Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Raquaza98

Stay real

39 posts in this topic

Well, I have a suggestion for TFC

Here is it: Stay realistic and DON'T add things like magic and stuff (like happen in vanilla minecraft..)

I really like the idea of the add-ons because is something that aren't in the basic game but you can install it, like this mod into minecraft

Also I want to say thank at all the people that are reading this topic for playing and developeling this fantastic mod (I wish it is a game) and it's feature

Thanks

^Exactly the mentality that caused me to stop playing TFC...

^Exactly the mentality that caused me to stop playing TFC...

The focus on realism, or the focus away from realism, that made you stop playing? I'm guessing it's the former.

The focus on realism, or the focus away from realism, that made you stop playing? I'm guessing it's the former.

I actually prefer the realistic approach. I feel magic just doesn't make too much sense, and that the realism makes the mod fun and relaxing, and sensible. Also, if I might add, it's one of the most beautiful mods for minecraft. I don't think I've found a texture pack that compares even. I would like to see a few more changes to add to realism though

Those being:

Brass, I brought this up earlier. If copper can be used, so can brass (it's harder anyway)

Less jagged terrain. It's too mountainous. I've never seen a real life area with such common high hills and valleys. It'd be alright, but it's so incredibly steep. 

Compasses and sextants, along with watches. They helped countless sailors and adventures determine their location on the earth. (the watches were to determine longitude). Larger clocks would work too though, as long as they could be carried in the inventory. 

More survival portions, those being temperature affecting body heat, and an injury system. 

the hard focus on making the game entirely realistic is what caused it, as it is a great deviation from the initial goal of this mod, which was to make minecraft more believable, not realistic

believable meaning, if we can implement it in a way that logically makes sense and isn't making a sword by slapping two diamonds on a stick, then it would work with this mod.

but, we have sadly turned from this, and the focus has become "making this mod as exact to real life as we possibly can without making things hopelessly infuriating"

that, is why i have stopped, because this isn't the same mod that i played last year.

the hard focus on making the game entirely realistic is what caused it, as it is a great deviation from the initial goal of this mod, which was to make minecraft more believable, not realisticbelievable meaning, if we can implement it in a way that logically makes sense and isn't making a sword by slapping two diamonds on a stick, then it would work with this mod.but, we have sadly turned from this, and the focus has become "making this mod as exact to real life as we possibly can without making things hopelessly infuriating"that, is why i have stopped, because this isn't the same mod that i played last year.

Your words confuse me. I understand if you believe that this mod has become too convoluted with its methods of accoplishing task in the likeness of real life (or more accurately, trying to be like real life). However, if your opinions mirror the one you stated in your last comment, it makes me think that you enjoy some of the fantastical in mods. I assume my first opinion was too shallow minded of your true intent, maybe you mean that you want a little "mystery" to the mod. The kind of mystery that can "leave things out" without leaving the player totally lost and using the wiki as their crutch. Maybe you mean that you don't like (what you consider) the "narrow minded path" of the mod. Maybe you think that the mod needs something new, whether it change its path or add something foreign that inspires curiosity. Unless convinced otherwise, I still agree with the OP. TFC needs to focus on what it does best, let the community create and share their own curious creations. I fear that if any of what I've just said is true to you, that nothing will ever satisfy you. How I've seen it since a year ago, when I started playing this mod, the creators have attempted to expand its horizon while becoming more "concrete" in its balancing, challenge, and entertainment. Hell, it wasn't till after my friend Mbolz created the Medical Mod for our roleplay server and published it here, on this forum, that common TFC players have been able to easily access Third-Party content without getting yelled at for using TFC source. Many strides have been made here, and I think, with petition and patience, we may get farther.

Your words confuse me. I understand if you believe that this mod has become too convoluted with its methods of accoplishing task in the likeness of real life (or more accurately, trying to be like real life). However, if your opinions mirror the one you stated in your last comment, it makes me think that you enjoy some of the fantastical in mods.I assume my first opinion was too shallow minded of your true intent, maybe you mean that you want a little "mystery" to the mod. The kind of mystery that can "leave things out" without leaving the player totally lost and using the wiki as their crutch. Maybe you mean that you don't like (what you consider) the "narrow minded path" of the mod. Maybe you think that the mod needs something new, whether it change its path or add something foreign that inspires curiosity.Unless convinced otherwise, I still agree with the OP. TFC needs to focus on what it does best, let the community create and share their own curious creations. I fear that if any of what I've just said is true to you, that nothing will ever satisfy you. How I've seen it since a year ago, when I started playing this mod, the creators have attempted to expand its horizon while becoming more "concrete" in its balancing, challenge, and entertainment. Hell, it wasn't till after my friend Mbolz created the Medical Mod for our roleplay server and published it here, on this forum, that common TFC players have been able to easily access Third-Party content without getting yelled at for using TFC source. Many strides have been made here, and I think, with petition and patience, we may get farther.

