Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
bsb23

Sticks & Stones

25 posts in this topic

This will mostly be focused on the idea of the expansion and increased depth of sticks although it will briefly brush over stones as well so that I can use the title. This will be extending the construction update which I was planning to save this idea for however so many people have brushed by it that I feel it necessary just to get out there.

Extremely quick summary of expansion of sticks: Place-able sticks.

Slightly longer summary: We make a system capable of determining the uses of certain sticks as building materials, tools, and miscellaneous items while also allow structures to be built from these sticks.

The Ideas of Sticks:

Why is the stick expansion necessary? As of right now our buildings and items make little sense. Stacked rock cubes weren't very popular as you can imagine and log houses certainly weren't popular either, they were used but not by much. Sticks were a hugely important building material but we never use them at all which is rather strange. What are planks being nailed/glued to? Why can't we make adobe huts?

The other part is why can we use pine for a bow? Or maple for a tool handle? These things simple don't make sense.

Placing sticks:

Summary:Place-able sticks

Alright I'm going to make this one quick as besides it being the main idea it is fairly simple. Sticks should be place-able on edges so thats only twelve places to put them they would be pretty simple A seperate shift-click pile capable of holding a stack of them would be nice stacks would also be nice.

This quickly becomes the frame of many useful things such as item frames, window frames, and other frame-like items. Additionally they would be useful in structures in that, they could be supports(yes these could potentially replace the support system but I will address that in a bit. To place them anywhere besides the bottom four edges you must have string in your inventory.

Categories of sticks:

Summary: Categorize sticks by size and flexibility

Something similar to this was attempted by Bioxx when he gave each individual stick type its own ID but this led to issues so it was removed. However this kind of thing has to happen other wise we are running around with flimsy stick handles. A couple thing went into my idea...

• We can't destroy the inventory
  • We need different types
  • Not all sticks are the same even if they are from the same tree
  • One of our most successful rock mechanics is our categorizations
​So we categorize sticks, it's as simple as that, I was thinking nine natural types to allow for variation. There will only be two differing factors though just to keep things simple. Those two variables being size and flexibility. Now we can so "okay to be a bow you need to be this big and this flexible" this creates easy categories that are easily understandable but still provide a bit of a challenge. Each tree would have its own set of probabilities of drops so that maples drop flexible sticks for wicker, pines drop big ones almost exclusively, oaks drop strong hard wood.

This would also allow several ideas that have been cast out to be brought back. Like wicker, saplings to sticks(flexible small in this case), roots as sticks, I'm sure I'm forgetting more also.

Refining of sticks:

Summary: Allow sticks to be carved into straighter more useful 'rods'

Suggested a million times but needed to be addressed for this to be a true thread about sticks. That idea been carving sticks into more refined rods. These rods would hold the current texture and would be used in a situation where you need a straight stick rather than bent gnarly one. This would include handles. Just a stick with a knife a couple times should suffice for now unless we really want to go crazy. There would be a damage bar that when it reaches zero the item becomes a rod. If put into a pile the damage value disappears to make sure nothing gets too complicated. Basically its a stick with effort put into it.

Joining the ideas:

Now we have three system that when added together produce even more interesting results

• Large rods become place-able as supports
  • Only strong sticks can be made into rods
  • When sticks are placed their bounding box is slightly askew just so people want to replace them for looks
  • Medium and small rods will be place-able in the center of faces and the entire cube leading to 27 different spots to put them allowing for more control and more in-depth structures(fish smoking racks, tool racks)
  • Dirt and sand can be placed around rods to keep them from randomly falling.
  • Planks can only be nailed to rods

Summary of stones: Stones become place-able in piles that replace gravel in terrain gen.

Why is the stone expansion necessary? It isn't so much a necessity as it is a convenience, we can place stones but it certainly would be nice to have a pile and if you think about it a pile of rocks is essentially gravel so that makes sense.

Extra Stone Ideas

• Each individual stones hitbox is different in size so we don't end up with a brick look
  • Pre-determined still but just varying
  • About sixteen rocks should fit in gravel
  • We would need that redo of smoothstone and cobblestone to get this done.
  • River gravel should be able to consist of multiple colors

There is so much to read and not even one picture...

Well, I don't see anything that makes much sense in the "Why is the sticks expansion necessary?" part.

I hope to see one day woodcrafting similar to metalurgy, and bows carved out of logs rather then glued sticks, with possibly a long and reflexive variants, affected by the quality of wood used similarily as metal type for tools.

In fact, I'll suggest that now, just to make sure that someone has suggested it before.

But overall I find sticks being so insignificant that any changes to them are unnecessary.

But overall I find sticks being so insignificant that any changes to them are unnecessary.

Really? They might seem *insignificant* but you cannot progress in the game at all without sticks. Not one item is craftable with out a stick to make prerequisites, etc....

Adding pictures as soon as possible

Well, yes. Insignificant beyond their primary function (Which I would like to see limited to torches and stone tools.)

Well, yes. Insignificant beyond their primary function (Which I would like to see limited to torches and stone tools.)

Why the hate on sticks? Do you have deep set issues with the fibrous offshoots of trees that have broken off at an early age?

Also, pictures would be nice, I'm not sure I understand this enough to add anything yet.

I will add pictures as soon as I get to a computer I should probably add summaries of each sections as well.

I will add pictures as soon as I get to a computer I should probably add summaries of each sections as well.

No rush, whenever you can is fine.

this is a well presented, thought out post. +1

'and bows carved out of logs rather then'

~facepalm~

Check the saplings to sticks thread and you'll understand my reaction.

as for rods bing the only thing that plants can use, NO. bad. I use branches and sticks in my mothers garden when the wire frames are not available. They grow just as well as they did when I used a broom stick two years ago. there should not need to be a difference between sticks and rods for farming as both function perfectly well.

