Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
godlike35

Scaffold

23 posts in this topic

http://wiki.industri...?title=Scaffold

>Scaffolds are easy to place construction helpers that are slightly unstable and need to be supported by other scaffolds below.

They are easy to set up / demolish AND act as ladders for reaching the building height easily.

i used to use this mod, was really helpful, will be even more so now that mud uses gravity :)

soooooooooo, exactly like the ones in Industrialcraft

Ya that is what he said. He even provided the link. It was intentional

Ya that is what he said. He even provided the link. It was intentional

...but help me follow the logic here...

He's saying he blatantly wants to copy a mod whose author is a massive tight-ass about copyright and people stealing his shit.

That's what I'm getting from this.

...is this SUPPOSED to be a bad idea?

Because it's fucking horrid.

I'm not saying it makes sense I'm just saying that is what he meant. As far as the idea goes besides the fact it has been in another mod it would fit in quite well however copying their idea certainly would be rather rude without some sort of permissions.

I'm not saying it makes sense I'm just saying that is what he meant. As far as the idea goes besides the fact it has been in another mod it would fit in quite well however copying their idea certainly would be rather rude without some sort of permissions.

the creator of industrialcraft is a real hardass. sorry, but I don't think we're getting scaffolds :(

Ya that doesn't suprise me. They aren't really necessary just nice to have. I suppose we really only need them for added stability and climbing. Any way you could let us climb horizontal supports or will we need to build short houses after the construction update.

While I do agree with EternalUndeath and dunk that stealing an idea would be....unwise, I still think scaffolding could be useful and could be differentiated from IndustrialCraft. After all, the creator of IndustrialCraft doesn't have sole ownership of the concept of scaffolding, unless he's a Time Lord. Here is a potential solution to 1) give us scaffolds, which I think are both awesome and incredibly useful, and 2) not infringe purported intellectual property rights.

Caveat: I realize there was another topic about this, but i am mortally a'fear'd of necromancy, so here we go.

You could make scaffolding fairly easily, by putting a saw in your crafting table with a plank. It would cut the plank into 2-4 weak scaffold platforms (not sure what a good balance would be). These platforms would have some grave limitations: they would be stupendously weak with next to no durability (think sand or glass), and they must rest on horizontal supports or else they cannot be placed. Therefore, your scaffolding itself would be vertical supports, with horizontal supports wherever you needed a platform, with these new platforms on top of the horizontal supports. You could break the platforms themselves in one hit, so it is quick and simple to move your platforms, but the support structure itself would be no different than vertical/horizontal supports are now. This would, I think, balance the conflicting considerations of utility and difficulty; further, it would be massively differentiated from IndustrialCraft's method (what with its reinforcing of the block with sticks, and simple design).

We could also use a way to place a ladder on vertical supports, or perhaps between two vertical supports, so that we could actually climb onto the scaffolding. Or we could just use wooden stairs, I'd be okay with that too.

...unless he's a Time Lord.

Alblaka?

I'm... actually not 100% sure on that...

Alblaka?

I'm... actually not 100% sure on that...

Sound Screwdriver in Minecraft is owned by Eloraam though.

Sound Screwdriver in Minecraft is owned by Eloraam though.

Sonic Screwdriver* and it is? I would like to see where it says that. Cool :P

EDIT: Interesting.... It said in my notifications that Eternal liked a post I made in this thread, and this being the only post I have made in this thread, he must've liked this one. But it doesn't say EternalUndeath likes this...

Here lets make this easy. Dunk is it possible to allow us to climb us vertical supports using ladders? Aka someway to climb horizontal supports. Dunk is it possible that we could place planks as almost flat half-blocks so we could put them on top of a vertical supports? Aka make an easy place, easy remove flat surface on top.

If so now we have what we need and we won't need to add any new items or make Time Lord/Dragon/Industrialist extremely angry. Questions, Comments, Concerns?

Sonic Screwdriver* and it is? I would like to see where it says that. Cool :P

Eloraam's mod, redpower, contains a sonic screwdriver that you can craft with a bluelectric battery, a brass ingot, and an emerald.

Eloraam's mod, redpower, contains a sonic screwdriver that you can craft with a bluelectric battery, a brass ingot, and an emerald.

I know that. That's not what I meant. I have played RP2 and I know how to craft a sonic screwdriver. I was asking for where it said that she owned the concept.

I know that. That's not what I meant. I have played RP2 and I know how to craft a sonic screwdriver. I was asking for where it said that she owned the concept.

She was the first to do it.

in terms of the modding community's rather informal rules, she owns the concept. Anyone else who makes a mod adding sonic screwdrivers to minecraft would be considered to be ripping off of Eloraam unless they made it SIGNIFICANTLY different

She was the first to do it.

in terms of the modding community's rather informal rules, she owns the concept. Anyone else who makes a mod adding sonic screwdrivers to minecraft would be considered to be ripping off of Eloraam unless they made it SIGNIFICANTLY different

Ok. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok. Sorry for the confusion.

lol ok

also woo for 1k likes :3

ripping off

How I hate this expression!!!

It will be considered ripping off, by little kids who doesn't know that there is NO actual DRM in modding, even more that there is no original idea just good ways of implementing.

Unfortunately that isn't true in the public eye. If something seems similar anyone will attack it. Remember the thread 'Rip-off' that certainly wasn't a copy but we all hated it at first. It isn't that we can't it is that we don't want to be attacked especially not by a Time Lord/Dragon/Industrialist.

Unfortunately that isn't true in the public eye.

Still, I hate it... its such a restrictive thinking, you can't evolve or repeat because someone have done it?

Remember the thread 'Rip-off' that certainly wasn't a copy but we all hated it at first.

: Yeah, i feel kinda bad about making that thread... i just felt like it would be good to tell you guys about that other mod...