Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
platanusoccidentalis

Coppicing

39 posts in this topic

Me, being into horticulture was reading one of my gardening books a few nights ago and realized something: why don't we have coppicing in TFC? Coppicing is the process of cutting a tree to the ground for it's wood, letting it grow back, and then a number of years later, going and gathering that tree's wood again. According to Wikipedia, the use of coppicing goes back to the times of King Henry the VIII, where the process helped fuel iron production. I feel that the addition of something like this to the mod would help increase wood production, hence increasing the ease of making charcoal in large amounts. (which I find overly strenuous) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppicing

i will read the full post including link before posting something stupid

....I feel you misunderstand me, instead of having to break the leaves off of twenty trees, simply cut them to the base and allow them to regrow. <.<

There's another thread on this somewhere, not sure if it was posted by you, it's an interesting idea, but it'd go along with changes to how trees work as a whole, you should check one of those threads out.

that thread had some information towards the end that may interest you

did you even bother to take a look at the wiki article killster? maybe you should...

edited *facepalm* i can be so retarded at 2 am sometimes, and suddenly i get a bright idea alongside my retardedness :D

Me, being into horticulture was reading one of my gardening books a few nights ago and realized something: why don't we have coppicing in TFC? Coppicing is the process of cutting a tree to the ground for it's wood, letting it grow back, and then a number of years later, going and gathering that tree's wood again. According to Wikipedia, the use of coppicing goes back to the times of King Henry the VIII, where the process helped fuel iron production. I feel that the addition of something like this to the mod would help increase wood production, hence increasing the ease of making charcoal in large amounts. (which I find overly strenuous) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppicing

I like very much this idea. I would it implemented, but I'm not sure if it's possible. Also I want to add that you can make this only with a saw, because the axe doesn't cut well, it breaks some log, instead the saw can do the thing that is in the wiki. Also another thing, bigger trees should regrow slower and you should leave more wood (IE if you chop down a sequoia, you can't leave olìnly 1 log, because sequoias can't grow from it, or at least a little sequoia grows), instead the little trees grow faster and you can leave at least 1 log.

This will require additional roots block to be added to work properly, or else we can place log somewhere at it will shoot, which is not good at all.

Edit:

I will never look at faggots and suckers the same way again.

This will require additional roots block to be added to work properly, or else we can place log somewhere at it will shoot, which is not good at all.

I agree. The root blocks would be a fine addition. But I'm not sure that it's true that a log placed by a player would do that. If I place a log at the bottom of the trees without base in B66, when I later cut the log I placed only it is broken and the script that normally 'falls' the tree doesn't trigger. So this trigger doesn't have to be trigger from logs placed by the player either.

I agree. The root blocks would be a fine addition. But I'm not sure that it's true that a log placed by a player would do that. If I place a log at the bottom of the trees without base in B66, when I later cut the log I placed only it is broken and the script that normally 'falls' the tree doesn't trigger. So this trigger doesn't have to be trigger from logs placed by the player either.

Root blocks could be like clay...same texture as dirt but its not dirt...

Root blocks could be like clay...same texture as dirt but its not dirt...

Do you mean a clay block that at the place of clay has root? It would be very cool, very very cool. And if you break too many of them under a still alive tree, it can fall or die. With die I mean that all the leaves start disappearing and the wood starts rotting.

It would be cool to have a house made of roots and naturally gornw trees :P

It would be cool to have a house made of roots and naturally gornw trees :P

Hmm yeah, yeah cool but difficult, very difficult. It would be easier to have a house in a sequoia, because it's only a tree and it's large.

This would be cool, a house inside a sequoia...

Why difficult? Just dig the dirt from below the roots which will act like a roof that isn't affected by gravity.

Why difficult? Just dig the dirt from below the roots which will act like a roof that isn't affected by gravity.

I meant irl, but now I understand that you meant below the tree. I thought that you meant a root house in the surface...

A good idea as conceived maybe, but as I mentioned in the other thread that talked about it, the cost-benefit analysis doesn't look good.

It would require a complete rewrite to trees and saplings. Dunk is already rewriting trees to grow better, but if he's not rewriting it in such a way that this would be possible then he's really not going to want to do it all over again.

The second point is that coal is already really easy to come by. With trees now sprouting on their own, forests regrow rapidly, and spread into regions without forests just as fast. In some sense then, the industrial benefit of coppiccing is already built into TFC. For the worlds I've had with the sprouts working, I can't possibly keep up with it. Just the trees sprouting up around my cabin alone provide me with more coal than I could possibly ever use. So much that every few days I have to run around killing tree saplings so they don't overgrow everything (I'm hoping this will be slowed).

IRL coppiccing made sense. In TFC its value is provided by other means, and introducing functionally would require breaking things that exist. So the cost is quite high and the actual benefit approaches zero. That makes this idea purely cosmetic.

While not a bad idea in theory this idea also approaches the end of our timeframe. King Henry didn't reign until the 15 hundreds, when they already had gunpowder and the industrial revolution was preparing to start.

Another problem is coppicing doesn't make trunks it makes shoots which never really got that thick. We would need a new block to show this. I suppose we could use a leaf block also.

What is basically proposed within boundaries of our current tree mechanics is that unchopped stumps will sprout leaf blocks up of them. I think in about time required to grow a tree those should form a normal tree unless you keep it shaved. But as of right now - do we really need even more sticks? I guess, if tree didn't give you saplings, you could leave stump and eventually collect sapling from it. Maybe bush fencing for decoration as well.

But I'd wait to see what trees overhaul will bring first and discuss possible tweaks then.

it shouldnt be a ful lleaf block, just a chiseled down variant of it :D

In reply to Puxapuak, I feel that while this may be a useless feature for people who play alone, it is not useless in general, I feel you are overlooking the fact that the more people there are in an area, such as on servers with even just three people - the cutting of trees goes up significantly for clearing of land for homes, building homes, etc. Therefore, I feel that while you make a good point, I feel that this is not just a cosmetic benefit, however, I could be quite wrong indeed because I do not know anything about the current design of trees in the mod or where they are headed (in terms of scripting). Additionally, I feel you should realize that many people are constrained spatially - they build homes in the mountains or on islands - in these places, there is not a large area of land to be left alone to grow wild and then be cut. I hope you take this as a critique of your view and not a personal attack. Thanks for looking at my topic!

I meant irl, but now I understand that you meant below the tree. I thought that you meant a root house in the surface...

The roots could be very hard to dig...you'd need some sort of tool...not an axe but not a shovel...

The roots could be very hard to dig...you'd need some sort of tool...not an axe but not a shovel...

Yes, but there are 2 types of roots:

-The root that you can see, it's above the ground level and it's a strong root. Difficult to mine.

Something like this:

Posted Image

-The root that you can't see, it's below the ground level and it's easier to mine. You can find them at the end of the big roots.

Like these, but obviously below a tree.

Posted Image

I really like this idea regarding roots - one could make an elf village with this. :D

Yes, but there are 2 types of roots:

-The root that you can see, it's above the ground level and it's a strong root. Difficult to mine.

Something like this:

Posted Image

-The root that you can't see, it's below the ground level and it's easier to mine. You can find them at the end of the big roots.

Like these, but obviously below a tree.

Posted Image

Regardless, we still need a to figure out a way to acquire these roots...