Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Srgnoodles

Lamps, Candles and Torches oh my! (new lighting ideas)

153 posts in this topic

they still aren't implemented, Buzhwaz :P be patient

Tallow is rendered from a form of beef/mutton fat so I think it would be fairly simple to add the items and process necessary since we already have the animals we need.

the devs could have a look at ic^2 for alblakas booze/coffe and coco system :3

No they can't

Even looking at another mod's sourcecode could be considered theft of intellectual property, and Alblaka is well known for being exceptionally uptight about this.

looking at the concept and looking at the code is something completly diffrent just sayin

it is his damn right to be uptight about the code, but he can´t forbid anyone to think about his concept of handling fermentation and boni/mali

No they can't

Even looking at another mod's sourcecode could be considered theft of intellectual property, and Alblaka is well known for being exceptionally uptight about this.

That is a somewhat dubious matter. For example, reading a book and using it as an inspiration is not intellectual property theft, but using actual excerpts from the book would be. Similarly (I think) it is not theft to look at a piece of code for inspiration on how to perform a function, but it is theft to use part of that code. (I might be wrong though :P)

That is a somewhat dubious matter. For example, reading a book and using it as an inspiration is not intellectual property theft, but using actual excerpts from the book would be. Similarly (I think) it is not theft to look at a piece of code for inspiration on how to perform a function, but it is theft to use part of that code. (I might be wrong though :P)

Unfortunately while that may be the case with most mod developers, Alblaka is a notorious tightass about this. If he thinks for a moment that anyone is trying to ape something from IC2 he flips a shit

Unfortunately while that may be the case with most mod developers, Alblaka is a notorious tightass about this. If he thinks for a moment that anyone is trying to ape something from IC2 he flips a shit

I see .. There has probably been history for him regarding code theft or something

but how is it possible to make so many codes for the same tasks ?

when is it considerd copying, when healthy mind ?

(i hate these intelectual property laws, they are so hazy)

Well, i think dunk and bioxx don't want to add a buff system, i might be wrong though, but a use for coffee would be nice, maybe when combat overhaul is added, (And if energy like SM is added) then it could cause it to regenerate sooner?

Well, i think dunk and bioxx don't want to add a buff system, i might be wrong though, but a use for coffee would be nice, maybe when combat overhaul is added, (And if energy like SM is added) then it could cause it to regenerate sooner?

i thought more like energy bar fills up faster but it also deplets the hunger bar faster

but how is it possible to make so many codes for the same tasks ?

when is it considerd copying, when healthy mind ?

(i hate these intelectual property laws, they are so hazy)

There aren't too many ways to code this stuff, true.

It's bad if they look at IC2 and take ideas from it.

If they come up with the ideas completely on their own without looking at IC2 and it happens to be similar, then it was just convergently developed and that's fine. The point is, the TFC team can't have any knowledge of IC2s mechanics if they intend on implementing a similar one

There aren't too many ways to code this stuff, true.

It's bad if they look at IC2 and take ideas from it.

If they come up with the ideas completely on their own without looking at IC2 and it happens to be similar, then it was just convergently developed and that's fine. The point is, the TFC team can't have any knowledge of IC2s mechanics if they intend on implementing a similar one

that is the most utterly two-faced base for copyright i have ever heard (nothing against you)

wich moron came up with this?

I have to agree with Gismo on this one (sorry eternal)

"it's bad if they like at IC2 code and take ideas from it."

Looking at the concept is fine.

Look at NEI vs TMI. Same concept, different code. That's competition, not copyright infringement.

Look at NEI vs TMI. Same concept, different code. That's competition, not copyright infringement.

you dont get my point

my point is, as long as you dont know what the other guy is doing its not infringement, but as soon as you look at another party´s code, you stole it

Well yeah, that's what I'm saying. Gizmo thinks looking at the code and taking 'inspiration' from that should be fine though, unless I'm mistaken

Well yeah, that's what I'm saying. Gizmo thinks looking at the code and taking 'inspiration' from that should be fine though, unless I'm mistaken

i mean isnt it kinda fucked up to say, its ok the have the same code as long as you didnt copy it

but how do you determine when somethin is copied ? i cant say you copied from me because you solve: 2300*2=4600 this way: (23*2)+00 /or/ 2300*2

just because i did it before you did

i think this is insane

you dont get my point

my point is, as long as you dont know what the other guy is doing its not infringement, but as soon as you look at another party´s code, you stole it

No YOU don't get MY point.

