Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
puxapuak

Increasing the believability and satisfaction of mining

136 posts in this topic

You can discuss of everything, but Bioxx doesn't want suggestions for the Propick. Then, until you don't suggest it, you can suggest what you want...apart NPCs...

Well this whole thread is talking about suggestions for mining, and in part, pro-picks.

Well this whole thread is talking about suggestions for mining, and in part, pro-picks.

Aggh, ok, but I advice you to not suggest something about propicks. Feel free, obviously, to continue talking about mining and everything you want, but no propicks. Also, I'm not scolding you, but yours is the first post in whichI found the propick word. :)

Now all my 2 posts have that word :P

It's in the OP too silly! And most people actually ask for an easier pro-pick. These suggestion make a little harder I think.

this suggestion is a rework from the ground up of geology, mining, and as a result the tools necessary to work in the new environment. this is not asking for a change to the propick, it is asking for a replacement.

The only cange to the pro pick I'd suggest would be it giving you the name of the type of stone you use it on.

about the "prospector's pick" my suggestion is to substitute it or introduce the "resonance's pick"

that based on the noise (here add a sound that is most acute in relation to the distance) of the pick identifies the "real" direction (not the magnitude) of the vein but obviously not the type of material but initially only the direction (while keeping false negatives only) and if the pick is more valuable could also detect the type of material and lowering the percentage of false negatives.

What do you think? (tell me if I asked for the moon)

zed, in response to your now twice-threaded negativity on the Propick, READ:

and also, there is NOTHING wrong with it, it just needs skill to use :D

There won't be any immediate indication of "real" direction, I tell you that.

And there probably won't be sound indicators, because while different rocks sound different when hit, you won't really hear the difference immediately, and balancing pitches is work unbalanced with amount of gain.

my suggestion is to ADD a new pick for searching ores and NOT to boycott the propick (though I find it absurd that a block reveals "very large vein" and immediately next reveals "nothing relevant") anyway my idea is to make more rich the tools for the searching ores activity.

There won't be any immediate indication of "real" direction, I tell you that.

And there probably won't be sound indicators, because while different rocks sound different when hit, you won't really hear the difference immediately, and balancing pitches is work unbalanced with amount of gain.

the "real" direction of the vein is based on the knowledge of the various sounds that each ores produces so it takes experience to hear any kind of sound and especially the tone of the sound that indicates the proximity I know it is a huge job if you want to differentiate each sound for each ore but this introduce a your real sense.

zed, you're a caveman, you hammer a rock with a metal pickaxe in the middle of a monster infested world, how the hell are you going to be sonar accurate with the tiniest bit of a sound?

remember, when making a suggestion, BELIEVABILITY goes in front of Realism by kilometres, but balance and believeability work together, your idea has NEITHER, its just a overpowered, unbelievable sonar pick :D

when i digging i'm not in a cave but I'm underground in absolute silence, this is realism!!! the monsters are a obvious minecraft fantasy.

and congratulations "sonar" pick is a good way to give the name to my pick makes good idea.

zed, first of all, ALL hostile minecraft mobs right now are going to be moved underground and be replaced by natural predators.

second, the term REALISM will get you a lot of animosity on these forums, the mod is about believability, is it possible, not realism, is it like this IRL

thirdly, the sonar pick will NEVER happen, its simply too overpowered, even if it were codeable.

zed, first of all, ALL hostile minecraft mobs right now are going to be moved underground and be replaced by natural predators.

second, the term REALISM will get you a lot of animosity on these forums, the mod is about believability, is it possible, not realism, is it like this IRL

thirdly, the sonar pick will NEVER happen, its simply too overpowered, even if it were codeable.

I'm happy to know that the stupid vanilla mobs will be replaced by natural predators (maybe you meant REAL predators ahahaha)

and you wonder what there is more believable than the reality?

perhaps I did not understand what you mean by believable and real? are not synonymous?

excuse my insistence but I want just to dream ...

Dear Zed,

You're an idiot...

