Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bioxx

Kingdoms Brainstorming

899 posts in this topic

perfect. I'm glad my feedback was appreciated. (this is not sarcasm)

Id like to avoid something like the faction plugin which is extremely limiting in my opinion

I totally agree :)

I've always hated the factions plugin :P

Nice reference :P I also agree with the sentiment of your post. I proposed a very complicated system, but realized that a tool set would actually suit me better, as well as everyone else :)

Exactly! Man, after reading this thread through I've realized how interesting and varied the community on these forums is. I always thought before that cevkiv was just a grumpy ass when he is actually a intelligent grumpy ass xD. So many awesome professions too. It's funny hOw some of them have professions that are in TFC. Infinus5 is a prospecter, Mead is a mason, some one is a black smith, ECT. I guess I'm rambling, I just find it interesting.

Exactly! Man, after reading this thread through I've realized how interesting and varied the community on these forums is. I always thought before that cevkiv was just a grumpy ass when he is actually a intelligent grumpy ass xD. So many awesome professions too. It's funny hOw some of them have professions that are in TFC. Infinus5 is a prospecter, Mead is a mason, some one is a black smith, ECT. I guess I'm rambling, I just find it interesting.

Yep, it is a great community we have on here. Ryuugumo is the blacksmith by profession :)

I think I would say that rambling is an important part of this forum :P There are more derailments here than there would be on a railway made entirely of hairpin bends :P

Yep, it is a great community we have on here. Ryuugumo is the blacksmith by profession :)

I think I would say that rambling is an important part of this forum :P There are more derailments here than there would be on a railway made entirely of hairpin bends :P

I remember when this forum was just eternal, lumi and me tearing down ideas about character stats right and left. (ahh the good old days :P)

Not to sound like an old coot but I'm a blacksmith too (pleading face)

I was there too

Yes you were. I think blue was too

Yes you were. I think blue was too

I think I came after =P

[nostalgia]

Back when you didn't have the new member ranking system and eternal didn't have 800 MORE POSTS THAN ME :(

[/nostalgia]

[nostalgia]

Back when you didn't have the new member ranking system and eternal didn't have 800 MORE POSTS THAN ME :(

[/nostalgia]

bwahaha

Wanna borrow some silver brah? I've got a ton of the stuff

Sorry I am unavailable for condiment.

EDIT: Comment! I meant comment!

I remember when this forum was just eternal, lumi and me tearing down ideas about character stats right and left. (ahh the good old days :P)

Not to sound like an old coot but I'm a blacksmith too (pleading face)

Blacksmith by profession or a hobbyist ?

I'm a hobby blacksmith myself, though my forge is currently decommissioned due to noise complaints :/

I feel so left out in a way, but I haven't been here that long :P

Blacksmith by profession or a hobbyist ?

I'm a hobby blacksmith myself, though my forge is currently decommissioned due to noise complaints :/

I feel so left out in a way, but I haven't been here that long :P

since when does a forge produce noise ?

since when does a forge produce noise ?

It's powered by a leaf blower. The initial plooms of yellow smoke and the ringing of metal on metal contact didn't help either :P .. I'm currently looking for an alternative venue. I will solve the yellow smoke by switching from coal to charcoal, which will also save me the time it takes to turn the coal into coke :D

I thought we meant in-game.

Whoopsies. [/fail]

It's powered by a leaf blower. The initial plooms of yellow smoke and the ringing of metal on metal contact didn't help either :P .. I'm currently looking for an alternative venue. I will solve the yellow smoke by switching from coal to charcoal, which will also save me the time it takes to turn the coal into coke :D

