Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Guest Blue_Beluga

The Feather Bed

38 posts in this topic

I think the bed system could be somewhat improved. The vanilla beds are fine to stay as they are, but a better alternative could be implemented.

The Structure

The feather bed would be a multi-block structure, requiring some new interesting blocks. The structure would consist of,

- Six Mattress blocks (made with wool and springs)

- Four Cloth Sheets (made with wool) (a tenth of a block tall)

- Two Pillows (made with feathers and wool) (half a block tall)

These would be arranged like you'd image (mattress on the bottom, then sheets and pillows on top)

The Functionality

Why all that effort? Well, unlike normal beds you'd be able to nap in the day, and skip the whole day. However if you take a nap, you can't sleep at night. You'd also be able to sleep for small periods of time, not just a whole night/day.

The Nerf

Crops would not grow whilst sleeping in a featherbed, however food would be cooked and ores smelted etc.

Tell me what you think in the comments! Feel free to contribute:)

ehhhh..... idk man.

Feather beds will probably be added but be much more natural and smaller.

I think beds in general are being slightly nerfed, so you might get a fur bed roll to begin with and feather beds with wooden frames will be late game things.

They'll be a symbol of wealth on a server but won't do anything extra.

I think beds in general are being slightly nerfed, so you might get a fur bed roll to begin with and feather beds with wooden frames will be late game things.

fur bed rolls would be awesome, night's watch style :D

- Six Mattress blocks (made with wool and springs)

- Four Cloth Sheets (made with wool) (a tenth of a block tall)

- Two Pillows (made with feathers and wool) (half a block tall)

That's a damn big bed you have right there.

The Functionality

Why all that effort? Well, unlike normal beds you'd be able to nap in the day, and skip the whole day. However if you take a nap, you can't sleep at night. You'd also be able to sleep for small periods of time, not just a whole night/day.

The Nerf

Crops would not grow whilst sleeping in a featherbed, however food would be cooked and ores smelted etc.

But then why would you want that? I also don't think that your nerf for featherbeds is easy to do because of the way crops growth code is.

Bed ideas:

Leaf beds: A jumble of leaves obtained from leaf blocks and when leaves fall in the fall. By right-clicking with a leaf, you can place a leaf block. After putting in 32 leaves, the leaf pile would become a half block. When two leaf blocks of half or less amount are next to each other, they become a leaf bed block with a meta-value equal to their size. By right-clicking on it, you can sleep for 1/4 of the night. You also take some damage from being uncomfortable all night. They also blow away after being slept on.

Feather Beds: Chickens drop around 10-20 feathers. Same way to make as leaf beds, but uses half as many materials. By right-clicking on it, you can sleep for 1/3 of the night. Again, blows away after being slept on.

Wool Bed: Created by placing two wool blocks. Then you can right click on it to sleep on it. Allows you to sleep for 1/2 of the night. Then they are trampled and turned into half wool blocks. By adding half a wool to it, (Right-click with wool consumes half of the wool's damage value) you can turn it back to a full wool block.

Mattress: Created by putting leather in a circle with a needle and thread (craft two wooden shards by putting 1 stick and a knife in the CT)(craft 1 thread by placing a wool in the CT)(craft a needle and thread by placing said items together in the CT) in the middle in the CT. By playing a sewing game and using up all of the needle and thread but one use, you can make a mattress. The better you do, the more you can use a bed made out of it.

Leaf Mattress: Created by placing 64 leaves in a CT along with a mattress and needle and thread. This uses up 1 NaT use. Can be slept in for the full night. Smallest amount of uses of all mattresses.

Wool Mattress: Created by placing 2 wool in a CT along with NaT. Uses up 1 NaT use. Can be slept in for the full night or half of the day. Medium amount of uses.

Feather Mattress: Place 32 feathers in the CT along with the norm. Same effect to the NaT as the others. Can be slept in for the full night or day. Large amount of uses.

Spring Mattress: Place 8 of the hard to weld springs in the CT along with the normal mattress stuffing to get a variant of said mattress. It now recovers some health as you sleep. Infinite uses.

Bed Frame: Made using planks. First craft a holder.(Use a circle of planks with 4 wooden shards in the middle) Then craft that along with at least one horizontal support beams (The more beams, the more uses) four vertical support beams, a head-board/foot-board if wanted, and 4+2x (x = the number of horizontal supports/(foot/head)-boards) wooden shards.

