Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
XHawk87

Running with Javelins

17 posts in this topic

Currently javelins will slow you down as you draw them, and take as long to draw and fire as a bow, but this is not at all like how javelins work. It just feels wrong. A javelin is a weapon that is typically hurled while running, it would be awesome if the game mechanics reflected that.

Here is an example of how it could work:

• You have complete freedom of movement while drawing the javelin, allowing you to run, sprint, stand, strafe etc
  • You cannot fire until the javelin is fully drawn, its simply not possible to hurl a javelin until you're ready to hurl it
  • Your speed in the direction of the throw is added to the base javelin speed, making it go further and hit harder for more damage
This suggestion is purely to change the behaviour of javelins not to affect their balance, make them over-powered or nerf them. I just think the bow should be bow-like in behaviour and the javelin should be javelin-like.

I don't think that's entirelly true. Running and throwing javelins is hard to do at the same time and what you suggest would allow for running backwards and throwing a javelin which doesn't make any sense.

What could be done, would be that throwing a jevelin would be possible while charging, adding to the power of the throw taking control from the player for a slipt second and forcing him to come to a hold in the moment of the throw for another to retain balance.

I saw a program the other day about spear hunters. They clearly ran after the kudu and threw their javelins at it mid-stride.

Currently javelins will slow you down as you draw them, and take as long to draw and fire as a bow, but this is not at all like how javelins work. It just feels wrong. A javelin is a weapon that is typically hurled while running, it would be awesome if the game mechanics reflected that.

Here is an example of how it could work:

• You have complete freedom of movement while drawing the javelin, allowing you to run, sprint, stand, strafe etc
  • You cannot fire until the javelin is fully drawn, its simply not possible to hurl a javelin until you're ready to hurl it
  • Your speed in the direction of the throw is added to the base javelin speed, making it go further and hit harder for more damage
This suggestion is purely to change the behaviour of javelins not to affect their balance, make them over-powered or nerf them. I just think the bow should be bow-like in behaviour and the javelin should be javelin-like.

Sorrily, even if you tried not to affect balance, you did. Right now, you need around 20 arrows for taking down a zombie; meanwhile, 2 or 3 javelins will do. This by itself is already a big advantage to the javelins, to the point they are used even when you have reached red/blue steel due to their power and ranged attack. If you take out the debuff in movement the javelin has when being charged, you have pretty much the ultimate weapon, which you can make simply by putting a rock on top of a stick. If you ALSO add the movement speed of the character to the movement speed of the javelin (which, for the record, i think it's a good idea, but not in the way you suggest it...), you have a localized nuclear bomb-like device, which again, can be made in stone age quite easily.

It may sounds like a debuff, but actually, not being able to throw it if not fully charged is a buff: not only you can cancel a shot by stop holding left click (something that always bugged me about bows...), but you won't fire the javelin until it's charged to the max, which means, you won't waste more javelins than you do need due to firing a javelin before it's fully drawn. This makes the javelin not only overpowered, but a weapon completely bannable in servers due to it's overpowerness (making up words again), that AGAIN, can be made in stone age.

Welcome BTW.

But do you mean running when holding javelins or running when they're in a sort of quiver?

Because it's not a wise thing running when holding javelins...you can die for this.

But do you mean running when holding javelins or running when they're in a sort of quiver?

Because it's not a wise thing running when holding javelins...you can die for this.

"Now you know it, kids, never run when holding javelins, or you will suffer a horrible and painful death!"

"Sir, why you host this program again?"

"NO ONE DARED TO TELL ME NOT TO, NOW GET THE F+CK OUT OF MY LAWN!"

*Again, pulls out shotgun. Again, the kids run away screaming like little girls. Again, even those who weren't girls*

"Now you know it, kids, never run when holding javelins, or you will suffer a horrible and painful death!"

"Sir, why you host this program again?"

"NO ONE DARED TO TELL ME NOT TO, NOW GET THE F+CK OUT OF MY LAWN!"

*Again, pulls out shotgun. Again, the kids run away screaming like little girls. Again, even those who weren't girls*

Now I am the person worried of your sanity...

Now I am the person worried of your sanity...

Who said i had one? :]

Who said i had one? :]

Yeah, then I'm no longer worried. Ah sir, you should see the kids that you mentioned before...still running ahahah!

EDIT: But...if you are insane, how can you make sane posts? And you have an infinite+1 number of heads in your closet, are you saying that not even a head has a sane brain?

