Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Lumireaver

How Do You Guys Feel About Forevertools [Repairing Tools & Armor]

76 posts in this topic

... Do you realize this thread was made in june, while the one you linked was made in july? i mean, it is like saying infiminer and dwarf fortress ripped off parts of minecraft. Also, this thread was already dead : you think that saying it was posted somewhere else is a good reason to bring threads back to life?

Please, read before posting...

I'd say only perfectly forged tools should be reclaimable, give them a little extra value even than what they have already.

that was for whoever happened to see this post or used search

it would be nice if all similar threads had posts linking them so you could see what has been said

Yeah, nice excuse :

EDIT: and about the linking idea... it's pretty good ._.

I have an idea....maybe not forevertools, but a way so that, every time you repair it, it loses a percentage of max durability? Enough so that you can't use it forever, or even what seems like forever, but not so much that it won't last for a pretty freaking long time with good maintenance. Like, maybe when you repair it, it loses a percentage of max durability inversely proportionate to how much durability it had when it was repaired? So if you take care of it often, when it still has high durability, it'll last a lot longer than if you almost wear it out every time. And with this, eventually it'll fall apart, but not so quickly that it's useless.

I have an idea....maybe not forevertools, but a way so that, every time you repair it, it loses a percentage of max durability? Enough so that you can't use it forever, or even what seems like forever, but not so much that it won't last for a pretty freaking long time with good maintenance. Like, maybe when you repair it, it loses a percentage of max durability inversely proportionate to how much durability it had when it was repaired? So if you take care of it often, when it still has high durability, it'll last a lot longer than if you almost wear it out every time. And with this, eventually it'll fall apart, but not so quickly that it's useless.

eeh this has already been said

try looking upwards

just make sure there are no birds overhead when you do

once at camp I was walking through dense woods and a bird was flying above the threes and somehow got my sleeve

it stained

I really like that shirt :(

Once, in mexico, i was staying in a thatched roof building, i felt rain, except it wasn't raining... Beware iguanas and their mysterious fluid ejections...

that's because you never got caught under a group of seagulls.

after that, i don't think i'm ever going back to any country with seagulls living in there : the only problem? there are seagulls in my country too >.<

I liked this idea until the cost of repair is the same price as just making a new tool and that this would only make sense for a system that does not even exist, officially, in TFC... Ah well.

I liked this idea until the cost of repair is the same price as just making a new tool and that this would only make sense for a system that does not even exist, officially, in TFC... Ah well.

nobody said you had to take the idea whole hog, go ahead and modify it.

that's because you never got caught under a group of seagulls.

after that, i don't think i'm ever going back to any country with seagulls living in there : the only problem? there are seagulls in my country too >.<

seagulls are everywhere, and i mean everywhere

I cringe every time I'm at the beach and see some kid throwing the gulls bits of bread or w/e. They never have the decency to shit on the ones who fed them.

I like the idea of repair, but even more so of durability affecting the weapon. I was going to post a thread about this, but then checked the suggestion directory and noticed this one was very similar.

My bit on the durability is, have it affect the item's PERFORMANCE. A sword that is less than perfectly sharp shouldn't do full damage, just as a piece of armor that is damaged and dented shouldn't give full protection. Not only would this give a reason to repair things (I particularly like the idea of sharpening stones (carrying some challenge to them just like the anvil's to use properly) repairing things from seventy five durability to a hundred, then a reforging (breaking the head from the handle, heating it to bright red or white hot, then going through the anvil process again) repairing things from thirty or fifty percent up, and those below that being useless except for melting down to recycle the materials, or risking them breaking and disappearing in traditional mc fashion perhaps), but it would increase the benefit of using a skilled weaponsmith instead of just hacking it out on your own. Combine this with an inability to ever repair a weapon above its original durability without reforging (so no sharpening a shitty sword into a work of art) and more difficult smithing (perhaps more randomization on the steps and quicker cooling of metals to put people into a rush or require them to reheat several times in the process) would really help to create a market for well smithed weaponry and armor.

As to exactly how it works, I'd like to see the weapons' damage go down with their durability - very quickly between one hundred percent and seventy five (representing the sharpness of the weapon, as well as setting a large divide between good and shoddy weapons w/ the max durability cap) and then more gradually past that to thirty or fifty percent (as by this point it's more of a heavy blunt object than anything). Similarly armor would protect less and less as it decreased in durability, and past seventy five percent it would give the attacker higher and higher critical hit percentages, representing blows passing right through heavily damaged plating.

Would not just add some more flavor to the combat, but create a binding factor amongst the community on a server (especially if you made the smithing and repair REALLY difficult to get just right) as pvpers and raiders would still need to maintain good enough relations to get someone with the right skillset to manage their gear for them from time to time, or suffer a large disadvantage in combat.

will someone please get me my garlic and stake?

I actually hadn't seen this thread before, so I don't mind the undead necro-post. Do, however, as you must... *Hands Killster a wooden stake and a clove of garlic*

Hmm.

What if you can place a ceramic tray in the left anvil slot, and a damaged tool in the right, and you do some sort of thing to use metal from the tray to fix the tool?

Partially filled trays could be used to repair a tool.

The more precisely you get the thing aligned, the more efficiently that tray metal will repair the damage.

'My bit on the durability is, have it affect the item's PERFORMANCE. A sword that is less than perfectly sharp shouldn't do full damage,'

I very recently posted a thread about durability effecting output damage. check the damage discussion: round 16

correction, this is not a display of the forbidden art of Necromancey, but a valid revival of the thread, because it was a relevant post and not

just "HAY GUIZE LOOKIT WAHT I FOUNDSS"

HAY GUIZE.... oh, wait.

Yeah, sorry, I just happened to see it in the suggestion index thingy at the top of the forums and didn't notice how old it was.

HAY GUIZE.... oh, wait.

Yeah, sorry, I just happened to see it in the suggestion index thingy at the top of the forums and didn't notice how old it was.

nah its cool, reviving an old thread so that a new one doesnt need to be made is perfectly fine

While this one in particular is a revival. Has anyone else noticed the recent rise in revival/necromancy, or am I just going crazy?

We've had a couple newcomers, personally I think bringing any thread back after a period of time even if YOU added nothing is a good thing, new ideas are more likely to surface.

We've had a couple newcomers, personally I think bringing any thread back after a period of time even if YOU added nothing is a good thing, new ideas are more likely to surface.

Necros usually turn into a derail playground for us, they rarely turn into an on-topic discussion. Revivals are good though, and I think they should continue, as well as necros, but that's because necros can be entertaining :P.

Necros usually turn into a derail playground for us

That's the case for every thread.

And too be honest, without enchanting of sorts I don't really see any need for repairing tools.

If they break they give you a reason to find more materials. Otherwise it only matters for massive multiplayer servers where there is economy... althought I forgot how to phraze why. :mellow:

Are you saying this is somehow specific to necro threads?

I've seen threads in this forum derail page one with relevant conversations still trying to go on.

That's not the problem of the person bringing attention to the thread, they're not to blame for what other people do to derail.