King Bed Frame: 4 holders in a square with 5 wooden shards anywhere else for a king holder. Then craft a king holder, at least four support beams (Same as above) 6 verticle support beams, a king head-board/king foot-board if wanted, and 6+2x(same as above) wooden shards.

Bed iders:

Wet Beds: When a bed is rained on or touches water, it gets the "wet" meta-data. You can not sleep on wet beds and it takes one full day of dry weather for it to become dry.

saw this, immediately could not take the rest of the post seriously

saw this, immediately could not take the rest of the post seriously

Are you serious? i readed "iders" and didn't even bothered in reading the rest :

Dunk, can you tell we really like this idea? bed rolls please!!

Hey, my ideas are pretty good! READ THE REST!!!

p.s. Wet beds was just a random idea.

p.p.s. the iders thing was because i wrote it to be funny

p.p.p.s READ THE REST!!!

Okay, okay, mum... ¬3¬

EDIT: Okay, here we go.

Leaf beds: A jumble of leaves obtained from leaf blocks and when leaves fall in the fall. By right-clicking with a leaf, you can place a leaf block. After putting in 32 leaves, the leaf pile would become a half block. When two leaf blocks of half or less amount are next to each other, they become a leaf bed block with a meta-value equal to their size. By right-clicking on it, you can sleep for 1/4 of the night. You also take some damage from being uncomfortable all night. They also blow away after being slept on.

I don't understand how you get he leaves... "when leaves fall in the fall"? what? But i guess you can get them by breaking leaves blocks from any tree (and let's not make it tree specific unless we plan on using them for potions or something like that, 'cause we really don't need more inventory clusters...).

Other than that, sounds good.

Feather Beds: Chickens drop around 10-20 feathers. Same way to make as leaf beds, but uses half as many materials. By right-clicking on it, you can sleep for 1/3 of the night. Again, blows away after being slept on.

Feathers are even smaller than leaves are... shouldn't it take even MORE feathers to make a feather bed than it takes leaves to make a leaves bed?

Wool Bed: Created by placing two wool blocks. Then you can right click on it to sleep on it. Allows you to sleep for 1/2 of the night. Then they are trampled and turned into half wool blocks. By adding half a wool to it, (Right-click with wool consumes half of the wool's damage value) you can turn it back to a full wool block.

Instead of adding a "half wool block" item, why don't we make it so right clicking to restore the bed takes the entire wool block? I mean, after use, the wool blocks become half wool blocks, which would be (if they were in top of each other) basically 1 wool block. Therefore, adding nother wool block makes a little more sense.

Also, this bed in special should consume your thrist. A lot of it. Being wool so warm, you will start to transpirate, and you will become thristy afterwards.

Mattress: Created by putting leather in a circle with a needle and thread (craft two needles by putting 1 stick and a knife in the CT)(craft 1 thread by placing a wool in the CT)(craft a needle and thread by placing said items together in the CT) in the middle in the CT. By playing a sewing game and using up all of the needle and thread but one use, you can make a mattress. The better you do, the more you can use a bed made out of it.

Needles should be made out of bone, there is a reason why they where made out of bone in the past...

One wool, one thread? it should give you a lot more than that. Remember we are talking about 1m3 of wool here. At least 12, so we don't have to mass murder sheeps...

One piece of leather makes a mattress, huh. Those cows sure have a LOT of skin for one little bit of it being enough for a f+cking mattress. 8 pieces of leather per piece, and then crafting together 4 pieces and the needle and thread. Gives much more space for mistake, takes the player much more time, and there is a wider range of possible results; therefore, it's more challenging for the player, and gives more time for him to practice, so the minigame can be mastered if the player spents a decent amount of time training. Sewing should not only be used for mattress, but for other things as well, namely leather armor, but there is other things too. But yeah, this way, sewing will need it's own thread (which i think already exists).

Leaf Mattress: Created by placing 64 leaves in a CT along with a mattress and needle and thread. This uses up 1 NaT use. Can be slept in for the full night. Smallest amount of uses of all mattresses.

The crafting table does not account for the amount of items in the stack. Make the Mattress placeable, and throw the stack of leaves there, and then, if you have the NaT item in your hand, it will create the leaf mattress; otherwise, it won't.

