Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

19 members have voted

1. 1. Give me your opinion ?

• Yeah sounds great.
    • What where you thinking?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 posts in this topic

Trains

undoubtedly i'm sure this already has been given alot of thought but in my opinion i feel like the minecraft rail system lacks something and i think TFC should touch upon this. I've often wanted trains with cargo wagons running between mines :) 

Steam Locomotives

Sure The trains in Minecraft are great and help you get around but how do they go? Already alot of redstone contraptions have been removed and to fit the general theme of the mod i think there should be the introduction of steam trains.

They'll be simple to run for example they could run of of logs (Primitive resource) Charcoal (next Tier) Coal (Best Tier) and water. Salt water will be slightly less effective to add emphasis on getting fresh water.

Cargo Wagons

Simple yet effective. Personally i would rather have cargo wagons to move items from point A-B This could be another way of using the size system there could be multiple types of cargo wagon.

~Small (Small items) ~Medium (Medium Items) ~Large (Large Items)

^                                       ^                                          ^

Around 16 inv.               Around 8 Inv.                    Around 4 inv.

Slots Per Unit                 Slots Per Unit                  Slots Per Unit

These are just basic ideas at the moment there will be more to come.

Thanks for your time.

~ICY

Install Railcraft/Traincraft. They both should be compatible with TFC.

I Have previously thought about adding them but I feel that railcraft goes off in the completely wrong direction for 'Trains' and there are too many options in Traincraft I'm being picky as you can see But just sharing my views. :) 

Thanks for the suggestion though

~ICY

Icy, I totally agree. Trains and especially minecarts were super important to historical mining and all, under-represented etc etc, but this brings up another point.

In tfc, when you find a deposit of ore, it basically gives you enough metal so you don't have to look for it anymore (except maybe when building a blast furnace). It's like "okay, found one deposit of[insert ore here], off to do the next thing!" The annoying part is location doesn't really matter, since tfc is already so much exploring, the actual balance of collecting the metals themselves has disappeared. Take in mind I mean after you've prospected and whatnot.

From deposits far away from home I would like to have to set up a mining "colony" before transporting my ores back home, or better, have to set up my base depending on natural resources are.

It would be nice if you could get a small amount of ores back to your base, but have to use a minecart system to do most of the work.

Transporting tonnes of ores seems bleak and it would be cool to make a minecart system to do it for you.

That's why I think the minecart system needs work, and could fill a cool niche in the game.

Well vanilla already has a steam locomotive. It's the "minecraft with furnace". The problem is you need a furnace to make one and tfc has disabled furnaces and replaced with a complex metallurgy system. Maybe they could re-enable furnaces but limits it's use to just minecarts.

TFC is influenced by pre-14th century. Some rail (rope with human or animal power) showed up to transport from mines to boats in the 16th century. I believe steam locomotives didn't show up until 18th-19th century.

However that is RL and for gameplay we have rail. If you wish to expand stuff go into your configs and re-enable furnace crafting and furnace carts. Yup already exists. Or using Railcraft you can add in more, as much or as little as you want. The configs really let you customized which modules and blocks are available. They even have wooden rails, which are more period appropriate.

i totally understand all your views and yes i do realize there is a minecart with a furnace but that system seems really weak compared to the rest of the mod. (if i was to enable it.)

~ICY

Trains no. Wagons yes, very yes.

Trains feel a bit too high-tech for TFC. I won't mind some better rail transport, like minecarts attached to animals or something, but locomotives and such seem off to me. I'd rather prefer wagons for long-distance, multi-item transports.

An idea I have is instead of wagons and trains, have wagons and 'rail-wagons', which would be the same as wagons, but use rails instead.

Wagons can be used on the road, but be slower and (possibly, if mechanics allow) tire the animals faster and/or wear down the wheels/axle faster.

Rail-wagons(no idea what to call it) could be wagons used on rails, and be faster, and (again, if mechanics allow) tire the animals less and/or not wear down the wheels/axle as fast.

Also, since it goes along a pre-set rail, you won't need to worry about directions and it'll be a lot smoother journey then wagons.(simply put, you don't have to worry about getting distracted and driving into a tree, or off a cliff, or into the river.)

There could be 'normal' wagons for both player and item transport, passenger wagons, for player transport, and item wagons, for item transport.

'normal' wagons will carry less players/items then passenger or item wagons. All wagons will have two front seats for a driver and navigator/guard/whoever

You should be able to tie a few animals behind wagons(maybe just on item and/or 'normal' wagons)

(Edit so it's easier to read, plus new ideas)

It's quite cool what i get out of these comments i quite like the idea of horse/donkey pulled wagons for long distance on land journeys i quite often prefer to traverse landscape by foot because this mod offers a lot to see.

I think it would be a swell addition to the Mod. :)

~ICY 

I think the rail wagon idea is by far the best solution, because it keeps within the tfc time frame, style, and answers all of our (I think XD) problems/ questions. Kitty is there anything you want to say?

I think the rail wagon idea is by far the best solution, because it keeps within the tfc time frame, style, and answers all of our (I think XD) problems/ questions. Kitty is there anything you want to say?

Kitty would only point to threads like these:http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/6726-rail-rails-rails/http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/1256-period-appropriate-transport-logistics/http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/1239-beasts-of-burden/http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/6437-dog-sledhorse-and-carriage/... where this topic has been beaten to death several times.That is, IF she had a good day and was nice and patient ;)

If you have time to spend, please configure custom recipe mod to Railcraft and support this adaptation in each new TFC version.

I like the idea of wagons, but the tech level of TFC seems to be nowhere near train technology. I think if the mechanics for this game really start to expand and become stupidly complex, then we can talk about trains. It would make mining a bit easier, but there's not really a need for that unless you have quite a sizable server.

I like railcraft, but if you use the tunnel borer machine how would the work out ?