Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Virusbomb

Chest size fix.

95 posts in this topic

After many many complaints and topics on the matter of the recent chest nerfing I have the idea of simpling adding a config option the allows it be be original vanilla size or the nerfed TFC size. A simple true/false option in the config file. Or possibly even a midway where instead of being 1/3 size have it 2/3 which would be a good agreement.

Ehhhhhhhh...

...resoundingly neutral on this one.

On one hand it does kinda diminish the satisfaction of skilled resource management when you know that the option exists to just have fucktons of space again.

On the other, it's not like this is forced - it's totally optional... and it is pretty silly to railroad people into having only the configuration you want...

...But then again, it is Bioxx's mod, if you don't like it you can just uninstall...

...Agh, so torn. Love the idea or hate it... I just can't decide.

+/- 0

Well i love the mod and don't want to uninstall from one minor inconvenience but I don't want to spend so much more times having to make 3 times the chests as normal.

I had the same problem with cave-ins, I liked the idea but it would happen far too often even with supports so I simply went into the config and adjusted it. Now I have it where it will cave in if I don't support but it's fine if I do.

Personal customization is always nice in a mod.

I share the same concerns as Eternal. It will be difficult for me (and presumably many others) to face up to the temptation of far easier inventory management and turn down the opportunity, however, I think you are right, and there is no reason to lose players because of the size of chests :S

The solution is actually easy .. we need to be able to store ore, sand, stone in piles like logs

we need vases and pots to store flowers and saplings in, an then shevles to store them on... alternatively we need to be able to make a nursery bed where we can store 16 of a type without them growing

we need cupboards, and under bed storage for skins and a whole bunch of other stuff ..

Alternatively what we need is a generic storage solution, lets call it a "chest", in wich we can store what ever we like ..

Now I'm not necessarily agains the size nerf, but as the chest is now smaller 8 planks should yeild more than 1 chest .. or how much wood do you think it actaully takes to build a 1m x 1m x 1m chest .. 2 whole 50ft trees for instance?

Open air storage has been suggested several times before, and even has it's own thread I think. Bioxx has come out and said that storage will likely move to places such as the scribing table etc. as well, which should reduce the pressure on your chests :P

I'm pretty sure that the smaller chest size is a prerequisite for the "you can now store shit everywhere" update.

Ya, we are moving towards specific storage like in DF.

I think its a good idea, it adds more costomizability and also it could help those who had filled chests in their old worlds and cant open them now. but then again as ppl sayed mabe Bioxx will add somthing soon that will imporve item storage.

Would be nice if chests didn't take so much wood considering they don't hold much.

Maybe we could stack Ingots like Logs, So their would be a reason not to just skip into the blacksmithing stage. It would also allow the chests to be a bit cleaner since (due to temperature differences) ingots couldn't be stacked and their fore took up immense amount of space in the inventory or chest. Could be the same size as a double chest (A lot of ingots can be stacked in a small space) but could only be filled with ingots. A minor change, but it could possibly save a huge amount of space.

Maybe we could stack Ingots like Logs, So their would be a reason not to just skip into the blacksmithing stage. It would also allow the chests to be a bit cleaner since (due to temperature differences) ingots couldn't be stacked and their fore took up immense amount of space in the inventory or chest. Could be the same size as a double chest (A lot of ingots can be stacked in a small space) but could only be filled with ingots. A minor change, but it could possibly save a huge amount of space.

this has been suggested countless times and is guaranteed to be added.

People are still taking reduced chest size the wrong way. Reduced chest size does not mean "you now have to make three times as many chests", it means "you're going to have to use specialized storage and more efficient resource management". It adds VALUE to items you'd otherwise just throw in a chest and forget about, as you have to choose what things you want to keep and when to use said things.

As has been mentioned, things like ingot piles are getting added, and I doubt more specialized storage methods more efficient than chests aren't going to be added in the future.

People are still taking reduced chest size the wrong way. Reduced chest size does not mean "you now have to make three times as many chests", it means "you're going to have to use specialized storage and more efficient resource management". It adds VALUE to items you'd otherwise just throw in a chest and forget about, as you have to choose what things you want to keep and when to use said things.

As has been mentioned, things like ingot piles are getting added, and I doubt more specialized storage methods more efficient than chests aren't going to be added in the future.

Not gonna change the stockpilers like me who just build a 40x20x40 warehouse with 3 levels and super organized chests xD

Why should i throw away resources when i can just build three more chests?

Why should i throw away resources when i can just build three more chests?

Not gonna change the stockpilers like me who just build a 40x20x40 warehouse with 3 levels and super organized chests xD

These.

Oh, really? Let's see... I need a couple stacks of charcoal for melting one inventory of ore. I need 2 chests full of ore to make enough double ingots for a single anvil. How many anvils do you need to get through the game? I need 1 of each tool, some wood planks, some rock, flux, plans, food....

So what part of that list is so valueless that "I don't need it"?

-Don't keep dirt anymore because hey, creeper holes don't happen every day.

