Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
GreenLeaf

make bushes.. unpickupable?

41 posts in this topic

Harvesting berries with shears is a big no for me, just doesn't make sense and gathering berries should definitely be part of the hunter and gatherer stage. That's the problem with vanilla Minecraft, there isn't a very low tier food that's extremely easy to get. This forces you to kill persistent animals early game which is really frustrating. The idea of restricting you from harvesting berries which aren't in season is a great idea, but when a berry bush isn't in season, the berries which were once on it, should vanish. Otherwise this could become very confusing and annoying. Placing a berry bush based on season doesn't make any sense to me and is far from believable. It'll be cool if we need to plant crops and bushes during a certain season before it's too late to plant for the year, similar to reality, but that should only be if bushes would be capable of being grown. However since they can't be grown, I don't agree with this idea because an uprooted bush should be able to be placed whenever.

I agree with you about the sheers, no need for it to pick up bushes. I think the no bush propagation was a attempt to limit and balance the berries production.We need balance, but hardworking should be recompensed.

I am no gardener, but I know enough that if you try to transplant something on the wrong season it will die. It has to do with the temperature of the soil and the internal cycle of the plant. The same apply to planting, No farmer is going to plant anything in the middle of the winter, not because there is no time before harvesting, but because the plant will not survive.

My idea is to have all fruits and berries give seeds when You use a knife on then. Also bushes can only be uprooted on a specifically season, and saplings or seeds can only be planted on the right season, otherwise they will die.

Seeds can be kept indefinitely, but saplings should have a time limit. It just makes no sense to get a sapling from a fruit tree or bush and store it for a year.

Is that believable enough for everyone?

It certainly is not easier than what we have now. So when out exploring you need some luck to find bushes and they need to be on the right season either for berries picking  or for uprooting.

If it looks like too much work I would settle for just the seeds system, after all sapling is a very high skill farming Technic even in real life, but almost anyone is capable of planting a seed. 

If it looks like too much work I would settle for just the seeds system, after all sapling is a very high skill farming Technic even in real life, but almost anyone is capable of planting a seed.

I feel I have to disagree on this one: If planting saplings required such a high skill in farming, what about trees? You want to plant an acorn into the soil and wait a year until a little sapling comes out? You can't just say something like that without planning to make this change for the whole game, including trees. Consistancy!You are right that anyone could put a seed into some soil, but if something sprouts out of it is another matter entirely. I mean, this also needs skill and primarily: knowledge.

Am i really the only one around here that don't want to be able to relocate bushes to my garden? i honestly don't care what you can do in real life. the core point of the OP is to emphasize on foraging in the wilderness! not in the safety of your enclosed fortress.

berries really isn't that important that you HAVE to be able to take bushes with you as you go. you won't starve from berry deprivation as there's plenty of fruit to go around all over the place.

Needing a certain amount of skill to dig up bushes, now i like that! it sounds like a simple solution and makes it only an early game limitation.

seeds and shears just complicates it all.

I guess one problem that nobody mentioned yet, is the new food system: if you need that one particular berry for your perfect tasty meal, I'm sure you'd have this one conveniently in your courtyard rather than trekking thousands of blocks to attain it every season.

High skill for relocating bushes? Well, why not? That would allow what I mentioned above later, when your cooking skill assumingly is high enough to even know which your favorite fruit actually is, and on the other hand would that still work fine for gathering on the run while in the early ages :)

I guess one problem that nobody mentioned yet, is the new food system: if you need that one particular berry for your perfect tasty meal, I'm sure you'd have this one conveniently in your courtyard rather than trekking thousands of blocks to attain it every season.High skill for relocating bushes? Well, why not? That would allow what I mentioned above later, when your cooking skill assumingly is high enough to even know which your favorite fruit actually is, and on the other hand would that still work fine for gathering on the run while in the early ages :)

Think about it though.

Doesn't that sound like an absolute adventure? something that you wish to spend days in game to reach?

the point of TFC isn't to make things convenient! (and i really don't think this would completely ruin the game for anyone)

I mean it when i say i don't want the convenience of having everything at one place.

Careful, the same "adventure" every year quickly becomes tedium.

One point of having achieved something is a reward of some kind, and convenience is one kind of it. If a skill is bound to relocating bushes, that convenience would be a nice reward for it, something you have had to work for.

once every year couldn't possibly become tedious.

think of it more like a tradition! ;)

i agree with the end reward though! with time and work you should be rewarded with convenience.