Everyone looks for different things in a mod

Everyone looks for different things in a mod

Of course, if people didn't, we wouldn't have the motivation to play any mods. Yet I still question their motives, especially for those who I discover to have a parasitic ideas. What I mean is that during my RP days with TFC, I've had a number of people leave with various issues they had. Most said that the mod is too convoluted for them or they wanted more *magic (* mostly influence by the fact that this was Roleplay). Some of the less attractive excuses to leave ranged from "I left because X mod is incompatibility" to "I left because its too hard to learn things like .... ( ie. Prospecting)." Although these are their own opinions and they have every right to choice what they play, I disagree with people who make entreaties without being transparent with their ideas.

Well I think I semi-like this. For one I think that there should NOT be magical stuff, only some. Like a enchantment and alchemy system and nothing more.

Enchantement and alchemy system are the beginning of a magic game... they're cool ok but they will destroy the game like they did in the past.

Minecraft was a sandbox, then it became a survival game and now I don't want to become that mod a magic game (because minecraft is it now)

Another things that i didn't expect is that some people don't like that is near to the reality, but I'm thinking that mod modify the vanilla making the only survival game based on the reality. That's it a game that is based on the reality.

And I hope that the admin and the developer make good decision

Restating what some said above, TFCraft is supposed to make the game more believable, with adding a bit of realism, but it still needs to be playable.

Recalling the old quote of TerraFirmaCraft mod - "Survival Mode as it Should've Been" - has given me the impression that this modification will rewrite Minecraft in almost every aspect. Generally, that is what the mod really did a good job on, last year. However, as time goes on after that, I have to agree with Srgnoodles, here. TFC just doesn't seem to live up to its name, in my opinion. I was really hoping for the animals update, but it never came, due to problems on Mr. Dunkleosteus' part.

I understand about making the mod believable and balancing everything, that sounds good, theory. However, as I have observed over the past months, it seems that this concept has become a huge design flaw, in itself. Like I had stated back in the Dreams and Farewells topic in the Off-Topic subforum, the difficulty, the depth, isn't just there. And now, after some careful thinking, I think that believability and balancing is just holding TerraFirmaCraft back.

For the impression of TFC from its old quote, from my interpretation it implies that there will be plenty of realism and complexity and depth within the mod, itself. Generally, the one who might be looking for that may not be satisfied with TFC after they played it up to the Steel Age, several times, or will just avoid it, completely, in the worst case scenario.

What I suggest to prevent this is that focus more on the realism, and not so much of believability. I think I understand now that there has to be a fine balance between what is realistic, and what is believable. Also, for the balancing, try not to overly ignore it, but try to make it so that balancing does not ruin the game for the players.

-Sda209.

Recalling the old quote of TerraFirmaCraft mod - "Survival Mode as it Should've Been" - has given me the impression that this modification will rewrite Minecraft in almost every aspect. Generally, that is what the mod really did a good job on, last year. However, as time goes on after that, I have to agree with Srgnoodles, here. TFC just doesn't seem to live up to its name, in my opinion. I was really hoping for the animals update, but it never came, due to problems on Mr. Dunkleosteus' part.I understand about making the mod believable and balancing everything, that sounds good, theory. However, as I have observed over the past months, it seems that this concept has become a huge design flaw, in itself. Like I had stated back in the Dreams and Farewells topic in the Off-Topic subforum, the difficulty, the depth, isn't just there. And now, after some careful thinking, I think that believability and balancing is just holding TerraFirmaCraft back.For the impression of TFC from its old quote, from my interpretation it implies that there will be plenty of realism and complexity and depth within the mod, itself. Generally, the one who might be looking for that may not be satisfied with TFC after they played it up to the Steel Age, several times, or will just avoid it, completely, in the worst case scenario.What I suggest to prevent this is that focus more on the realism, and not so much of believability. I think I understand now that there has to be a fine balance between what is realistic, and what is believable. Also, for the balancing, try not to overly ignore it, but try to make it so that balancing does not ruin the game for the players.-Sda209.

I Agree and Disagree.I Agree, because with a mod like TFC, realism is the greatest way to enhance the quality. Complexity in TFC creates the greatest motivation for advancement. The Rule of Thumb I've found is the "Ease your Environment Motive." What this means is, you strive to advance to ease the burden of the environment, "problem solving your way to victory!" as i like to call it. However, with this, we should balance it by expanding the horizon of Solutions, things like the mechanisms of engineering and discoveries of science have done to shorten task lengths and decrease the need for physical labor.I would love to see the mechanisms we've all seen on BetterThanWolves like the windmill, water mill and pulley lifts.I would like to see more science stuff like Extrafirma is currently working on with medicine and liquid brewing and distilling.However, I would also like to see challenges like limited player inventory and encumbrance meter.Also, features I've already addressed in my Combat Revamped post and an overhaul of food (food spoilage and preservatives, rebalanced yields and fertilizing).I Disagree, because balancing and believability is necessary for us to have a smoother game. Yet, I agree that focusing on it for too long can be damaging. I believe in the policy of implementing a large number of features over one or a few updates and balancing it all over time with hot fixes like we have done recently. It fits the model of Minecraft Updates, gives players time to test a larger number of features, and to see the relevance of each feature. The only faults being that the developers would need to divide task among into Three departments (Bug checking, Balancing and Development) and it risk creating very linear gameplay (this can be avoided by scattering your features over many projects.)

