Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vlad

Traveling cart

41 posts in this topic

Ever wanted to travel to a new location far away and take all your stuff with you? :o

The only way to do it right now it by traveling back and forth many times taking chest after chest :wacko:. Or if you have lots of iron (a really lot), you can place a rail, but it's too expansive and not early game accessible :angry:.

If you have played "Wurm Online" you can make a cart there, which acts like a huge chest that you can drag around, also you can hitch animals to a large cart and drive it then (we have bears and going to have horses too don't we?).

Posted ImagePosted Image

Moving:

Of course you can't go where ever you wan't with the cart, probably a limitation of a single block up and down with no jumping, and it will slow your speed a lot (maybe depending on the weight in the cart).

Crafting:

It's not the biggest problem and we can figure something out.

How about same as in wurm, first you make wheels from wood, then from wheels you make wheels on axle, and finally you combine it with the top (again some recipe from wood).

But what if I what to cross the ocean?

I guess there is now choice but adding ships as well :) (already suggested I know)

Posted Image

Same principle with crafting part by part.

I know it's not an easy change but it will be really cool if TFCraft would to adopt these Wurm vehicles. :lol:

What do you think?

Horses are in TFC's future, which will probably include saddlebags of some sort.

Horses are in TFC's future, which will probably include saddlebags of some sort.

Will they be as big as a chest?

Does this mean no carts?

Will they be as big as chest?

Does this mean no carts?

carts aren't very good at going up 1 metre cliffs....

I really like the idea of expanding travel mechanics in TFC. We have all of this metal, but only wooden boats that hold nothing but you?

I'm not suggesting metal boats, but maybe wooden boats larger in size and fortified with metal sheets. Possibly even defense/offense boats with spikes protruding from the sides and other neat things.

Anyone ever heard of the Steve's Carts 2 mod? I'm thinking this for boats, only less technological and more interactive.

well, a sudden one meter change in the landscape is not so very believable.

since it's minecraft, the only solution will be instant block jumping like with stairs.

I really like the idea of expanding travel mechanics in TFC. We have all of this metal, but only wooden boats that hold nothing but you?

I'm not suggesting metal boats, but maybe wooden boats larger in size and fortified with metal sheets. Possibly even defense/offense boats with spikes protruding from the sides and other neat things.

Anyone ever heard of the Steve's Carts 2 mod? I'm thinking this for boats, only less technological and more interactive.

This is only feasible if worlds become larger. If they do I'd love to see this happen. Bioxx wouldn't make worlds bigger because then people couldn't move around (something i don't agree is a problem) and he wont make more forms of transportation because the worlds are small enough to walk around. Maybe they could work together

This is only feasible if worlds become larger. If they do I'd love to see this happen. Bioxx wouldn't make worlds bigger because then people couldn't move around (something i don't agree is a problem) and he wont make more forms of transportation because the worlds are small enough to walk around. Maybe they could work together

Larger how? It's infinite. Larger height limit? it's big enough, just traveled 30min over the ocean.

Oh yeah !

I'd love to sail the sea on a big boat !

Making this boat my house, with an anchor you could settle in a bay and look around, and then go elsewhere, travelling all around the world....

Yes, i'm dreaming, but this wil be a great experience and a great journey to write and film :P

Oh yeah !

I'd love to sail the sea on a big boat !

Making this boat my house, with an anchor you could settle in a bay and look around, and then go elsewhere, travelling all around the world....

Yes, i'm dreaming, but this wil be a great experience and a great journey to write and film :P

Exactly, that is what you can do in Wurm, live on wheels :D.

It would be funny if you can store the ship inside the cart and the other way :P .

I agree with dunk, make the worlds larger, more diverse in each area, give us ways to traverse them with all our supplies, caravans, handcarts, buggies, all of it!

also I'd like massive sailing ships, but I'll stick with the land based stuff in my dreams for now.

But they would have no problem with perfectly chiseled stone roads. Am I the only one who loves the idea of surveying and engineering roads and bridges to connect communities for cart access?

But they would have no problem with perfectly chiseled stone roads. Am I the only one who loves the idea of surveying and engineering roads and bridges to connect communities for cart access?

that.... actually sounds good. Now that I think about it, it sounds REALLY good, because it limits the use of carts to predefined roads, as it did in real life. The Romans built MILES of roads throughout Europe to allow chariots to travel freely.

I think horseback will work for the wandering nomad, but forcing towns and cities to build bridges, roads and the like for trade seems really cool.

But first it has to be harder to carry things :/ a full inventory of ore is quite a lot already, so unless this changes (for example walking speed is proportional to carry capacity) it isn't a necessity to late game trade.

Larger how? It's infinite. Larger height limit? it's big enough, just traveled 30min over the ocean.

Currently they are 20000 blocks from zero coordinate both north and south. After that there's frozen wasteland where nothing will grow.

I have no problem travelling couple of thousands blocks from spawn point, especially since it's primarily ocean. Well, I have actually, it's navigation means from over there, but I wouldn't mind if world was bigger.

My server admin might be, but not me.

i wonder if a mincraft world is smaller or bigger then say Exodus on Wurm Online..

anyways, the Carts on pre-made roads is awesome idea :D

the "getting up 1 meter cliffs" maybe solved using the same idea as the sloped blocks found elsewhere (i'm sure you have all seen that mod) but you can make this a chisel mode.

i like the idea of better boats, i always hated the boat in minecraft, it felt wrong, at the very least it should be a hollowed out log canoe thing.

maybe increase the boats model size and put a sail on it, increase its speed or something(?) may mean including cotton as a grow able resource

If you add boats, they must be buildable instead of craftable. Way more customization.