Using the needle and thread shouldn't take durability damage from it, but instead consume thread from the inventory.

Wool Mattress: Created by placing 2 wool in a CT along with NaT. Uses up 1 NaT use. Can be slept in for the full night or half of the day. Medium amount of uses.

Using the needle and thread shouldn't take durability damage from it, but instead consume thread from the inventory.

Feather Mattress: Place 32 feathers in the CT along with the norm. Same effect to the NaT as the others. Can be slept in for the full night or day. Large amount of uses.

The crafting table does not account for the amount of items in the stack. Make the Mattress placeable, and throw the stack of leaves feathers there, and then, if you have the NaT item in your hand, it will create the leaf feather mattress; otherwise, it won't.

Spring Mattress: Place 8 of the hard to weld springs in the CT along with the normal mattress stuffing to get a variant of said mattress. It now recovers some health as you sleep. Infinite uses.

If you are gonna give limited uses to the beddings, then don't place one with infinite uses. Springs can break, so it's not infinite. Really high, in any case.

Single ingot/double ingot, specific metal/s, amount achieved per welding? You gotta tell us this details, it's not enough with "hard to weld".

Why is a bedding that's supposedly not the better one the harder and expensiver one to make?

Bed Frame: Made using planks. First craft a holder.(Use a circle of planks with 4 wooden shards in the middle) Then craft that along with at least one horizontal support beams (The more beams, the more uses) four vertical support beams, a head-board/foot-board if wanted, and 4+2x (x = the number of horizontal supports/(foot/head)-boards) wooden shards.

How you make wooden shards?

How you make head-boards?

How you make foot-boards?

Other than aesthetics, what's the point of making it?

Is it really that hard to understand that the crafting table does not account for the amount of items in the stacks?

King Bed Frame: 4 holders in a square with 5 wooden shards anywhere else for a king holder. Then craft a king holder, at least four support beams (Same as above) 6 verticle support beams, a king head-board/king foot-board if wanted, and 6+2x(same as above) wooden shards.

How you make king head-boards?

How you make king foot-boards?

Other than aesthetics, what's the point of making it?

Is it really that hard to understand that the crafting table does not account for the amount of items in the stacks?

There, answered your whole post, happy now?

Sry...

just saying

Beds are used to set a spawn. Literally thats all they are currently for and all i can ever see them doing.(oh and skipping the night, something useful for the first few days) adding or reducing additional mechanics does not fit without redundancy, Overpowered abilities, or making it entirely useless.

I think the whole of this discussion shows the need for a sewing machine, for woolworking

Loom, you mean? (just one example)

yeah sewing machines sure as HELL won't be added. Don't suggest anything electrical guys...

spinning wheel and loom would be awesome

One or the other, for functionality. Later down the road I can see the devs getting it on with a dozen or so variants of 'the work bench'

does the same damned thing, looks entirely different. Why? Because ascetics.

Except Bioxx and dunk would make unique workstations, unlike most minecraft mods that just add another 3x3 or 4x4 or whatever we could have more things like the anvil, things where you can actually see a justification for why there's a different work area(I'd hope)

I think we were assuming textiles and some form of tailoring would make their way in eventually to TFC, but idk how at all.

the part of weaving could be done similair to the stone shaping, you'd place wool in much larger quantities, shape it into a cloth or fabric thats commonly used to create stuff, and have a GUI to fit stuff like Sails, sheets, i dont know how many other shapes and ideas, in there, in which you can only remove blocks like with stone, which'd create a basic item (like with stone axe heads) that needs to be processed (leaving this part open to suggestion) into the actual product, like processing a piece of sail with other pieces of sail, creates a fullblown sail, which could fit on a raft (like the one in my naval suggestions thread) and would be placed like the Sluice, single block of inventory (or more), transforming into a bigger item,

(probably going to get shot to pieces over this :D)

We really don't even necesesarily need a full blown spinning wheel. Just a blob of clay on the end of a stick to make a primitive spindle.

werent we getting straw from the grain plants at some point ?

so straw beds would be luxury along with furs/ skins and eventually blanckets made from filting wool

as a starter bed well a hide on the ground from your first hunt might work gathering leafs for a bed sounds more like a monkey/gorilla thing all thou we are in the stone age from day 1

so far i dont see an issue with vanilla beds at the current moment other than them being op by letting you avoid monsters fairly easy untill you find a spot to settle