Nice, I use a converted air mattress blower for camping and it's more than enough. Also charcoal is easy to make and still needs to be cooked into coke same as mineral coal. Have you tried pearl coal? It burns cleaner and hotter although it's more expensive. Just please for the sake of the rest of us smiths don't use charcoal briquettes they burn too slowly and with like no heat. Also my anvil rests on a wooden platform that's cushioned by sand. I know other smiths that mount thiers with rubber or magnets and they say that works fine too. Last tip in reguards to noise is don't swing the hammer just let it's own weight do the work for you. A good 3lb hammer is all you need for most work but you cann't replace a good ball-pein and cross-pein hammer. Chisels, vises, and swages are great for decorative work. Don't waste your time on the other stuff, as with enough skill you can do a better job manually.

i think you should use coke, its at least at my loc cheaper, and it has better characteristics -> burning temp, clean, etc

also have you already thought about a footpowerd forge? they have in the middle with an offset a ventilator, wich is powerd with a sewing machine actuation,

it gets hot enough in about 4 min to start the carbon burn in a 2x2x9 steel piece

i dont know the actual name in english nor my mother tongue, so happy hunting if you are interested

Nice, I use a converted air mattress blower for camping and it's more than enough. Also charcoal is easy to make and still needs to be cooked into coke same as mineral coal. Have you tried pearl coal? It burns cleaner and hotter although it's more expensive. Just please for the sake of the rest of us smiths don't use charcoal briquettes they burn too slowly and with like no heat.

Me and my friend (co-investor in the anvil and other equipment since we're both skint :P) were thinking of moving to a hairdrier which would be similar to your air mattress blower I think :) The leaf blower is great for giving a lot of heat (We once melted a steel crucible in an open air forge when trying to melt copper for a casting :S) but we really need to manage it carefully because it generates too much heat for smithing :S

I was thinking about lumpwood charcoal (I know briquettes are useless :P). I don't really have the funds to get ahold of perl coal, so I'm stuck with whatever is cheap and available unfortunately. The fact that few people have coal fires here doesn't help either, meaning 90% of the time we have to do a wee bit of traveling to find any fuel which isn't briquettes :(

Also my anvil rests on a wooden platform that's cushioned by sand. I know other smiths that mount thiers with rubber or magnets and they say that works fine too. Last tip in reguards to noise is don't swing the hammer just let it's own weight do the work for you. A good 3lb hammer is all you need for most work but you cann't replace a good ball-pein and cross-pein hammer. Chisels, vises, and swages are great for decorative work. Don't waste your time on the other stuff, as with enough skill you can do a better job manually.

Thanks for the tip re the tools ! We have a ball-pein and a cross pein-hammer and you are definitely right, as we had to use a regular 3lb hammer for a while. The cross pein is much better :D I have a terrible habit of swinging the hammer (due to the fact I'm a powerlifter and I always try use brute force when skill and patience would serve me far better :S) so I will keep that in mind :)

Just as a point of interest, what tools would you consider essential for a reasonably equipped smith ? Right now all we have is a ball pein hammer, cross pein hammer, a few chisels, a few punches and a set of flat tongs. Oh, and of course an anvil :P

i think you should use coke, its at least at my loc cheaper, and it has better characteristics -> burning temp, clean, etc

also have you already thought about a footpowerd forge? they have in the middle with an offset a ventilator, wich is powerd with a sewing machine actuation,

it gets hot enough in about 4 min to start the carbon burn in a 2x2x9 steel piece

We try and opt for powered options (namely because we are lazy pricks :P), but we will be building a foot powered portable forge at some point soon as we are both re-enactors and need a portable forge which will work without electrical power :)

Unfortunately, coke is not very commonly available where I live. I've basically got a choice between lumpwood charcoal and regular coal :/

make it yourself, i hope a pro knows how to do it, if not, use a cheap coal (no bricks or briquettes) and glow it without oxygen -> do it tfc style ^^

Just as a point of interest, what tools would you consider essential for a reasonably equipped smith ? Right now all we have is a ball pein hammer, cross pein hammer, a few chisels, a few punches and a set of flat tongs. Oh, and of course an anvil :P

