Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
JDCollie

Mining Supports Modification

14 posts in this topic

This is more of a coding and aesthetic change than anything.

I was wondering if it would be possible for the horizontal and verticle mining supports to be 'microblocks' similar to Redpower? My reason for asking is because, as they exist now, I have to mine extra spaces to construct the supports, as I cannot walk 'through' them.

Posted Image

Above is the current system. If I am mining a 2x2 tunnel, I must expand that to a 3x4 when I want to add supports, significantly increasing cave-in chances and resource expenditure.

Now let's look at what it would be like with micro blocks.

Posted Image

The microblocks 'attach' to the walls (any of you who have used redpower understand what I mean). The area between them is still passable, if slightly narrower. Also, it looks cooler, as the supports would be visible, rather than recessed in cubbyholes like they are now.

One side effect would be that proper tunnel reinforcing would require fewer supports for the 'same' results. (This isn't strictly true, as the old method actually supports a much wider area, but the functional area for the tunnel digging isn't changed any) However, I don't feel that this would be a serious concern.

Granted, this would not be a huge gameplay change, but introducing microblocks would provide lots of other possibilities down the road, and let's face it, who doesn't want sexier tunnels?

Yeah great idea! Would help a lot when mining!

yeah this would be very nice (when i actually start mining with support beams right now i dont lol)

I'm inclined to +1 this as well. I hope it's possible and not too difficult :)

Steve is 2 blocks high, so you still need to dig 3x2 area.

I think he's roughly 1.6 or 1.7m tall. But either way, mining out 1 block higher doesn't bother me.

Steve is 2 blocks high, so you still need to dig 3x2 area.

Hmmm, you are correct. Perhaps the overhead supports could be passable, and we could pretend Steve just ducks as he walks under them? :)

Actually Steve is 1.6 blocks high.

Actually Steve is 1.6 blocks high.

The microblocks shouldn't be a problem then, In theory at least.

I'm somewhat bothered by the fact that you can only place supports against walls. You can't place them in the middle of the room for instance. I don't know if that's the idea but yeah.

it would just be a block that changes shape based on the around it, it would still be in the middle if there were no blocks touching it but it would press against a wall if placed next to one in a corner it would just press to the corner I can't imagine it would be much harder to code then glass panes or fences.