I Disagree, because balancing and believability is necessary for us to have a smoother game.

I intended to say "make sure not to focus so much on believability and balancing that it actually ruins the game," but I could've clarified better.

Honestly I think the mod is amazing and is getting better. the devs continued where the original MC F**ked up :)  Keep going guys.  I haven't been disappointed in any updates so far .... lol

due to problems on Mr. Dunkleosteus' part.

T^T

I guess I have some explaining to do. I had a lot of plans for what I thought animals should be, and may have announced these ideas far earlier than they really should have been. For the most part, the things I discussed are still in line to be implemented (along with a number of awesome things which I haven't formally announced yet) but will probably be added in b78 or b79.

Part of what I'm trying to do with TFC at the moment (among everything else I have on my plate as finals approach) is to look at the issues people have with the mod (compatibility and low patience aside). For the most part, what destroys replayability and why there is a lack of motivation to advance your technology. I want TFC to grow into itself, so I've been hesitant to borrow too many ideas from other mods. What I feel like saying for the time being (and I really hope I'm not digging my own grave again) is that more specific uses for metals are on the way (along with some other materials) to make specific resources important in their own right instead of as a generic tool metal. I plan to add more aesthetics to the natural world and to the player's creations. I want there to be hidden depth below the surface in many aspects of the game, so that you don't have to plunge yourself headfirst into something to get by, but players could pick and choose which game aspects they wanted to explore. I want the game to be less about metal teching, grinding through metal after metal. Flesh out each "age" or "era" to include technologies and constructions (which would be scalable as your own technology level increased) to help you on your way through the game. Basically, I want a lot of content but I don't want to force the player through every loop and path in the game just to beat it, I want a game that can be played many different ways.

• So, to summarize your wall of text that many people probably won't have the patience to read (it's an unfortunate fact of modern society, as we know it), basically, you're saying that you're planning to flesh out the game in huge ways in the next two updates.
  •  
  • You want to have the players play the game through a different number of aspects, such as being a hunter-gatherer in the tundra, a local fisher in the coast, a farmer in the prairie fields.
  •  
  • You also want to include technologies and constructions that will help the player advance through the ages, not exactly requiring them to get those technologies.
  •  
  • You plan to add many more aesthetics into the TFC world, such as adding more variety in flora and fauna life and pretty-up the biomes with this variety, and allowing players to make aesthetically-impressive creations.
  •  
  • There is also the plan of adding more specific uses to metals, and some other unlisted materials, so that they are important in their own right other than being a generic metal for tool making.

Is that right?

• So, to summarize your wall of text that many people probably won't have the patience to read (it's an unfortunate fact of modern society, as we know it), basically, you're saying that you're planning to flesh out the game in huge ways in the next two updates.
  •  
  • You want to have the players play the game through a different number of aspects, such as being a hunter-gatherer in the tundra, a local fisher in the coast, a farmer in the prairie fields.
  •  
  • You also want to include technologies and constructions that will help the player advance through the ages, not exactly requiring them to get those technologies.
  •  
  • You plan to add many more aesthetics into the TFC world, such as adding more variety in flora and fauna life and pretty-up the biomes with this variety, and allowing players to make aesthetically-impressive creations.
  •  
  • There is also the plan of adding more specific uses to metals, and some other unlisted materials, so that they are important in their own right other than being a generic metal for tool making.

Is that right?

Dead on.

Oh, that's good to know. Well I can't wait to see how this set of revisions will work out in TFC.

I disagree. I'd prefer if you got magic weapons/tools as rare drops from enemies, like in vanilla. It gives a reason to fight rather than sleep, and if you can't craft them yourself, doesn't imbalance things too much.

Elder Scrolls-style enchanting with Soul Gems would be good too.

Sorry, I don't think there is room for magic weapons/tools for TFC. I don't know about the enchanting, but I'll have to assume it is not going to be in TFC.

We're not really in favour of magic of any sort, but it's dangerous to give ultimatums like "NO MAGIC EVER".

if there is "magic" it wouldn't be related to combat, so no enchanting or spells or any of that. Maybe another dimension or two, since you can't explain that as anything but magic.

Maybe another dimension or two, since you can't explain that as anything but magic.

Technically not true. This article here could explain it rather well. What we could find there, however, could be considered whatever you want.

Technically not true. This article here could explain it rather well. What we could find there, however, could be considered whatever you want.

///

In the sense of TFC, this dimension is magical to those who enter there, because TFC is not going beyond to the Industrial Age and the Modern Age. The time limit of TFC is around 1300, if I remember correctly.

our science is no where near advanced enough for that.