Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
SeanyGlass

Multiplayer and inter-server travel.

76 posts in this topic

*This is all very interesting, but when I go to play TFC on a server, I want to play the TFC I find in single player in all its glory with my friends. I want to build a community with them on one map. I do not want to be forced into a small section of what single player is, and told that by random chance my island has little value so **I must go to other servers that may or may not be online, ***be properly maintained, be updated to the most recent version, using the same mods, or edited to their own user's personal advantage.

*I want my multiplayer to be the exact same as my singleplayer, only with the people I trust along for the ride.

*If this is ever implemented, either this suggestion would have to be a separate server system all together managed by the people interested in it, or I would simply not play. ***There is too much potential for cheating, incompatibility, and general chaos for the unlucky individuals in charge of managing it.

Well then, let me solve those possible problems.

* You could definitely play normal TFC multiplayer.

** The servers would have an offline limit.

*** All of the servers would be controlled by the main server.

I play mc and TFC two ways. One, exact sane as ssp but with people I trust, and ruthless pvp. Neither if these particularly lends itself to this but it's an interesting idea.

I play mc and TFC two ways. One, exact sane as ssp but with people I trust, and ruthless pvp. Neither if these particularly lends itself to this but it's an interesting idea.

No, but this would be the only way we could get giant empires wailing on each other.

I think I get it now (If you don't get what's going on here, don't worry, it's a terrible doodle I drew to organize my thoughts.)

A single "world" in the traditional sense would be comprised of multiple "island worlds." Each island world would have a couple of biomes. For simplicity's sake, I imagined that an ocean/deep sea biome would serve as a giant portal, while a separate "shallow sea" would be created to allow people to play around in the ocean and stuff. Accessing the deep sea in a single or multiplayer world would open some kind of ocean minigame GUI where the food your boat is stocked with, your heading, and other factors would come into play allowing you to navigate...kind of. To cross servers I imagine you would need to put in an IP address? Then depending on whether or not OPs on the other side have enabled some kind of open harbour setting, travel would be successful?

I don't know.

It is a lot harder to decide in here vs in futurecraft there we just said warp gates with IP's plugged in. On the other hand we actually have to have travel time and method what if there was a map and all steering was autopilot besides manuevering if you were attacked in the mean time you could just walk around your ship. The farther the distance the more travel time

...oh gods...

...it'll be just like animal crossing...

But what is to stop people from using third party hacks on their own server to get tons of stuff, and then moving onto your server and owning you sorry ass?

I think I get it now (If you don't get what's going on here, don't worry, it's a terrible doodle I drew to organize my thoughts.)

A single "world" in the traditional sense would be comprised of multiple "island worlds." Each island world would have a couple of biomes. For simplicity's sake, I imagined that an ocean/deep sea biome would serve as a giant portal, while a separate "shallow sea" would be created to allow people to play around in the ocean and stuff. Accessing the deep sea in a single or multiplayer world would open some kind of ocean minigame GUI where the food your boat is stocked with, your heading, and other factors would come into play allowing you to navigate...kind of. To cross servers I imagine you would need to put in an IP address? Then depending on whether or not OPs on the other side have enabled some kind of open harbour setting, travel would be successful?

I don't know.

Most of this is right, but I am against having any sort of minigame.

It is a lot harder to decide in here vs in futurecraft there we just said warp gates with IP's plugged in. On the other hand we actually have to have travel time and method what if there was a map and all steering was autopilot besides manuevering if you were attacked in the mean time you could just walk around your ship. The farther the distance the more travel time

Hmm... was thinking more that when your boat exits the server, it comes into a multi-server ocean. it is then stearable around this ocean. when it goes into the border of another server, the boat and you is transported into it along the border of their map.

...oh gods...

...it'll be just like animal crossing...

lol...

The travel is the only similar aspect, and even then it's using player-made boats.

But what is to stop people from using third party hacks on their own server to get tons of stuff, and then moving onto your server and owning you sorry ass?

Multi-Server admins.

Multi-Server admins.

Corrupt Multi-Server admins.

Corrupt Multi-Server admins.

Voting down multi server admins.

Why not this:

When a server map is created, it creates 4 (config) separate spawn points, about 1000-3000 blocks apart.

When a new player joins the server, they are assigned a random spawn point.

Now, you'll automatically have 4 separate communities, on a single server.

If you want a smaller or larger server, just change the number of spawn points (down to 1 if you want)

These spawn points could use the stronghold location algorithm, selecting a random point in a permitted biome (probably forests, taigas. Not deserts, oceans, mountains)

My thoughts were that by having different materials on different island would encourage trade. The reason you'd incorporate that into a multi-server format is because each server would have a sense of unity, as well as increasing the amount of players that would be playing together in a connected environment.

i think making copper/silver/plat coins out already exsisting mats would be easier and make for a econ that can be used in trades

i think making copper/silver/plat coins out already exsisting mats would be easier and make for a econ that can be used in trades

what?

I can see this as a good sudgestion, but why did you quote my post? O.o

My post said that different islands should have different materials so they have a reason to trade, instead of being able to get everything/almost everything in even a medium sized area.