When using a prospector's pick, you are collecting and examining a sample of that rock. Based on what you find in that rock sample you are able to make some conjectures as to what lies nearby. However, sometimes the sample you collect, does not display the characteristics of nearby ore, which is why you receive false negatives. False positives do not exist because if you discover signs of copper nearby then there is surely copper nearby unless that sample had been placed there by someone else, which simply would not happen in a TFC world. Hopefully this explains the reasoning behind the prospector's pick in a way which makes it more understandable for you.

Now about your sonar pick...

You see, Zed, when modern humans employ sonar, they require highly advanced electronic equipment in order to emit the proper vibrations into the ground as well as to read the returning vibrations. Not only that, but a great deal of study is required in order to be able to properly analyze the data obtained from such a measurement. I implore you to think upon the technology available to mankind before 1600 BC and this should clear up any notions you've had concerning sonar.

Sincerely,

Ditto

The Official Forum Badass

P.S. Welcome to TFC.

i get the slight feeling his english skills might not be up to par in order to properly get your statements ditto, also, how come you get a official forum badass title but im still stuck as the novice blacksmith :(

i get the slight feeling his english skills might not be up to par in order to properly get your statements ditto, also, how come you get a official forum badass title but im still stuck as the novice blacksmith :(

Dunk gave him the title. :) You asked for a title, Dunk refused (the first time that has ever happened..no hard feelings).

Dunk awarded me the title after I behaved with the utmost dignity in the face of his depression-induced rage.

You have made plenty of contributions to the forums; ask Dunk if you can have a special title.

Edit: Didn't know you already asked. Dunk may have been in a bad mood that day? Who knows...

hmm yea, i guess aliens dont get special treatment here on earth, even if they are part of the Empire.

back on topic, the only true mining adjustment IN MY OPINION needs to be the stone block breaking speed for lower tier pickaxes, its incredibly frustrating to try and dig down far enough for some better metal with bismuth picks, only because it'll take forever to go down a few blocks, especially when you have to place support beams too :D

Dear Zed,

You're an idiot...

When using a prospector's pick, you are collecting and examining a sample of that rock. Based on what you find in that rock sample you are able to make some conjectures as to what lies nearby. However, sometimes the sample you collect, does not display the characteristics of nearby ore, which is why you receive false negatives. False positives do not exist because if you discover signs of copper nearby then there is surely copper nearby unless that sample had been placed there by someone else, which simply would not happen in a TFC world. Hopefully this explains the reasoning behind the prospector's pick in a way which makes it more understandable for you.

Now about your sonar pick...

You see, Zed, when modern humans employ sonar, they require highly advanced electronic equipment in order to emit the proper vibrations into the ground as well as to read the returning vibrations. Not only that, but a great deal of study is required in order to be able to properly analyze the data obtained from such a measurement. I implore you to think upon the technology available to mankind before 1600 BC and this should clear up any notions you've had concerning sonar.

Sincerely,

Ditto

The Official Forum Badass

P.S. Welcome to TFC.

Dear Ditto,

You are a scientist instead and excuse my stupidity, but here we're not talking about PROPICK but about another WORLD, you see if I find a gold coin on the ground does not mean that nearby there is a treasure chest full of gold, it could be from miles away just like the propick actually works.

And then about the technology in 1600 BC, what else is the most technologically advanced of your ear?

Sorry for my English.

however, I begin to appreciate the propick

ditto thanks for the great explanation

Dear Ditto,

You are a scientist instead and excuse my stupidity, but here we're not talking about PROPICK but about another WORLD, you see if I find a gold coin on the ground does not mean that nearby there is a treasure chest full of gold, it could be from miles away just like the propick actually works.

And then about the technology in 1600 BC, what else is the most technologically advanced of your ear?

Sorry for my English.

Now this looks like it was translated by Google. Maybe several times.

well at least he did place a nice disclaimer at the bottom ;)

Now this looks like it was translated by Google. Maybe several times.

and in the previous posts not looks? thanks for the compliment! ahauahuahauaa

I didn't read much of them. Maybe they do look like it, don't really care.

ahauahuahauaa

That looks... somewhat familiar...

Whatever, would you mind telling us where are you from? Or at least what's your first language? So we can find someone to translate you a little better than google can... ._. You really shouldn't be using google translator for this kind of stuff.