Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bsb23

Metal blocks

82 posts in this topic

Not going to make double ingots placeable, as they are too blocky to be sections of a metre cubed.

Metre... fuggin canadians

Metre... fuggin canadians

More like fuggin americans! our system is STUPID. I just switched to metric, its so much easier.

One of the 12 unholy debates that never dies... The American way vs. the Globally Accepted way. You have returned...

I will show no mercy this time.

One of the 12 unholy debates that never dies... The American way vs. the Globally Accepted way. You have returned...

I will show no mercy this time.

Wanna see something that is really fucked up(concerning units)?

http://www.spe.org/i...tConversion.pdf

Those are the accepted units, they are all together, there is no unification...

More like fuggin americans! our system is STUPID. I just switched to metric, its so much easier.

...actually I doubt he was upset over the use of metric, but rather the canadian spelling 'metre' instead of 'meter'

...actually I doubt he was upset over the use of metric, but rather the canadian spelling 'metre' instead of 'meter'

oh thats the canadian spelling? i had no clue i thought it was just another way to say it

yeah I was talking about the spelling

and technically, its english everyplace else that spells it Metre, Americans are the odd men out :(

US likes to think its unified, yet we have pushed ourselves so far from the rest of the worlds norm that we are merely a back of the closet joke.

But seriously, can we get a single ingot storage device? Something like i said that allows me to make fort knox? pllllzz

US likes to think its unified, yet we have pushed ourselves so far from the rest of the worlds norm that we are merely a back of the closet joke.

But seriously, can we get a single ingot storage device? Something like i said that allows me to make fort knox? pllllzz

actually, that sounds kinda fun. What about... hmmm... what do ingots stack to again and how large are they?

They stack to 16 and are Medium, I think. I know they stack to 16.

They stack to 16 and are Medium, I think. I know they stack to 16.

Yeah, I think it would be cool to have an ingot storage block, but where the ingots are visually represented, so that a 1-ingot pile looks like a single ingot on the ground. I'm thinking an ingot would be represented by a 50 cm x 25 cm x 25 cm block (32 ingots per full storage block) but only one type of ingot per storage block. (makes visual representations easier)

Until i thought about the visual representation issue, i was about to ask you to do the same thing with logpiles if you succedded in the ingots ._:

ok, the high end of it(graphics) would be something along the lines of each ingot takes up 1/32 of a block. For the sanity of development, we break this down into eight ingots per layer. When you put one ingot into the world one layer is displayed automatically even if only that 1 is in the world. This is to ease the burden for coding shit(I suppose you can render each ingot separately... If you want the challenge.) after 8 are placed the next adds a layer(like snow, charcoal, etc)

On the low end, you can have a single block that represents a stack of ingots. Or you can be coolio and do this^^^^

Mechanics of the storage: Can hold only one ingot type. Ingot type based on first ingot placed. This is to prevent threads 'why does X not display on my Y ingot storage'. You CAN ignore this, but ascetically it just is nicer to separate it. There are 4 storage spots in the GUI each hold only ingots(any type depending on initial). Each slot holds half a stack(8). For ease of use, Mining the structure allows the user to 'pick it up' and place it. In this case the block is considered 'Huge' and 'Heavy'(meaning it stacks to 1). This can be done with just ones hands(10 seconds with hand). While this in its self is not believable, It certainly is user friendly. Storage type and storage contents of the block are saved inside separate metadata tags(tile entity)

Texture: The texture of the block is the same for all structures, just like grass. Using a similar method as with grass, you pick the colour. Colour is dependent on contents. For added effect, a piece of wood could be displayed on the bottom of the pile(I forget the name of object)

alternatively, there could be a crafting recipe for this. 5 sticks, 4 planks, makes a platform. Right clicking platform with a ingot places the ingot on it. Right clicking with fists/ different type of ingot opens GUI.

I think i made it as clear as possible. Right? Rather have thought it out entirely then leave holes.

small edit: Damnit dunk, you said what i said. Or I said what... You know what. I hate you <3

ok, the high end of it(graphics) would be something along the lines of each ingot takes up 1/32 of a block. For the sanity of development, we break this down into eight ingots per layer. When you put one ingot into the world one layer is displayed automatically even if only that 1 is in the world. This is to ease the burden for coding shit(I suppose you can render each ingot separately... If you want the challenge.) after 8 are placed the next adds a layer(like snow, charcoal, etc)

On the low end, you can have a single block that represents a stack of ingots. Or you can be coolio and do this^^^^