Which has nothing to do which currency, except maybe it's accessibility

Actually, it has nothing to do with currency, just supply/demand.

Well then, let me solve those possible problems.

* You could definitely play normal TFC multiplayer.

** The servers would have an offline limit.

*** All of the servers would be controlled by the main server.

If I can play normal TFC multiplayer, then I don't mind this idea taking off. If I sounded hostile it was because this idea seems viable and interesting. I kind of panicked at the idea of multiplayer as a whole being completely changed. I really do like this idea (it does sound like a fun and new way of doing minecraft multiplayer), I was just a bit scared at it becoming the only option and jumped the gun. Sorry about that. :(

By the way, just a random thing, but I like the format you responded in.

I agree about jumping the gun...

And also, it's considered good form to quote the post you're responding to.

I agree about jumping the gun...

And also, it's considered good form to quote the post you're responding to.

He wasn't responding to my post, was he? As far as I can tell, he was just stating a new idea.

Oh... *useless post is useless*

Edit: Although, I do wonder about that... If all of the people decided to migrate to one server, how would/could it be handled?

I can only think in cloud computing.

If the multi-server stuffs is made only to be able to hold more people without depending on a single super-uber server but instead in some 10 or so small servers, the computing required would be shared evenly between all the servers, so even if a server is with all players in it's "domains" the computing would be done by all servers.

Also, I don't know why people are still with the island idea, for me a multi-server solen purpose is be able to hold more people. Perhaps the scheme would be one main server and some dependent servers that would only be used to computing. You could implement the multi way-point if you want to make some kind of "community", but that could work with a single waypoint.

If the multi-server stuffs is made only to be able to hold more people without depending on a single super-uber server but instead in some 10 or so small servers, the computing required would be shared evenly between all the servers, so even if a server is with all players in it's "domains" the computing would be done by all servers.

Also, I don't know why people are still with the island idea, for me a multi-server solen purpose is be able to hold more people. Perhaps the scheme would be one main server and some dependent servers that would only be used to computing. You could implement the multi way-point if you want to make some kind of "community", but that could work with a single waypoint.

I was thinking islands originally because then you could have an ocean as a border, and as a sort of boundary for resources..

I think that for large-massive amounts of people, less type of rock and biomes per square minecraft kilometer would increase the distance player would have to travel to get all the resources and thereby increase trade. Inside of the different rock layers, for even further trade, you could have areas maybe 200*200 blocks in which only 1-3 types of ore spawned, but there was allot of it. I think about 5-6 resource deposits per rock layer would suffice. Prospecting, not necessarily with the prospecting pick, would become useful, because if someone found a metal vein, they could say "Hey look guys, I found some ore, I bet there's more nearby!"

In real life, this has happened several times in the form of gold rushes.

All of this could be in the form of an optional world generation.

Edit: I forgot to mention, each server I.P. could add an additional spawn. I can't think of specifics right now, but I'm sure there is a reason you would want that.

This would work well I think with an idea that I have been developing.

Where you research new tech (to a point steam ageish) and possibly different tech trees for the arcane arts and well tech.

Where depending on what tree you take you will form groups.

So one 'island' could become all tech and then move out to continue its crusade to make eveyone one in the world there tech type. (as there will be 100's of combinations of the tech trees)

Like you do in spore.

There also could be alliances between the islands and that would be where the trade routes would come in...

This would be a coding and bug NIGHTMARE!!!!

Unless it was done like Lumireaver said.

This would work well I think with an idea that I have been developing.

Where you research new tech (to a point steam ageish) and possibly different tech trees for the arcane arts and well tech.

Where depending on what tree you take you will form groups.

So one 'island' could become all tech and then move out to continue its crusade to make eveyone one in the world there tech type. (as there will be 100's of combinations of the tech trees)

Like you do in spore.

There are people on this forum that really don't like the idea of research, and I agree with them to a lesser extent, unless in your case research is like the tiered anvils already in the game. Like the other people that don't like research, I don't like the idea of Steve knowing how to do things I don't know. I also REALLY don't like the idea of conquering to try to make it all one tech, and for reference, that doesn't have to happen in spore. I generally like to be economy until the end of the civilization stage, where I have enough money to afford to blow people to bits.

There also could be alliances between the islands and that would be where the trade routes would come in...

This would be a coding and bug NIGHTMARE!!!!

Unless it was done like Lumireaver said.

From now on, daxx, I suggest you read up a little more before posting. That and I have no idea what post lumireaver made that your refering to, he makes alot of posts.

Sorry still getting use to the layout of the forums didn't see the page numbers :/ it was to the end of the first page. The 'research' would be something like what you suggested. Just so a new island can't skip all the hard work that the starter island went through.

And sorry about my screw up.

Haven't followed all the posts up until now all that well but I don't think this has been suggested:

To expand on the idea that you travel by ocean to other servers, wouldn't it be possible to have like a "bermuda triangle" (although in this case, bermuda square) in some or a few of the oceans on each server.

It would connect to the "central server" in the "flower"-type set up someone mentioned early on, but this server in the middle of all the servers shouldn't be something you can colonize, because if THAT server cap becomes full of people colonizing, then people won't be able to travel between servers.