Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
SteAStro88

Making Sticks from logs with hammer

20 posts in this topic

Is it possible to increase the number of sticks produced by smashing a log in the world with a hammer to something more than only 2? i think it is a too little number :) theorically if we split a log it is made by something like 50 sticks, maybe even 5 sticks made by smashing it are enough, 2 are way too little

I really think it's a weird use of this idea in the first place, I'd prefer another form of woodworking that would allow us to get more, maybe 10-12, 50 would be a little too convenient.

I really think it's a weird use of this idea in the first place, I'd prefer another form of woodworking that would allow us to get more, maybe 10-12, 50 would be a little too convenient.

oh well, there was a misunderstanding, i said that if you split precisely a log you will get about 50 sticks, but smashing it is not so accurate, with a hammer there is a big possibility to break some sticks so a number of 5 or 10 maximum is more consistent :) at the same time you will get a decent number of sticks without spending many time breaking leaves with your bare hands or wasting a metal using a scythe which a low tiers goes to break quickly

That feature only exists just to carve the middle part of a tree without chopping the whole up part too

I do agree that smashing a log with a hammer is a very strange way to get sticks. I feel that using an axe or knife would make more sense. Or maybe axe + plank or knife + plank.

I do agree that smashing a log with a hammer is a very strange way to get sticks. I feel that using an axe or knife would make more sense. Or maybe axe + plank or knife + plank.

Knife+placed log=5 sticks+1plank

well there are better ideas, but maybe it's better axe+plank, because i think it is difficult even with a really sharp knife to make a log into sticks.. it is required a tool that makes more strength on every hit xD

well there are better ideas, but maybe it's better axe+plank, because i think it is difficult even with a really sharp knife to make a log into sticks.. it is required a tool that makes more strength on every hit xD

It's actually easier with a knife. Set the knife on top of the wood you want to split (with the grain) and hit the back of the knife with a sturdy stick, or small log.

when i saw this feature in the change logs i was like "cool" but in practice i cant say its useful, punching leaves is necessary to get sapplings, that alone is enough leaf hitting to get plenty of sticks. not to mention hitting a log with a hammer is just well.... i dunno it just doesnt make sense! perhaps if you have a axe in your hotbar when you use your hammer... implying that your splitting the wood but you would normally do that without using a hammer ... so i dunno.

Yeah its strange but I did not want to give the axe/knife yet another use. And it somewhat reminded me of harvest moon. So there you have it.

Yeah its strange but I did not want to give the axe/knife yet another use. And it somewhat reminded me of harvest moon. So there you have it.

A WILD BIOXX APPEARED!!!! QUICK LEMME DIG OUT MY MASTER BALL BEFORE IT DISAPPEARS!!

Anyways, soo...... that's a no? It is a " I want to, but it would make the knife/axe OP?

A WILD BIOXX APPEARED!!!! QUICK LEMME DIG OUT MY MASTER BALL BEFORE IT DISAPPEARS!!

Anyways, soo...... that's a no? It is a " I want to, but it would make the knife/axe OP?

Luckily he said "yet".

Sticks from branches and sticks from logs are different. From branch they are more durable and flex. But i dont think theyre that too much differ to have separate stick types. Old loghomes use sticks as nails also so maybe giving em more use. Maybe 6 planks and 3 sticks to make 6 building blocks for walls, also adding sticks to support recipe would be more believable.

Had to add this= I have splitter in my shed, its a triangle with 2 rods on joint. You just tap it on log with hammer or axe's plunt head. Then just one good whack and it bends logs in half, even really big ones :) so maybe add that to use it like chisel,jammer combo :)

I think it won't happen because it would only make the early game easier.

Once you have metals, scythe pretty much solves the problem, in a few minutes and one scythe I was able to get ~5 full stacks of sticks. Why would you need more?

I would suggest trees to have branches separate like in fruit trees, so no more sticks from leaves. 1-4 sticks per branch, and no growing back.

Also for me scythe is more like harvest tool, Scythe what i have(i have 3 actually IRL) is something what i dont want use cutting braches :P

The only defect of the scythe is that you get few saplings than with your fists.

I think the hammer in a crafting square should produce 1 stick per log.

It takes way too long in-world with a hammer to smash logs for it to be worth the time.

I think the hammer in a crafting square should produce 1 stick per log.

It takes way too long in-world with a hammer to smash logs for it to be worth the time.

Or it works in a similar way to the pie. You place a log. When you hit it with a hammer, a slice disappears and becomes a stick. This can be made 6 times before destroying the log. If you mine a placed block, it gives you a half block with meta :1-2-3-4...depending on how many times you hit it.

I think sickle is more profient to collect sapling ? scytche basically used to cut down grass large areas, using it for tree is bad for the blade. Blade is quite thin and dulls fast, Even bushes like willows are hard to cut, so imagining to use it for frees.... not so much working. Yes it will cut leafs effectively, but not branches. and sickle is more finess tool so thick branch is a no go too... Of course you can snap them by hand so getting stick by punching is believable now at least :) And about 1 per log is quite useless, its like 5 sticks average on per tree ?

ed: maybe 1plank =1 stick, you get 8 planks from logs with saw :) but this kills getting em by leaves at later game because then you just make em from planks,,,

Yes it will cut leafs effectively, but not branches.

Luckily TFC trees don't have branches, only leaves, lots of leaves.