Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kimbblesrath

Cubic Chunks in TFC

What do you think?   74 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cubic Chunks be implemented into TFC?

• EFF YEAH!!
    • Yeah!
    • I think so.
    • Meh.
    • No.
    • NO!
  2. 2. If you think it should be implemented, how many block high should it be? (bedrock to sky top)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

157 posts in this topic

I've been seriously wondering, is there going to be a point with TFC where Minecraft's potential has been exhausted, or it would be more efficient to design something new? Minecraft seems more capable than I'd originally thought, but even so, I've a feeling some point it will seem silly to keep modding off Minecraft, Some point enough code will have been written to get around minecraft that it may have been it's own game.

Totally agree with this. Been thinking a lot about it too what with all the conversations circling around this lately and that other idea I had a short while back (which has since been fleshed out into what must be its own game or use a different engine - there's no way to mod it into Minecraft anymore reasonably). It feels very much that Minecraft is going in one direction and much of its community is looking for a very different direction. Given the community's skill range... it's really only a matter of time before a really good engine (likely open source) comes along and pretty much ends the kludge-filled reliance on mc core. Maybe SpoutCraft is in the process of becoming that... their community seems to be grappling with a lot of the same questions, ultimately. The Drupal of sandbox game engines.

Totally agree with this. Been thinking a lot about it too what with all the conversations circling around this lately and that other idea I had a short while back (which has since been fleshed out into what must be its own game or use a different engine - there's no way to mod it into Minecraft anymore reasonably). It feels very much that Minecraft is going in one direction and much of its community is looking for a very different direction. Given the community's skill range... it's really only a matter of time before a really good engine (likely open source) comes along and pretty much ends the kludge-filled reliance on mc core. Maybe SpoutCraft is in the process of becoming that... their community seems to be grappling with a lot of the same questions, ultimately. The Drupal of sandbox game engines.

The thing is that when another voxel game comes out, like many did, people call it a minecraft ripoff, a poor copy, etc... It's sad, even if the game has a better engine. Look at steam greenlight! This game already has infinite height and depth, colored lights, better engine, yet people think it is minecraft.

P.s. I hate those people that say "It's a ripoff"

The thing is that when another voxel game comes out, like many did, people call it a minecraft ripoff, a poor copy, etc... It's sad, even if the game has a better engine. Look at steam greenlight! This game already has infinite height and depth, colored lights, better engine, yet people think it is minecraft.

P.s. I hate those people that say "It's a ripoff"

That game is AMAZING!! I just cannot percieve how people would say it is a ripoff. TFC Should be taking this dierection.

I guess it's the 'Facebook Effect' - it doesn't how crappy or bug filled a program is, if enough people are using it, it stays the dominant behemoth no matter how many better versions come out following a similar idea.

Yeah, seeing that game it's nothing like Minecraft, but I really dislike the aesthetic, so it may not be a rip-off, but I still wouldn't enjoy it unless it looks better in game than out.

despite everything the strongest thing Minecraft has going for it is that aesthetic edge, most games that try this are too busy, or too bright and ugly, while Minecraft's managed a distinct look that doesn't go too far one way or the other, TFC maintains this really well, many mods do not.

Do you know what I really like of minecraft? That it's the first true game where you can edit the terrain where you play.

Have you ever heard of populous?

Have you ever heard of populous?

Never. New for me!

With the fear of repeating my self since the post had been deleted.

1989 Populous

A really great game! And quite revolutionary for its time

I personally prefer Populous 3... It's a shame there wasn't a "Random map" mode or something like that : that would have been cool.

I personally prefer Populous 3... It's a shame there wasn't a "Random map" mode or something like that : that would have been cool.

Never played it... Randomness was quite hard to program on that game, I think that with perlin noise now it should be easy enough...

Never played it... Randomness was quite hard to program on that game, I think that with perlin noise now it should be easy enough...

: I honestly would like to see a revival of this series... a fourth game, to bring back the chamanic fun to the players. If i recall correctly someone was going to release a Populous 4 (with a random map option, i think), but the project just stoped... Not sure though.

There were a couple of tries with flash games... a bit fun but still far from being all that fun.

Populous 3 was an amazing game. One of the best rts ever... but it never really took off. It didn't have the best timing for a launch of that type of game.

Populous 3 was an amazing game. One of the best rts ever... but it never really took off. It didn't have the best timing for a launch of that type of game.

... God, the nostalgia will force me to install it and complete it again... which is bad, 'cause i feel bad when i realize i completed it in a week :(

(Yeah, i have played a lot...)

... God, the nostalgia will force me to install it and complete it again... which is bad, 'cause i feel bad when i realize i completed it in a week :(

(Yeah, i have played a lot...)

Have you tried

?

Have you tried

?

Yep. Done already, i spent around two months playing around with the last level. It was pretty fun while it lasted :P

Though, i still prefer Populous... The only game that competes (for me) was Theocracy. Though the bugs where constantly annoying me, i couldn't spend 5 minutes playing without having to save, otherwise the game crashed :.

How does from dust look like? I wanted to try it in the past, but I didn't.

How does from dust look like? I wanted to try it in the past, but I didn't.

I didn't care for it.

It was way too short, and it is a puzzle game, nothing like the original promotions lead me to believe.

I didn't care for it.

It was way too short, and it is a puzzle game, nothing like the original promotions lead me to believe.

Nothing so good to try then? Ok thank you!

Nothing so good to try then? Ok thank you!

It depends on what you like... it's a bit short, yeah, but it doesn't forces you to the next level once you finished the one you are in: you can continue playing around with the map and stuff in it, until you wanna go on, and then you just go on. It's not made for a rush play, but for you to enjoy and take your time. Ok, some levels require a little (LOT) of timing, but still, i find it quite enjoyable...

The only down sides i found were that:

1) You can't control your villagers very well... they will sometime get stuck for nothing at all. They are pussies -__-

2) The cut scene between levels IS ALWAYS THE F+CKING SAME ONE. Seriously, what a casualty that every single one of those caves are exactly equal, don't you think? as well as the place they get out in, even when the level clearly shows that it doesn't looks like the previous one AT ALL. A bit more work there wouldn't have been so bad -__-

It depends on what you like... it's a bit short, yeah, but it doesn't forces you to the next level once you finished the one you are in: you can continue playing around with the map and stuff in it, until you wanna go on, and then you just go on. It's not made for a rush play, but for you to enjoy and take your time. Ok, some levels require a little (LOT) of timing, but still, i find it quite enjoyable...

The only down sides i found were that:

1) You can't control your villagers very well... they will sometime get stuck for nothing at all. They are pussies -__-

2) The cut scene between levels IS ALWAYS THE F+CKING SAME ONE. Seriously, what a casualty that every single one of those caves are exactly equal, don't you think? as well as the place they get out in, even when the level clearly shows that it doesn't looks like the previous one AT ALL. A bit more work there wouldn't have been so bad -__-

Yet the visual was soo damn impressive for me at the time!

How far we've gone out of the rail?

How far we've gone out of the rail?

A lot, from cubic chunks to "from dust".

We haven't gone out of the rails, just placed it in another rail. This is now a thread to talk about this kind of awesome games, both old and new :3

We haven't gone out of the rails, just placed it in another rail. This is now a thread to talk about this kind of awesome games, both old and new :3

Then you're saying that another hidden type of derailing exists? Placing a topic in another rail...a good way to not derail while you derail.

I'll use this.