Mechanics of the storage: Can hold only one ingot type. Ingot type based on first ingot placed. This is to prevent threads 'why does X not display on my Y ingot storage'. You CAN ignore this, but ascetically it just is nicer to separate it. There are 4 storage spots in the GUI each hold only ingots(any type depending on initial). Each slot holds half a stack(8). For ease of use, Mining the structure allows the user to 'pick it up' and place it. In this case the block is considered 'Huge' and 'Heavy'(meaning it stacks to 1). This can be done with just ones hands(10 seconds with hand). While this in its self is not believable, It certainly is user friendly. Storage type and storage contents of the block are saved inside separate metadata tags(tile entity)

Texture: The texture of the block is the same for all structures, just like grass. Using a similar method as with grass, you pick the colour. Colour is dependent on contents. For added effect, a piece of wood could be displayed on the bottom of the pile(I forget the name of object)

alternatively, there could be a crafting recipe for this. 5 sticks, 4 planks, makes a platform. Right clicking platform with a ingot places the ingot on it. Right clicking with fists/ different type of ingot opens GUI.

I think i made it as clear as possible. Right? Rather have thought it out entirely then leave holes.

small edit: Damnit dunk, you said what i said. Or I said what... You know what. I hate you <3

It's not complex to represent each ingot individually, only to texture different types of ingot in the same block.

Great i love it now that this also could also make things a little easier for metal blocks now essentially we can have metal ingot brick blocks and this could be melted to solid smoothmetal block and maybe we could add a sheet pile too? To allow for even more shapes.

To summarize:

Ingot piles, stacked ingots of the same type.

Metal brick (ingot) block made by a full ingot pile.

Metal sheet stack which is layers of sheets can be placed sideways but not upside down.

Smoothmetal block made from melting down a metal brick block into a large mold.

Great i love it now that this also could also make things a little easier for metal blocks now essentially we can have metal ingot brick blocks and this could be melted to solid smoothmetal block and maybe we could add a sheet pile too? To allow for even more shapes.

To summarize:

Ingot piles, stacked ingots of the same type.

Metal brick (ingot) block made by a full ingot pile.

Metal sheet stack which is layers of sheets can be placed sideways but not upside down.

Smoothmetal block made from melting down a metal brick block into a large mold.

that's a tall order sir.

thats why I suggested NOT to allow multiple different ingots in the structure.

so a question... any personal issue with being able to use the hand to pick up an entire pile?

can you hold your whole "wang-wa" in one hand without bundling? if you say YES i am sad for you.

that's a tall order sir.

That's true, I suppose the sheets block isn't necessary it would just be nice. I could live with only the three others considering one is just a full version of the other and the third is just a melted version of the second one.

The large ceramic mold could be made by combining nine normal ceramic molds just for simplicity.

I'm trying to make it so, I can still use the smoothmetal for what I intend for it and bricks may look a little strange.

Edit: I am being a little unthankful here, I apologize, if such was necessary I could live with just the pile. sorry bout that.

Double Edit:

I'm going to be honest here my original intention was to get decorative blocks purely for one reason.

I am active in only one other forum it is called Futurecraft and right now it isn't out yet and progress is extremely slow so the dedicated members of the forums have been sitting on their hands for several months. Suggesting an occasional idea, forming random roleplay groups and, of course being eager to use the mod have designed ships for it. I don't mean a couple I mean hundreds, and I don't mean small ships I mean huge ships, here is the size chart for the ships made by a player named LaserbillyPosted ImageThe Quip if you can see it is six by three by three more than size of eighteen Steves.

However they recently realized that the only things they were capable of using is vanilla stuff and texture packs because their was nothing else to use and quite honestly those textures mostly look like crap and only allow a very small amount of color (grey, white, maroon, blue, light blue and gold).

This is the perfect oppurtunity to get TerraFirmaCraft known to more people if they're making those sized ships with our blocks that don't look horrible and they have more control over, These creations will definitely get recognition. Not to mention it's the polite thing to do. That is what I wanted the metal blocks for originally now it is clear they have even more purposes though.

Personally, I think using metal sheets to plate blocks for aesthetics/extra strength would be nice

Removed because ECC said pretty much the exact same thing above me apparently.

Quite an ambitious project they got there, but a whole year without any release? Thats a bummer... They must redo the whole engine and optimize, EVERYTHING in order to do what they want. Quite the project really...

You should try to listen to the lead coder, fr0stbyte talk about it, I can't understand a frickin word he says and then refers to his explanation as the simple version (look in fr0stbytes dev log in member's lounge area on their forums) so I have confidence that he knows what he is doing.

redundant, I said that ;P its on this page... Wow... lol... lazy

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0