I have a prichel, punch, fuller, two pairs of tongs (one flat mouthed and one for square barstock), a couple good rasps for hot rasping, vise with metal plates to cushion the metals from scratching, a cross-pein, a ball-pein, a 3lb hammer for hot work, a 5lb hammer for cold work (non-ferrous metals only), two wire brushes (one standard size and one butcher block), a cutoff-hardie (makes things easier but when I'm lazy I just use the edge of the anvil), misc. homemade swages for different projects I've done (nail and rivet swages are very useful), and a chisel. I'm probally forgetting a few tools but all you really need to start is two hammers (or one hammer and an anvil) and some tongs. Keep in mind that blacksmiths are the makers of tools. If you don't have what you need, then make it don't buy it.

make it yourself, i hope a pro knows how to do it, if not, use a cheap coal (no bricks or briquettes) and glow it without oxygen -> do it tfc style ^^

Yes, it's very simple. You start with either charcoal or mineral coal and you slowly cook it on the edges of your forge. Coke is simply a coal/charcoal that you cleaned (with heat). When it stops releasing smoke and starts burning clear, your done and may quench the coke for use later. It should lump together like Conglomerate. Yes you "could" buy it but why would you since it's easy to make. As far as charcoal, just take some wood and light it on fire. After it's cooked for awhile you may check the fire for light pieces of black wood. Congradulations, you just made charcoal. You'll get a much higher yield from an air-less burning pit; however, keep in mind that it takes about two days to do it properly and many of us don't have that time.

I'll see if I get some time to take some pictures. If I do I'll start a topic in off-topic to talk in more detail.

How'd we get this far off topic lol

I have a prichel, punch, fuller, two pairs of tongs (one flat mouthed and one for square barstock), a couple good rasps for hot rasping, vise with metal plates to cushion the metals from scratching, a cross-pein, a ball-pein, a 3lb hammer for hot work, a 5lb hammer for cold work (non-ferrous metals only), two wire brushes (one standard size and one butcher block), a cutoff-hardie (makes things easier but when I'm lazy I just use the edge of the anvil), misc. homemade swages for different projects I've done (nail and rivet swages are very useful), and a chisel. I'm probally forgetting a few tools but all you really need to start is two hammers (or one hammer and an anvil) and some tongs. Keep in mind that blacksmiths are the makers of tools. If you don't have what you need, then make it don't buy it.

Yes, it's very simple. You start with either charcoal or mineral coal and you slowly cook it on the edges of your forge. Coke is simply a coal/charcoal that you cleaned (with heat). When it stops releasing smoke and starts burning clear, your done and may quench the coke for use later. It should lump together like Conglomerate. Yes you "could" buy it but why would you since it's easy to make. As far as charcoal, just take some wood and light it on fire. After it's cooked for awhile you may check the fire for light pieces of black wood. Congradulations, you just made charcoal. You'll get a much higher yield from an air-less burning pit; however, keep in mind that it takes about two days to do it properly and many of us don't have that time.

I'll see if I get some time to take some pictures. If I do I'll start a topic in off-topic to talk in more detail.

That was re-assuring :) I've been worried we are underequipped, but evidently not as badly as I thought :)

Now that I think about it, it's probably worth making a new set of tongs as the ones we have are just awful (we adapted a set of pliers :P)

Re the coke, that is what we do with the coal right now, but if charcoal is no cleaner then we will just stick with the coal as it is often cheaper and easier to buy coal than it is to get ahold of decent amounts of wood here (we really have serious problems in the UK facing the craftsman, especially in Scotland :/)

Quick q:

Is"sluice" one syllable (sloos) or two (sloo-is)

Quick q:

Is"sluice" one syllable (sloos) or two (sloo-is)

One. Say it to yourself, you don't say sloo-is you say sloos, even with very poor pronunciation I would be surprised if you managed to alter the number of audible syllables in a word :P

That was the question. Thank you.

One. Say it to yourself, you don't say sloo-is you say sloos, even with very poor pronunciation I would be surprised if you managed to alter the number of audible syllables in a word :P

Actually it's regional.

A lot of Americans pronounce it 'SLEW-iss'

like the name Lewis but with an S in front