Sorrily, even if you tried not to affect balance, you did. Right now, you need around 20 arrows for taking down a zombie; meanwhile, 2 or 3 javelins will do. This by itself is already a big advantage to the javelins, to the point they are used even when you have reached red/blue steel due to their power and ranged attack. If you take out the debuff in movement the javelin has when being charged, you have pretty much the ultimate weapon, which you can make simply by putting a rock on top of a stick. If you ALSO add the movement speed of the character to the movement speed of the javelin (which, for the record, i think it's a good idea, but not in the way you suggest it...), you have a localized nuclear bomb-like device, which again, can be made in stone age quite easily.

It may sounds like a debuff, but actually, not being able to throw it if not fully charged is a buff: not only you can cancel a shot by stop holding left click (something that always bugged me about bows...), but you won't fire the javelin until it's charged to the max, which means, you won't waste more javelins than you do need due to firing a javelin before it's fully drawn. This makes the javelin not only overpowered, but a weapon completely bannable in servers due to it's overpowerness (making up words again), that AGAIN, can be made in stone age.

Welcome BTW.

Simple solution is to nerf it's damage down to half, then with running speed add-on it bumps it back to it's original damage. This means idiots need to learn when to take the javs out for a spin or else they are gonna make themselves die easier (running into a mob? sorry son, you gotta retry again).

An issue with this might be when you are using the Javs as a Spear / Pole-arm instead. When you are running up and hitting the zombie with the end instead of throwing it. So im against nerfing the whole damage of the jav. Maybe Nerf the throwing damage a bit when standing still but to nerf the standing still left click attack damage would make it almost as efficient as your hands.

I'd be quite happy if the damage remains as it is as long as you can run and throw.

I'd be very happy to see the damage of bows increased to be an viable upgrade from javelins (i'm almost certain bioxx is gonna do this)

Damage of weapons should take from a standard stat based on type of weapon then modified by metals 'weight' and 'effective use' and the players 'limb' modifiers.

then we could do away with this whole bullshit over 'nerf this, buff that' because its based on your materials, skill as a smith, and skill as a combatant. Headshots should count for something. the only balance that would need to be stuck from then on is movement penalties(on both swing and foot travel)

I think this thread addresses the jav's movement rather nicely.

Thanks for all the great comments. I liked several I thought made good points. Especially suggestions how to bring balance to the proposed change.

I would like to address Pakislav's point about running backwards with javelins.

I don't think that's entirelly true. Running and throwing javelins is hard to do at the same time and what you suggest would allow for running backwards and throwing a javelin which doesn't make any sense.

Since the motion speed is added to the javelins speed, if you're running backwards you're actually making the throw weaker and less damaging, which is realistic. It would require players to run towards their target to get a decently powered throw, which is not something you would always want to be doing.

I did mean while drawn and ready to throw, and as dunkleosteus and I have already pointed out, a javelin is a weapon that is intended to be thrown while running.

Sorrily, even if you tried not to affect balance, you did. Right now, you need around 20 arrows for taking down a zombie; meanwhile, 2 or 3 javelins will do.

It sounds like its the bow that has the problem really. I mean seriously, 20 arrows to kill a zombie?

This by itself is already a big advantage to the javelins, to the point they are used even when you have reached red/blue steel due to their power and ranged attack. If you take out the debuff in movement the javelin has when being charged, you have pretty much the ultimate weapon, which you can make simply by putting a rock on top of a stick. If you ALSO add the movement speed of the character to the movement speed of the javelin (which, for the record, i think it's a good idea, but not in the way you suggest it...), you have a localized nuclear bomb-like device, which again, can be made in stone age quite easily.

A javelin is a stone-age weapon, it just needs to be brought into balance with other weapons, but it really should be more javelin-like, which is my point. As for the recipe, I don't see why there shouldn't be a spear-head you need to make through knapping to build a javelin, and you could create better spear-heads later using metals. Javelins were used well into the medieval era.

Welcome BTW.

Thanks.

Well, in the latest updates to the upcoming b67 changelog it looks like javelins are getting nerfed and arrows are getting buffed.

Well, in the latest updates to the upcoming b67 changelog it looks like javelins are getting nerfed and arrows are getting buffed.

Which means javs are gonna be quite useless compared to making knifes to fight with.

I hope they don't take it that far, but bows definitely need a buff, and javelins could cope with a nerf. I just really hope they make javelins behave more like javelins. I would definitely use them if I could remain mobile, and use proper skirmish tactics like a real javelineer. That would be fantastic.