As soon as you look at their code, it's stealing. We agree on that.

But if you just, for example, play IC2 for a while, then write your own system to have similar effects, then it's convergent development and is totally fine. The thought process should be "I want ti right a buff/debuff system based on beverages. Oh look, IC2 has one of those. I'll go play it. Okay, now I'm going to write some code of my own."

Never looking at IC2 code. Hey, look at pipes vs tubes! Same deal.

Hey, look at pipes vs tubes! Same deal.

ugh this is why i hate elloram, she's trying to incorperate all the other Technic mods into hers

the tubes are copying buildcraft

the bluelectric is copying IC electricity

and now she's added her own computers to rival computercraft

i understand why FlowerChild left forge

ugh this is why i hate elloram, she's trying to incorperate all the other Technic mods into hers

the tubes are copying buildcraft

the bluelectric is copying IC electricity

and now she's added her own computers to rival computercraft

i understand why FlowerChild left forge

Bluetricity serves a very different function to IC2 EUs and isn't even similar

RP brass pipes are incredibly dissimilar to BC <insert material here> pipes. In RP, the pipes are only a means to an end - they move things from one machine to another; the main focus is the machines themselves. In BC, the pipes ARE the main focus, and they have a wide amount of variety and functions.

As far as computers go, RP control actually came WAY first, but since the ComputerCraft developer saw that she wasn't going to release it for a good long time he asked Eloraam's permission to make a spinoff mod of it, which she consented to. So even if one was ripping off the other (which they weren't), computercraft would be ripping off of Redpower.

I don't mind if you have an opinion different from mine

Just make sure it's an informed opinion first.

Bluetricity serves a very different function to IC2 EUs and isn't even similar

RP brass pipes are incredibly dissimilar to BC <insert material here> pipes. In RP, the pipes are only a means to an end - they move things from one machine to another; the main focus is the machines themselves. In BC, the pipes ARE the main focus, and they have a wide amount of variety and functions.

As far as computers go, RP control actually came WAY first, but since the ComputerCraft developer saw that she wasn't going to release it for a good long time he asked Eloraam's permission to make a spinoff mod of it, which she consented to. So even if one was ripping off the other (which they weren't), computercraft would be ripping off of Redpower.

I don't mind if you have an opinion different from mine

Just make sure it's an informed opinion first.

myeh its still too similar for me but whatever

lol how this thread derailed

i am guilty i know

I used pipes vs tubes as an example exactly because it is not an example of this. It is a better (read: more useful, better thought out, more balanced, more adaptable to TFC. Shall I go on?) design that was inspired NOT copied.

Now, return to topic.

How about torches that are crafted the same way as now, that burn for roughly 12000 mc ticks (half a standard day) but is influenced by my proposed humidity (see thunder thread). When they burn out they have a ~10% chance of leaving a stick.

How about candles that are produced in the above manner that burn for 24000 ticks, and have a return a shortened candle. This can be relit ti burn for an additional 12000 ticks. Again influenced by humidity.

How about lanterns produced in above manner, are not influenced by humidity, produce light when held, when placed can be GUI opened to add eel oil (see thread) or blubber (see other thread) to extend life. Remain placed when fuel is used up.

How about it?

Now, return to topic.

How about torches that are crafted the same way as now, that burn for roughly 12000 mc ticks (half a standard day) but is influenced by my proposed humidity (see thunder thread). When they burn out they have a ~10% chance of leaving a stick.

How about candles that are produced in the above manner that burn for 24000 ticks, and have a return a shortened candle. This can be relit ti burn for an additional 12000 ticks. Again influenced by humidity.

How about lanterns produced in above manner, are not influenced by humidity, produce light when held, when placed can be GUI opened to add eel oil (see thread) or blubber (see other thread) to extend life. Remain placed when fuel is used up.

How about it?

isnt that pretty much what i suggested just adding set times for them to burn for?

also, you shouldnt be able to light a candle stub, you should be able to melt it down and make a whole candle out of say 3 stubs

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0