future?

So, long story short, are we going to be able to have retrievable stairs and slabs blocks in the future?

Thanks for the term "retrievable" is the expression I was looking for since the start editing OP right now.

snip...

Stairs do turn into their own stair blocks instead of detailed blocks. Djakuta had this information wrong in the OP. The only reason they don't have corner stairs is because they were coded before vanilla added corner stairs, and haven't been updated to match vanilla's corner stair render code.

Very cool, I was not aware.  Any chance corner stairs could be added in as well?  I'd expect that it would be a fairly straightforward copy/paste, though I'm probably wrong...

Any one knows if the corner stairs will be added to next build?

Would having slabs and stairs as a retrievable block impact the game in a negative way?

If not why not have then?

I imaging it would be a question of just changing the object properties and behavior.

No idea how hard that would be. 

Decided to bump this tread since the main question has not been answered:

Can we have half slabs and stairs as a creative block?

Also can we have those blocs as retrievable blocks?

Again only for stairs and exactly half slabs not partial slabs.

I noticed in a creative world that world edit is unable to copy stairs or slabs.

Hey, just a thought, but... can't you make a plank block take 9 lumber, then make 4 lumber make the crafting table?

It does make the crafting table take 4 times less wood, but since it makes plank blocks take 2 1/4 time more wood I think it will work.

I have a server and I use prism for easy rollback in case of griffing.

Neither prism or Worldedit recognizes stairs or slabs since they are not in the block list.

I understand that to have those blocks available in creative would involve creating a texture and block id for each kind of wood and stone for half-slabs and stairs, but I really think is a must.

Is really an issue when we advertise that we are using Prism and have the ability to roll-back griffin but cannot do it for half-slabs or stairs.

I understand that it would be near impossible to have that capability for each possible chisel creation.

That's why we ask only for half-slabs and stairs, since they are the most commonly used.

Edited the post using the word creative.

Anyone who enjoys creating nice buildings in TFC for sure would like the ability to have those two blocks.

Hopefully is not too late to have this added to B79

This is a great idea. I really hope this is implemented. It has to be possible to do! 

Bump, but it was on your signature

Creative slab blocks would be a good idea, except there would be a lot of them. Maybe you could simply obtain a block of choice and when you hold it in your hand in creative, you can scroll and if will turn it into a slab or stair.

I think that if you break a slab or stair in survival though, it should give its constituent parts if possible (raw or polished stone: rocks, wood: lumbers, brick blocks: bricks) etc.