Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
manafusion

Sequoia Sapling

23 posts in this topic

Ok... So running in Build 65 and I found an interesting colored sapling sprouting out of nowhere. I broke it and found it was a Sequoia saplings. Last I remembered, these saplings were unable to be obtained through breaking of leaves (or so what I've read). Does this mean we can (sort of) exploit Sequoia tree planting?

If you don't understand what I mean... Exploiting as in building a 15 block pit deep and 3x3 block wide. Place all 9 blocks with dirt and then plant the sapling. Use ladder to climb out and wait for it to grow. Once it grows to it's fullest, break all the leaves for more saplings (hopefully, we get some or else tons of sticks).

Posted Image

Ok... So running in Build 65 and I found an interesting colored sapling sprouting out of nowhere. I broke it and found it was a Sequoia saplings. Last I remembered, these saplings were unable to be obtained through breaking of leaves (or so what I've read). Does this mean we can (sort of) exploit Sequoia tree planting?

If you don't understand what I mean... Exploiting as in building a 15 block pit deep and 3x3 block wide. Place all 9 blocks with dirt and then plant the sapling. Use ladder to climb out and wait for it to grow. Once it grows to it's fullest, break all the leaves for more saplings (hopefully, we get some or else tons of sticks).

I think the sapling is from the new feature and you still can't exploit them.

I think the sapling is from the new feature and you still can't exploit them.

Well, we won't know till B66. Saplings ain't growing until then... unless the code isn't fixed by then. (Read changelog and you will know.)

You're not going to get sequoia saplings from the leaves either way.

Though it could still provide a large source of wood if you can clear a forest and let it regrow, I don't know how often these saplings appear so I'm not sure how bad this would be.

For now, they don't grow due to a bug (which is fixed already but yet not released), so they are kind of useless :

However, i would imagine Bioxx would have made the Sequoia saplings grow into some really small sequoia trees (at least compared to natural ones), so you can't get a big sequoia trees to happen.

For now, they don't grow due to a bug (which is fixed already but yet not released), so they are kind of useless :

However, i would imagine Bioxx would have made the Sequoia saplings grow into some really small sequoia trees (at least compared to natural ones), so you can't get a big sequoia trees to happen.

Yeah, that is also possible but highly unlikely. The reason being that you never see a Sequoia that small. The growth height minimum is what you should be able to see in the wild. We need B66 to test it out either way. But I believe Sequoia tree should take at least 1 month in game to become a tree, since it IS a variable.

Trees now take a minimum of 7 in game days to grow from a sapling.

I think it was said by Bioxx or Dunk in one of the threads recently that they would be there but that they won't grow into the huge trees that world-generated ones are. I can't find the thread though... so maybe I dreamt that up.

Ugh, isn't that the worst, you go to bed thinking about what you did in TFC and you dream of awesomeness and wake up not sure if it was real or not?

I remember I dreamt I did a statistical mechanics assignment and then realised it was a dream on the day it was due. Bad day.

I can see these trees growing big but taking forever in game.

I can see these trees growing big but taking forever in game.

Exactly. This means that if you intend to wait for a Sequoia sapling to grow, you might as well build a castle in the sky (made out of smoothstones). This means that one can be deterred from creating a sort of Sequoia farm where Sequoia sapling grows from nowhere (due to B55). Also means that people will inevitably still go back to farming and making Willow (and other tree types) farm for their coal needs and other uses.

oh crap, i've planted a lot of those saplings u.u i can't believe they won't grow at all D:

oh crap, i've planted a lot of those saplings u.u i can't believe they won't grow at all D:

Yea I have a ton of saplings and none seem to grow... I stopped planting them haha. Guess we'll have to wait for build 65.

Yea I have a ton of saplings and none seem to grow... I stopped planting them haha. Guess we'll have to wait for build 65.

You Mean B66 :D

I don't know when is 65 came out. Maybe he posted before. Or he simply mistaken.

Yes you're right!

I don't know when is 65 came out. Maybe he posted before. Or he simply mistaken.

Yea it's out now, there was a little bit when the hosting was being switched that it rolled back and wasn't showing up.

Anyways, still excited for new build. I had a few rogue saplings sprout up in my house. Silly saplings!

Yea it's out now, there was a little bit when the hosting was being switched that it rolled back and wasn't showing up.

Anyways, still excited for new build. I had a few rogue saplings sprout up in my house. Silly saplings!

I was so disappointed when i realized that bone meal was no more able to grow saplings instantly like vanilla MC, but well, life can't be that easy D:

life can't be that easy D:

Right. This is a fun feature that delays the "I am the god, ruler of everything and creator of this awesome mine" mode in your world. Without this, this mod would be another tech...no, it would be the same a new minecraft, but different.

I have willow saplings and they grow... I think it's just some of them that are stuck still.

Right. This is a fun feature that delays the "I am the god, ruler of everything and creator of this awesome mine" mode in your world. Without this, this mod would be another tech...no, it would be the same a new minecraft, but different.

moreover this modification makes people more careful about the woods and forests because if you want to preserve them or get wood in future you have to plant at least the same amount of trees in saplings :)

Double posting for awareness. Sequoia saplings grow into Sequoia trees with 2x2 blocks per height. But height is still shorter than average Sequoia trees from the wilderness (but still friggin' tall).

EDIT: I made a mistake. Upon proper inspection, the real sapling is beside it, about 8 blocks away. Still playing to see what will happen.