Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gekkey Mathews

Oil! [not petroleum]

82 posts in this topic

that word you used, i do not think it means what you think it means

Inconceivable!!

i just edited that post, so scroll up and read it! I expand upon my knee jerk reaction and tell you my detailed opinions! its quite fascinating to be honest.

No. Please search about petroleum exploitation, or any kind of mining exploitation

http://en.wikipedia....tural_resources

if i must, i shall do so again

-facedesk-

i just edited that post, so scroll up and read it! I expand upon my knee jerk reaction and tell you my detailed opinions! its quite fascinating to be honest.

if i must, i shall do so again

-facedesk-

Let me explain a little something something about crude oil, it doesn't need plant and animal remains to decompose. Impressed right? You will doubt it! And you should but you have this theory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin that the russians are really trying to prove. Plus that what you've said is a THEORY.

About the scarcity of Oil on Earth: I have to say it is not that scarce and I know what I'm talking about. Asphalt and tar was exploited, but as I've said not in an significant way to make anything that matters in TFC.

ok, since im not interested in getting into a debate on the finer points of crude oil, i'll concede on this one. You know more about this than I do, I prefer biology (you know, DNA and the like), not geology or whatever this is.

So congrats, YOU WIN!

buuuuuuuut

Geologists now consider the abiogenic formation of petroleum scientifically unsupported

Just sayin' ;)

ok, since im not interested in getting into a debate on the finer points of crude oil, i'll concede on this one. You know more about this than I do, I prefer biology (you know, DNA and the like), not geology or whatever this is.

So congrats, YOU WIN!

buuuuuuuut

Just sayin' ;)

Sure enough, it is a crazy idea, just so you know to prove a point they made a well 10km deep and found oil. I don't know how to justify it with the biotic theory since we have something called the oil window, but hey... There could be a explanation.

Anyway I find the DNA thing way cooler too.

There IS oil in Europe, it's just not nearly as common as in the lets say, Middle East. And of course there's much less of it.. But it's still there. The same concept could be used in TFC too. It's not too rare, but in some places you can find more than in others.

I don't really care much about that type of oil tho, animal/plant oil is enough since the only use for oil I can think of (that fits TFC imo) is for lanterns or something.

But then again, seeing an oil fountain on the surface just like that would be pretty cool :P

There IS oil in Europe, it's just not nearly as common as in the lets say, Middle East. And of course there's much less of it.. But it's still there. The same concept could be used in TFC too. It's not too rare, but in some places you can find more than in others.

I don't really care much about that type of oil tho, animal/plant oil is enough since the only use for oil I can think of (that fits TFC imo) is for lanterns or something.

But then again, seeing an oil fountain on the surface just like that would be pretty cool :P

I can't agree with you more! In middle east you can almost dig a hole and find oil but with the development of shale exploitation you can find it almost everywhere.

And yes, there is no big use for it in this mod, if you want to see it on minecraft download buildcraft, although is a very poor implementation.

Actually petroleum was used as far back as the times of rome; known more commonly as bitumen or pitch. It held a widespread use in construction, shipbuilding, as well as defensive applications and long-term lighting (torches made with pitch and cloth instead of just burning sticks lasted much much longer and could easily be refreshed by applying more pitch). I think that there is a lot of possibilities as well as solutions and opprotunities for other fields (construction update, kingdoms update specifically) could benefit from this sort of a material appearing in our worlds.

So I would advocate both the organic oils, such as fats and olive oil; as well as a proper application of a bitumen/pitch.

Good idea!

Lamps with internal space for oil! Extracted of various forms, this can become useful for old recipes

guh, we are NOT talking about lighting again, it's been discussed to death, trust me.

guh, we are NOT talking about lighting again, it's been discussed to death, trust me.

Like we didn't go over the same subject again and again, with every single subject it goes like that, get over it.

Like we didn't go over the same subject again and again, with every single subject it goes like that, get over it.

Please try to skim over previous threads so that you aren't suggesting the same thing over and over again.

BAM!

plus, that lighting discussion was particularly grueling, it was... oh god, the flashbacks! They're... they're starting!

-assumes the fetal posisition-

BAM!

plus, that lighting discussion was particularly grueling, it was... oh god, the flashbacks! They're... they're starting!

-assumes the fetal posisition-

Nevertheless they do come back and Crysin, as far as I know, is the one that shuts reposts, rediscussed and flashbacks down... So just wait 'till it get on an admin sight OR give the link to that topic... I think it is a better attitude then "shut this idea up", even more when it is not just about lighting.

Nevertheless they do come back and Crysin, as far as I know, is the one that shuts reposts, rediscussed and flashbacks down... So just wait 'till it get on an admin sight OR give the link to that topic... I think it is a better attitude then "shut this idea up", even more when it is not just about lighting.

I've been following this topic the entire time... sometimes I just like to watch you guys squabble

i never asked for a thread lock, just voiced my opinion on discussing lighting.

I've been following this topic the entire time... sometimes I just like to watch you guys squabble

Do you have any input. Your first reply wasn't exactly enlightening, to be honest.

Do you have any input. Your first reply wasn't exactly enlightening, to be honest.

Do not question the ways of the Dunk, they are mysterious and ancient methods passed down through generations of Dunkian Monks

'I've been following this topic the entire time... sometimes I just like to watch you guys squabble'

You sadistic little -

hahaha. As far as lighting gos, the ONLY thing i want is some torch like blocks. Lanterns particularly for ascetics and the ability to hand from ceilings. Just stuff that looks nice.

'I've been following this topic the entire time... sometimes I just like to watch you guys squabble'

You sadistic little -

hahaha. As far as lighting gos, the ONLY thing i want is some torch like blocks. Lanterns particularly for ascetics and the ability to hand from ceilings. Just stuff that looks nice.

gah, they're back, they're baaaaaack!!!!

gah, they're back, they're baaaaaack!!!!

You should get back to the dark hole in the ground from where you've came.

You should get back to the dark hole in the ground from where you've came.

why the hate, bro?.

I am the darkness. I was not always the darkness. I once was light. Then you all said no. And I died. NOW I AM BACK FOR VENGEANCE!

We need lamps

we need lights

Legitimate way to get glowstone

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

I am entirely kidding. though... I really do want ascetic blocks. Cause... they are awesome n all.

why the hate, bro?.

No hate, dude. But since you have a profile pic of a dwarf(DF, right?) and since you don't like the idea of lighting so much, then I just assumed.

No hate, dude. But since you have a profile pic of a dwarf(DF, right?) and since you don't like the idea of lighting so much, then I just assumed.

ahhhh, i get it, we got a funny guy here!

by the way, i like the idea of lighting, i just think we have talked about it enough, unless you have some revolutionary idea to enlighten us all and send us into another renaissance period. If not, we've discussed it to death.

(and i prefer to call it my Underground Dirt Palace :P)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0