Also, with the carts, the one server we were on we decided to move our base quit a long distance, and even with 5 of us, we left stuff behind because there was too much.

I just wanted to add that on the roads you might have to build something in a similar shape to a sluice and is required to be placed on a certain block... What was suggested? Chiseled stone? What ever you make it. That way you have a ramp to get up those 1 meter drops, which doesn't seem real... But sluices like that aren't a meter high in real life either... Whatever, this post is getting out of hand.... Main point: you have to create something to put on your roads in order to get up/down blocks.

Reading the lines underneath your posts... CAN YOU PLEASE TALK TO BIOXX ABOUT THIS? Ahh... I love this idea way to much. I too have found that connecting towns and getting around to move mass items, say for moving homes, is excessively difficult. Please post if you do talk to him about this!

If this is implemented, my giant building projects of stone bricks stretching for miles and miles will finally have a purpose. No more, will I be asked, "Why are you building that giant road?" by those who are uninitiated to the Minecraft experience, and I will fail to provide an answer no longer!

Wow. That was really dramatic.

that.... actually sounds good. Now that I think about it, it sounds REALLY good, because it limits the use of carts to predefined roads, as it did in real life. The Romans built MILES of roads throughout Europe to allow chariots to travel freely.

I think horseback will work for the wandering nomad, but forcing towns and cities to build bridges, roads and the like for trade seems really cool.

But first it has to be harder to carry things :/ a full inventory of ore is quite a lot already, so unless this changes (for example walking speed is proportional to carry capacity) it isn't a necessity to late game trade.

Gee, I wonder if anyone here has ever made a large post three times about that. Someone who really thought it through and has got no Dev feedback. Someone brave and courageous and, alright maybe a little too far, but seriously I'm sure you have seen the post before don't make me re-write it a fourth time and kill this thread too.

Edit: Here is the link just in case fourth post down. http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/2121-seed-pouch/page__st__20

Gee, I wonder if anyone here has ever made a large post three times about that. Someone who really thought it through and has got no Dev feedback. Someone brave and courageous and, alright maybe a little too far, but seriously I'm sure you have seen the post before don't make me re-write it a fourth time and kill this thread too.

Edit: Here is the link just in case fourth post down. http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/2121-seed-pouch/page__st__20

That post simultaneously scares the fucking shit out of me and excites me. That would have to be done very, very, VERY carefully. The main problem with that is with all that realism, what do you do with 1x1 meter building blocks like raw stone? Killing the stack function would make building far to tedious and not fun, but leaving it would make it proportionally unrealistic and weird... I think the inventory is fine. I still think roads could be needed, moving stuff long distances with our limited inventory is annoying. Mostly want to see ships though. Buildable ones. I want to live on a sailing ship! And have dugout canoes. That you actually have to paddle, not powered by magical rainbow farts.

I agree and since we are never going to reach true realism in this nor would I ever want to. We make it a little more believable rather than stuffing things down your pants everytime. You actually need to think about personally inventory management and how much inventory you need to carry out a certain task. I agree with the boats hopefully we can come up with something.

I've played a mod where there was no stacking in the inventory and a weight limit on things(I think in the end the player could carry about 10 cobblestone unassisted, still ridiculous but on the livable side of it), it was perfectly playable, eventually decided to install a carts mod just because I was fooling around with stuff. That's the thing though, limit us harshly and give us tools to break the limitations and it's much more enjoyable than just giving us that extra freedom from the beginning.

That post simultaneously scares the fucking shit out of me and excites me. That would have to be done very, very, VERY carefully. The main problem with that is with all that realism, what do you do with 1x1 meter building blocks like raw stone? Killing the stack function would make building far to tedious and not fun, but leaving it would make it proportionally unrealistic and weird... I think the inventory is fine. I still think roads could be needed, moving stuff long distances with our limited inventory is annoying. Mostly want to see ships though. Buildable ones. I want to live on a sailing ship! And have dugout canoes. That you actually have to paddle, not powered by magical rainbow farts.

Dude... I can't believe you just dissed on the magical rainbow farts! What do you think makes the cows and sheep jump up in down in one spot so much? They are hopped up on magical rainbow farts. And we all know what keeps Lucky the Leprachaun warm at night when he's all Dutch Oven up in his bed... magical rainbow farts!

I don't even know what to say other than I absolutely love the idea of carts... ships... and roads ready for commerce!!! Wooha!

I've played a mod where there was no stacking in the inventory and a weight limit on things(I think in the end the player could carry about 10 cobblestone unassisted, still ridiculous but on the livable side of it), it was perfectly playable, eventually decided to install a carts mod just because I was fooling around with stuff. That's the thing though, limit us harshly and give us tools to break the limitations and it's much more enjoyable than just giving us that extra freedom from the beginning.

That seems like a little much but I see what you are saying though definitely. This fits that perfectly that has been the TFC style from the beginning. The you don't get free handouts, work, accomplish, never be bored, kind of style I love it.

Edit: Dunk I saw you look at the thread, come on man, at least insult it.