This is a pretty interesting idea, looking forward to you fleshing it out a bit more.

Bows are carved out from solid pieces of wood.

Unless you are a ten year old or a bushmen without metalurgy knowledge.

Or if this is minecraft and we have no carving mechanic and no mention of one in sight. Which would you prefer, actual carving or magically pasting three sticks together?

It's a temporary thing, in case you haven't noticed we use a lot of temporary things.

With the amount of times carving and woodworking has been talked about, and the fact every agrees it is rather necessary, there has never been a very strong reaction either way by the devs. They seem to have their own plans that they aren't ready to share with us yet. We just need to wait, and if that mean using some temporary mechanics in the interim, so be it. This mod is beta and not complete, and it seems like it will be a while before that isn't the case anymore. Which is a good thing, but it also means we can't have everything perfect yet, just imagine everything that needs to happen until this mod is in a "full" (not finished) state, its a wonderful and scary thought. But the truth is that these things (mechanics and major systems) take time with Bioxx doing it alone (Dunk does animals and AI, but iirc he said Bioxx doesn't let him code other stuff...). Given that Bioxx is an amazing coder and developer, things taking a long time is fine by me, it just means it will be that much better when it happens.

No drawings, no reading

I'm disappointed in you.

The OP isn't even that long and it's not that hard to use your imagination to see what he's talking about.

You must be in a bad mood tonight.

No drawings, no reading

Obviously you have something bothering you, but I would like to encourage you to show patience because as stated above, I will flesh this out when I get access to a computer which hopefully will be this weekend.

No drawings, no reading

Don't be like that, Esteban, it's short really... :

As far as I can tell, construction update is on it's way, and it will include something alike this suggestion, but with planks and without sticks' types.

Will it suffice?

Also, to not destroy one's inventory when stick types added I suggest adding ability to assemble sticks in bundles with, say, string. Bundles will hold up to 64 sticks of whatever type and (possibly?) can be used as firewood in firepits.

As I'm chopping down trees, I usually try to break leaves until I get at least one sapling (for obvious reasons). In the process, I end up with several stacks of sticks I'm not likely to use up. I could just throw them away and let them despawn along with all those worthless gemstones, but then I'd feel guilty or wasting them (and littering). Much like the OP, I would like to see more practical uses for all these sticks and stones.

One suggestion I have is crafting four sticks in a crafting square to make a "stick bundle" which could work, to a limited degree, similar to a log, mostly as fuel. In a fire pit, a stick bundle won't burn as hot or last as long as most logs, but it should be enough to heat up a prepared meal rather than wasting a whole log on one.

I also like storing rocks in stone piles much like storing logs. Another potential use for stones is in a stone tumbler which could work much like a sluice to generate gems and ores with a really small chance.

As I'm chopping down trees, I usually try to break leaves until I get at least one sapling (for obvious reasons). In the process, I end up with several stacks of sticks I'm not likely to use up. I could just throw them away and let them despawn along with all those worthless gemstones, but then I'd feel guilty or wasting them (and littering). Much like the OP, I would like to see more practical uses for all these sticks and stones.

The main use I find for sticks are torches and ladders. It probably has a lot to do with my playing style, as I prefer to prospect vertically (digging lots of deep 2x1 holes, with ladders on one side and torches on the other).

Ive alreadyy suggested it before, but i think sticks should be able to be built into a wall and a roof, placed on the ground, and then covered with mud, leaves, poo, grass, dirt ect. If all goes to plan, i will hopefully be able to implement this into my own mod that im learning to do.

Oh and they should also be able to be put into bundles, to be able to be used as firewood,traps ect ect The list goes on.......... 

I like the idea of having more uses for sticks but I dont like anything that suggests strings as part of the recipe. I would be OK if we had a different way of obtaining strings as killing a spider never made sense to me.

historically strings were made of fibrous plants and leather. maybe a use for the cattails?

As for the adobe house we have to remember that minecraft is a game about mining and placing blocks. so maybe creating a new block that uses sticks and clay to create the adobe block would be a way to give a new block to be use in early game construction. maybe making it so thatch blocks cannot protect from mob attacks so people would use it only on the roof and with a overhang for spider protection.

We should also make it so clay blocks are affected by gravity like dirt and cobble.

bottom line. Early game construction would be adobe block (made of sticks and clay) for wals and thatch for the roof.

By the way what happens to the sticks when a tree comes down?

shouldn't the sticks and saplings come down the same as the logs?

Why sticks and saplings magically disappear when a tree is cut down? 

By the way what happens to the sticks when a tree comes down?

shouldn't the sticks and saplings come down the same as the logs?

Why sticks and saplings magically disappear when a tree is cut down? 

If you haven't figured it out yet, you have to work to get materials in TFC. Very few things can be obtained without player effort.

Also, keep in mind just how many sticks and saplings your inventory gets flooded with just when breaking some of the leaves before dropping. Now imagine just how many more "useless" sticks and saplings you would have hogging up inventory space if every single leaf dropped its sticks and saplings when the tree was chopped.

I

Also, keep in mind just how many sticks and saplings your inventory gets flooded with just when breaking some of the leaves before dropping. Now imagine just how many more "useless" sticks and saplings you would have hogging up inventory space if every single leaf dropped its sticks and saplings when the tree was chopped.

You right I have not considered that. I always end up with several chests of sticks.

Actually a better suggestion would be to have a different way of getting saplings.

since we have the coding for flowers and fruits on fruit trees I imagine ( no coder myself so forgive me ) it would not be so hard to code flowers and seeds on trees either on the form of fruit, nuts or pods.