-Don't bother keeping torches or food, monsters give you full health bar

-Don't keep different rocks because the 4 different types of stone tools is a myth.

-Don't bother mining coal because charcoal works just fine.

Am I hitting any good tips here?

Wait, don't tell me. The answer of "when I find ore, I'm just going to leave it there until I need it, walk 2k blocks back home, find out I need it 4 hours later, walk 2k blocks back out and pick it up.

No. No one does that. You pick it up and take it home so you're not wasting hours walking around like a retard.

Wait, don't tell me. The answer of "when I find ore, I'm just going to leave it there until I need it, walk 2k blocks back home, find out I need it 4 hours later, walk 2k blocks back out and pick it up.

No. No one does that. You pick it up and take it home so you're not wasting hours walking around like a retard.

Actually, I set up a temporary home next to the ore deposit, akin to a mining camp. When I have processed all the ore I need I work around the base for a while, and bring it up to a good standard and then move to a new deposit. I don't have one home, I have like 5

Actually, I set up a temporary home next to the ore deposit, akin to a mining camp. When I have processed all the ore I need I work around the base for a while, and bring it up to a good standard and then move to a new deposit. I don't have one home, I have like 5

And you do this by carrying a chisel, at least 2 stacks of charcoal, Chests or wood planks, sticks, torches and bellows everywhere you go? Or do you walk back and get the materials?

I'm sure that works wonderfully in SSP. SMP, that's just an invitation for a new player to steal everything of value like the bloomery, bricks and bellows then claim jump you for ore.

And you do this by carrying a chisel, at least 2 stacks of charcoal, Chests or wood planks, sticks, torches and bellows everywhere you go? Or do you walk back and get the materials?

No, I carry a chisel, an axe, a couple of picks and a prospecting pick, sticks and some food. I build stone charcoal pits at all my bases and gather all lumber etc. locally. Then I start to mine while the charcoal is being made :)

I'm sure that works wonderfully in SSP. SMP, that's just an invitation for a new player to steal everything of value like the bloomery, bricks and bellows then claim jump you for ore.

I don't play SMP right now, so I can't comment on that :P

Carting materials isn't the backbreaking task you make it out to be. Just because you have to walk a bit doesn't mean it's awful and terrible.

I play something amazing called "Cooperative SMP". Not everyone plays anarchic PvP SMP, you know.

It usually goes like this for me:

I need some more ore, so I grab a chisel, some clay balls, food, and a bronze anvil, and head out. I find a cave, or dig one out using a few stone pickaxes (rocks are everywhere). Then, on the surface, I use the stone from the cave plus the chisel to make bricks. I chop down some nearby trees and make charcoal. Bloomery+Forge already done. I place the bronze anvil nearby, because even iron, the strongest naturally occuring metal, can be made into an ingot on a bronze anvil (and bronze is cheap). I use some wood planks to make a chest, and drop all this stuff into the chest.

I go mining and hope to find some ore. If I do, I trek it up (by this time, my charcoal is usually done), make some clay molds, melt the metal down (If I need to, I can usually find a few cows close by to make bellows), work it into an ingot, and carry my riches back home. Done.

Edit: Dang ninjas

I think it's kind of funny when people go 'they're going to jump you' in minecraft. i can take an arrow to the face, if someone jumps me i'm not afraid of being stabbed, instead of a robbery it'll be a duel to the death.

I play something amazing called "Cooperative SMP". Not everyone plays anarchic PvP SMP, you know.

Funny, I've been playing those since I started TFC, yet every SINGLE server, there's always someone who wants to not play by the rules and constantly messes shit up. EVERY SINGLE SERVER. Every build. There is always at least one person saying "someone stole my stuff!" Even whitelisted with like 6 people, it didn't matter if it was open or not. Every server. Every build.

I think it's kind of funny when people go 'they're going to jump you' in minecraft. i can take an arrow to the face, if someone jumps me i'm not afraid of being stabbed, instead of a robbery it'll be a duel to the death.

Umm... I said 'claim jumping' This means while you turn your back, log off or walk more than 100 blocks, someone steals your staked out ore and mining stuff.

It usually goes like this for me:

I need some more ore, so I grab a chisel, some clay balls, food, and a bronze anvil, and head out. I find a cave, or dig one out using a few stone pickaxes (rocks are everywhere). Then, on the surface, I use the stone from the cave plus the chisel to make bricks. I chop down some nearby trees and make charcoal. Bloomery+Forge already done. I place the bronze anvil nearby, because even iron, the strongest naturally occuring metal, can be made into an ingot on a bronze anvil (and bronze is cheap). I use some wood planks to make a chest, and drop all this stuff into the chest.

I go mining and hope to find some ore. If I do, I trek it up (by this time, my charcoal is usually done), make some clay molds, melt the metal down (If I need to, I can usually find a few cows close by to make bellows), work it into an ingot, and carry my riches back home. Done.

Thank you. That makes more sense.

I don't find it believable that a human being is capable of carrying on their person four times the amount of materials that will fit inside a 1x1x2 meter box.