Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
linuxas

Placing dirt, sand and cobblestone into stacks

98 posts in this topic

If you place 5 dirt, 4 cobblestone or 3 sand making pillar, it gains chance to fall nearby, at first over build pillar block it would be 10% chance to fall , and at every block it doubles.

I made this idea, because logically you can't make inifnite pile of sand.

I quite like that idea, although at the moment I can't think of anything else to say about it.

Continuing along these lines would do wonders in the way of building logical, supported structures. If it can be done without being too resource intensive, it should be. My only concern is that because every block would need to check if it can be placed in a certain situation without falling, or collapsing, it might chug a little.

Continuing along these lines would do wonders in the way of building logical, supported structures. If it can be done without being too resource intensive, it should be. My only concern is that because every block would need to check if it can be placed in a certain situation without falling, or collapsing, it might chug a little.

I think the falling calculations should happen when you place a block near it, and possibly when the world is generated.

Anyone seen the simple physics mod? Basically it gives all blocks a strength and weight number and do making a long horizontal thing of cobble, it will fall after x blocks, but wood is sturdier, so it goes farther etc.

Anyone seen the simple physics mod? Basically it gives all blocks a strength and weight number and do making a long horizontal thing of cobble, it will fall after x blocks, but wood is sturdier, so it goes farther etc.

Probably wouldn't help this topic. We want sand/dirt to randomly fall off a 1 blocks wide tower, or something like that.

Although, I think something like that would be help TFC in general, given that wood currently flies.

Oh. I see. Never mind.

It seems that on their thread over at the Minecraft Forums people are complaining about the resource requirements, but it we've got cave-in mechanics here and everything is good, so I'm just going to assume TFC is optimized better. :U

...If we just got ornate masonry columns that function like supports, and the ability for horizontal supports to function without vertical ones when used in wooden houses along the ceiling, that would be cool also.

Anyway, that's a little different than dirt and sand spreading outwards.

It's already bad enough when you dig into a ravine and 200-300 dirt blocks fall at once. What's a few more wimpy sand piles going to do?

It's already bad enough when you dig into a ravine and 200-300 dirt blocks fall at once. What's a few more wimpy sand piles going to do?

It would help fill them in quicker, I would just get sand and start pouring it in from one hole and watch it fill out into the pit. I think this idea could be useful in many ways.

I think this is an excellent idea, but espaecially for building structures, where using materials to build things actually matters as they have different characteristics (weight, mass, strength, etc.). Also the idea of being able to create different stone pillars and/or horizontal and vertical supports would be cool as well.

Okay, this doesn't sound as good as it did in my head yesterday...

Would it work if you created a (functionally) liquid/water sand/dirt that turned into a solid block when it settled (Immediately after reaching it's max travel distance)? Digging up terrain sand/dirt would yield the liquid sand/dirt even though in reality they would be different blocks.

Could work, see btw cement. Also this could work but don't forget silk touch could screw this up.

Could work, see btw cement. Also this could work but don't forget silk touch could screw this up.

Assuming silk touch will be kept, something like that would actually make it more valuable. Using silk touch would enable you to directly place dirt. ...Which would be a godsend if you ever wanted to quickly assemble some kind of dirt structure for some reason.

Okay, this doesn't sound as good as it did in my head yesterday...

Would it work if you created a (functionally) liquid/water sand/dirt that turned into a solid block when it settled (Immediately after reaching it's max travel distance)? Digging up terrain sand/dirt would yield the liquid sand/dirt even though in reality they would be different blocks.

That's a really good idea. But something should prevent it of falling to lowest level like water does in TFC.

That's a really good idea. But something should prevent it of falling to lowest level like water does in TFC.

Do you mean falling into nothingness? I thought that was a bug... I'd assume water!dirt would follow a couple of simple rules like only travelling two or three spaces, and only travelling if it can drop in elevation.

i don't think cobblestone should be affected by this much. cobblestone would be fitting one stone into an other, so although you wouldn't be able to make the stones float, you would be able to make them stack very high.

Essentially are we asking for Finite Solids here? This may be a little too complex for right now considering we are having trouble with Finite Liquids.

Essentially are we asking for Finite Solids here? This may be a little too complex for right now considering we are having trouble with Finite Liquids.

I think it's more along the lines of 'solids that use liquid pathfinding in order to reposition themselves into more sensible locations.'

I think it's more along the lines of 'solids that use liquid pathfinding in order to reposition themselves into more sensible locations.'

He basically wants materials to have strain on them. materials affected by gravity would only be able to support so much before they fall down, much like the cave-in mechanic.

...Sand and dirt pathing like water...

...I like it. I like it a lot, actually. +1 to you good sir.

I think this would cause issues with mountains. The dirt would roll down the mountain side and leave the grass and stone still in their place.

I think this would cause issues with mountains. The dirt would roll down the mountain side and leave the grass and stone still in their place.

...assuming that grass is fixed soon... wouldn't that be a good thing? It'd make sheer mountains less dirty and more rocky like they are in RL, and hills would be ...'hillier'?

It would cause massive lag when loading a new world or loading a new chunk. I'm imagining it would be incredibly laggy to load a mountain biome and have all the dirt and grass slide down a mountain side.

It would cause massive lag when loading a new world or loading a new chunk. I'm imagining it would be incredibly laggy to load a mountain biome and have all the dirt and grass slide down a mountain side.

The lag is caused by rendering the graphics for the moving entities. If you make the calculations before you spawn, the lag problem could be avoided.