Ok so these are my solutions to the concept, each idea is separate from the other.

IDEA #1: Complete Agriculture Restriction For Stone Age

• Remove stone shovels
  • Remove stone hoes.
  • Bushes would be incapable of being picked up unless dug up with a shovel.

IDEA #2: Replanting Bush Probability

• Based on your agriculture skill, determines the probability that your replanted bush will survive after being placed.

IDEA #3: Skill Restriction

• You would not be able to plant anything unless you have the appropriate skill level in agriculture.
  • Agriculture will increase by picking wild crops, fruit trees, and bushes from berries (I assume this is how it already works).

Yes I like the idea of having us be forced to use a shovel to dig up a bush. :)

you should probably gain knowledge from failure too, at the loss of the seed or plant of course.

other than that i like the third option the most.

Think about it though.Doesn't that sound like an absolute adventure? something that you wish to spend days in game to reach?the point of TFC isn't to make things convenient! (and i really don't think this would completely ruin the game for anyone)I mean it when i say i don't want the convenience of having everything at one place.

---------------------------------------------------------------If you don't like that they can be replanted then choose to not do it in your gameplay. Others collecting them does not hurt you. AFAIK they can regenerate, so not even a huge issue for you in SMP as it would only really be one season before you progressed out of early game. I love adventuring in MC and especially in TFC. I live fairly north. I have a farm further south I trek to 3 times a year. I have a couple of charcoal outposts I use and I trek a good distance for the rock salt area to get more fertilizer and stop at my graphite mine along the way. There are quite a few desired trees I'm still missing. There is also black spots on my map that bug me. I not only have a need to, but a love of wandering. I don't need to be forced by another game mechanic. Even if fortress style was my style of choice it is just that my choice. If I like to conquer and achieve a certain level of safe self-sufficiency I should be able to do that, especially if the choices I make in no way impinge on other players choices.My tastes in-game favour a few berry types. Being forced to zigzag over the same territory 3 times a year to get the berries would not only be annoying, but would take up time I'd rather spend doing other things. Even in SMP no player could expect enough berries in their area to support a decent trade system.Edit Oh and they are great for decor. There are no leaf blocks so a huge number of players use them by buildings for ascetic reasons.

I actually want to increase stone age gameplay, not remove things from it. In real life agriculture came before metal working. Definitions apart anyone will agree that the closest something resembles real life the more believable it is.

In a totally Made up statistic, I could say that 90 percent of minecraft players have build or try to build a castle or fortress or at least a nice house. Minecraft is a game about acquiring blocks and using then to build things.

How hard is it to obtain such blocks depends on the mods you are using. Most players want to have berries on their bases even if is totally unnecessary. 

I wish the food system had advanced in terms of variety not taste. Finding the food more tasteful for you and eating only that food will maximize your health is illogical. It's the reason why so many people are fat and unhealthful , My idea would be that eating from the 5 food groups would take you up to 1000 Health points, but to go over that you would need to eat different vegetables, fruits and grains and even alternate meat and fish. That would give us a reason to have different kind of fruits and berries, at the same time you would still be able to just pick berries to help you survive the first days. 

you should probably gain knowledge from failure too, at the loss of the seed or plant of course.other than that i like the third option the most.

I too like the third option, on a side note how do you guys feel about the agriculture skill, does it seems like it increases really fast in comparison to the other skills, or is that just me. If the bushes thing is linked to the ag skill then it might have to change.

I too like the third option, on a side note how do you guys feel about the agriculture skill, does it seems like it increases really fast in comparison to the other skills, or is that just me. If the bushes thing is linked to the ag skill then it might have to change.

my agriculture is my highest skill... it increase quickly if you travel and pick wild crop and even faster when you harvest all your field

Ya thats what ive experienced, I become a master before anything else is leveled once.

So to me it would bring up the question that, if ones ag skill gets maxed really quickly, would it have a noticeable restriction on berry transplanting? If it doesnt maybe the ag skill should be tweaked or a different method, like seasonal restriction should be used.

I just tought that the shovel thing would be "easy" to implement. The bush would not be the visible part, it would be the dirt block under, like the roots of the bush. When you plant it back, it could be smaller and have to grow to full size before bearing fruits. Bush that can not stack should have the ability to grow two or tree high