Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
iPotato13

Crafting Sandstone

17 posts in this topic

Hello TerraFirmaCrafters!

Since there are stone brick variants in the game already, why not give players the ability to have sandstone variants? Expand the pallet of blocks even one step further?

-iPotato

Sandstone is actually a specific type of sedimentary stone. Making "stone" by crafting together sand from a non-sedimentary stone really isn't very believable, especially considering that the creation of sandstone generally requires a lot of pressure involved.

Hadn't thought of it like that... Whoops! Well (off on a random topic) what about mud bricks? There are placeholders so I was curious to what those were intended for

There's no set-in-stone plan for the mud bricks. The original idea was to use them as some sort of early-game building material. There's always the possibility that we scrap them altogether and they are just removed, such is the life of placeholder items.

Seems legit. Just always caught my attention and made me wonder

There's no set-in-stone plan for the mud bricks. The original idea was to use them as some sort of early-game building material. There's always the possibility that we scrap them altogether and they are just removed, such is the life of placeholder items.

So you are saying that the future of those items is sort of... muddy?

Ha! Couldn't help myself.

Last time I spoke with Bioxx about mudbricks, the consensus was we liked the idea of them but didn't know if people would actually use them... there's a lot of effort needed to make enough bricks to build any sort of shelter. That effort takes a lot of resources and time, so by the time anyone could build with them, they'd be obsolete. Historically, mudbricks were dried in the sun, but that's a little more difficult to model with TFC. You can understand why using a kiln (4 bricks at a time) to bake them would be kind of silly- you burn 8 logs for every 4 bricks. You may as well just build a log house.

The Millenaire mod does mud brick blocks by crafing wet mud bricks together, placing them on the ground (needs to be open sky) and then leave them there for a couple of minutes and the whole block will harden.

it works for what it does in Millenaire but for TFC i could picture us placing the bricks down just like you place ingots. but you can only place one layer for obvious reasons. and then you'd have a bunch of dried mud bricks.

But honestly if we're gonna use mud for building material i would be more interested in whattle and daub.

I assumed that Dunk was eluding to using temperature, EVT, rainfall and such to make drying time variable.

mudbricks were dried in the sun, but that's a little more difficult to model with TFC. You can understand why using a kiln (4 bricks at a time) to bake them would be kind of silly- you burn 8 logs for every 4 bricks. You may as well just build a log house.

We did had adobe blocks in extrafirmacraft, could we not use a similar system? One of the advantages of a mud brick house is that is not flamable. I have burned down some early shelters as I try to have the kiln inside.

why not make it so you need to place it in an area near the burning pit kiln so you have eight on the ground and the surrounding eight sides and corners can dry mud bricks? that way they make some sense and don't waste resources they are more a by product 

But you would still need at least one log and one straw per brick, even if you dry all eight, you would be using 8 logs and enough straw for 2 thatch for 8 bricks. If each brick is a block, that might be better, but most likely, each brick will need to crafted into blocks so it'll just be better to make a log house and watch where you put your kiln.

Can't you say, give wet mudbricks a timer like saplings or torches, and have them turn into dry mudbricks when the timer runs out? Just have certain things, like access to the sky, or weather it is raining or not effect whether or not it'll dry, and I think it'll be plenty beliveable

We could probably fudge an inventory timer into it to allow it to solidify in a player's inventory. Would probably end up functioning a lot like waiting for ingots to cool.

That would be... interesting, to say the least.

What about some type of hardening mud on the block itself? Using thatch as a scaffold and coating it's fibers with mud, you could make a solid, non-transparent block that could work as an early/late game material.

Last time I spoke with Bioxx about mudbricks, the consensus was we liked the idea of them but didn't know if people would actually use them... there's a lot of effort needed to make enough bricks to build any sort of shelter. That effort takes a lot of resources and time, so by the time anyone could build with them, they'd be obsolete. Historically, mudbricks were dried in the sun, but that's a little more difficult to model with TFC. You can understand why using a kiln (4 bricks at a time) to bake them would be kind of silly- you burn 8 logs for every 4 bricks. You may as well just build a log house.

Just wanted to say that the Millianaire mod has mud bricks that dry in the sun. Don't know exactly how it works technically, but my guess (based on my experience using them) is that there is a check for if it's exposed to sunlight and the light level, and if it is, then it's a small random chance that it turns from a "wet mud brick" block into a "dry mud brick" block (don't know exact names).

What about some type of hardening mud on the block itself? Using thatch as a scaffold and coating it's fibers with mud, you could make a solid, non-transparent block that could work as an early/late game material.

That seems reasonable. Right click thatch with a clay ball and it turns into "wet brick", then using the method described above, after a while it turns into "dry brick" which is non-transparent.